Hotwire Hotel: 4.5* San Francisco (Union Square West) The Scarlet Huntington

valentinabear
By valentinabear,
in

Hi, I'm planning to book a hotel in San Fran through bidding at Price.line.com. I'm planning to hang out by Union Square/Downtown and visit the Golden Gate bridge. The lowest star rating I would go for is 3.5*. I'm willing to stay in JapanTown as well since it's not my first time going to San Fran. Hopefully I can get a room for $150/night but that's wishful thinking. The max is $200/night. Please advise.

At current rates my guess is that under $150 will not likely be enough, but under $200 should be do-able.

However, before bidding, HOTWIRE has (1 room left) what looks to be the well reviewed Scarlet Huntington for $178/nite... would this work well for your needs and something you'd want to purchase 'as-is'... or would you prefer to try bidding on PRICELINE?

If you want to start by PRICELINE bidding do you want to first try for a 4* up to your limit OR is the goal the least expensive 3.5* or better for this stay? As well, which zones do you want to include in your first bidding cycle?

If you're interested in the HOTWIRE property these are the amenities i'm seeing associated with the current offer:

Restaurant, Indoor Pool, Fitness, Smoke Free, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Spa, Room Accessible

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know how you'd like to proceed, or how it goes, and we'll take it from there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 4 weeks later...

My preference is a 3-5* in the union square east, fisherman's wharf and financial district. I see that there's a 4.5* in union square west. Is US west safe? Please advise. I will bid and use your Priceline.com link once you reply.

Below are the details from Hotwire:

Hot Rate Hotel
Union Square West area
Show map
 90% recommended
30%
OFF

LEFT!
 $214
per night

Amenities

Indoor pool(s)
    Smoke Free Rooms
    Fitness Center
    Restaurant(s)
    Business Center
    Internet access
    Spa Services

I see that there's a 4.5* in union square west. Is US west safe?

USW contains the 'tenderloin' district which has a bit of homelessness in it which makes some feel less safe, but there have not been any issues that i'm aware of. I think if you come from a large city where the homeless are visible, you're used to seeing this and it doesn't make you feel uneasy, but if you come from more of a suburban or rural environment i could see how some might consider it to be 'unsafe'.

For the HOTWIRE hotel I believe there are likely more amenities then what you have posted above as HOTWIRE has a new interface that does not show the complete set of amenities unless you click thru a few extra links.

If you repeat your search using our BiddingHelper.com tool... use the HOTWIRE EASY VIEW tab and then click the GREEN BUTTON next to this listing, do you see more amenities then what you have listed above? Using this method here is the full list of amenities that i see for this property:

Indoor Pool

Smoke Free

Fitness

Restaurant

Business

Hi-Speed Internet

Spa

Room Accessible

... if this is what you're now seeing my best guess for this one would be The Scarlet Huntington.

My preference is a 3-5* in the union square east, fisherman's wharf and financial district.

We need more information to suggest a strategy for you to follow... is the goal the least expensive 3* or better OR are you willing to pay more for a 5* vs. a 4.5* vs. 4* vs. a 3.5* vs. a 3*? As well, what should we use for your maximum bid at each star level?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I doubt that the homeless will bother me. They're just people at the end of the day.

My max is $200/night and I'm leaning towards a 4* so I'm willing to pay. If I'm close, then I can go over by $10.

My plan-up plan is a 3* so I'm flexible. Thanks Thereuare.

So to confirm...

A 4* hotel in USE, USW, FW, or Financial with a maximum bid of $200/nite? If this is correct, i would begin as follows:

Select 4* USE and Financial...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $148, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* USW and FW...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $148, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* USE and FW...

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $153, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $155, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $158, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $160, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $163, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $165, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* USW and Financial...

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $153, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $155, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $158, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $160, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $163, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $165, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* USE, USW, Financial...

Bid $168, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $170, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $173, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $175, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $178, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $180, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $183, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* USE, USW, FW...

Bid $168, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $170, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $173, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $175, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $178, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $180, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $183, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* USE, USW, Financial, FW...

Bid $185, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $188, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $190, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $193, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $195, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $198, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $200

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

I'm seeing a 4.5* in Union Square West for $216 - a little over your budget, but these are very expensive date/s, to the point where it looks like something's going on. 3.5*'s are appearing expensive, too.

Please confirm if you'd like to go for the HOTWIRE hotel at $216/nite, bid slightly higher, or lower your star rating to 3.5 stars.

Thank you for using the board's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

I didn't want to wait any more so I booked the hotel through Hot.wire and got the The Scarlet Huntington - 1075 California Street, San Francisco, CA 94108. 3.5* weren't that much cheaper so might as well get a better hotel. :) I checked the Scarlet Hungtinton website and saved $200 through Hot.wire.

Congratulations on your success!

Hope you're pleased with the results and are looking forward to your stay at this well reviewed property.

Thank you for sharing your win with the board.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]