Priceline Hotel: Bidding strategy for 3*(+). 5/18 - 5/21

Flp
By Flp,
in

Hi,

Could you please help me with a strategy (guide) for a succesfull bid ?

I'd like to get a hotel with 3.5* ( or 3*) hotel in Manhattan - excluding FD and Upper side - at a decent price ( aiming for 120$ before tax , 1 room 2 adults); My dates are fixed to 5/18 - 5/21.

I have already searched through Hot.wire and Priceline.Express in the past 2-3 weeks, but the prices are ridiculous ...

Should I wait for one more week ? I'm a bit concerned to reserve a 2* hotel after reading the reviews ...

Any thought is highly appreciated !

Thanks

I'd like to get a hotel with 3.5* ( or 3*) hotel in Manhattan - excluding FD and Upper side - at a decent price ( aiming for 120$ before tax , 1 room 2 adults)...

At current rates your budget is not likely enough... this is peak season for NYC and rooms generally go for more than $120/nite.

I have already searched through HOTWIRE and PRICELINE EXPRESS in the past 2-3 weeks, but the prices are ridiculous ...

If prices are much higher than your current budget then you'll likely need to re-think your budget. While PRICELINE bidding is usually less expensive than HOTWIRE or PRICELINE EXPRESS, it's usually not that much cheaper.

Should I wait for one more week ?

As it costs nothing to to bid (other than if your bid is accepted), what would be the advantage of waiting? Should you happen to get accepted at a 3* hotel at a rate of $120 or better, it would be a better deal than though possible, and i would say very little risk of seeing a better rated in the weeks ahead.

If you would like help with a suggested bidding strategy, to avoid any confusion, please list the zones (by PRICELINE name) that you are willing to accept (rather than the ones that you won't accept) and we'll advise accordingly. As well, if you're able to increase your budget at all let us know your new maximum bid.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Well, i've tried up to 135$ and 3* ( used your links ) ... but got nothing.

I will try in the next few days up to 150$.

I'd like to stay in Manhattan, somewhere close to subway ( I don't mind a 15 min walk to it, in fact we intend to walk quite a lot ), so the zones would be : CPS, Chelsea, ESB, HK, LES, MSG, MTE, MTW, Soho, TK. For a 3*, I'll go up to 233$ / night, tax included for a 700$ stay 3 nights.

Anything higher is just too expensive, considering that most of the time we're going to be outside

In this case, would you recommend 2.5* or even 2*?

The reason I ask if I should wait is that what I can see the prices are 2-3 times higher on 18-21 may than any other period, perhaps we'll get a 10-15% coupon or a good express deal )

Thanks!

Please post your budget in terms of bid price as it avoids confusion and makes it easier to evaluate deals and hotel rates as the present themselves.

I wouldn't bid 2*/2.5* in NYC unless i had exhausted my 3*/3.5* bidding and a good idea of what hotel i was getting via HOTWIRE or PRICELINE EXPRESS.

Currently any 3*/3.5* win at $165 or under i would feel 'pretty good' about and feel it would be worth locking in... then increase further as you get closer; but $120-$135 is just too low, imo.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

One more question before suggesting a strategy to follow...

In the CPS zone is the Hudson Hotel, which is well located, but has notoriously small rooms... would this be an acceptable outcome for this stay?

Please confirm so we know whether we should include/exclude CPS in a bidding strategy.

All we need is a clean room (with private bathroom though) in a safe area to stay. No problem is the room is small. We also have no problem walking to the subway (15-20 min) as long as the area is nice and safe. 

I know I have listed all of these zones (CPS, Chelsea, ESB, HK, LES, MSG, MTE, MTW, Soho, TK) as I spotted them on the map, but please feel free to remove any of them if they don't have hotels that are  "nice, clean and safe"

Thank you so much for your help!

Let us know what you decide to do about bidding on Priceline for the solo nite as that may effect the strategy above depending upon whether you are bidding for all 3 nites or just 2 of them.

Also, which zones are you abbreviating 'TK'... Times Square-Theatre District??

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$10 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: SAVEMORE

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $100+ purchase... expires 05/19/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]