Priceline Hotel: 4* Chicago (NMA-River North) Millenium Knickerbocker

kirikara
By kirikara,
in

hello

well i know priceline for a while but i finally discovered all the science that is under a good bid on priceline

so i am looking for a hotel for 2nights thursday 5th and friday6th at a 4* or 3* (if it is a good one) in chicago downtown.

and since it is a little romantic getaway, id like a pool (well i might as well push that far..)

so i have done all my little reseacrh/charts/etc,,, and here is what i come up with

as an example, the sheraton towers and the knickerbocker have both been won for the same aprroximative range price of 70-120(for the unclucky)

i would like the sheraton BUT would not like the knickerbocker (love the style, dont mind the old building but no pool.. )

as far as i know there is quite a lot of hotels wihtout pool on priceline is there nay way i can guess how to get a poll one?

Id really like to make my first bid a great one.

i checked all my hotels on hotwire as a backup but they all come up at about $90 to $100+...

any great advices to make my first bid a great expereince?? :)

thanks!

There's no way to know what you'll get on Priceline, which is why it's often cheaper than Hotwire.

Unless you can get the Sheraton for $65-90, I wouldn't consider it. I recently stayed there for $66 via a Priceline bid and while I was more than happy with it for that price, it should definitely not be considered a 4-star hotel. Room service is unbelievably outrageous (even for a hotel) and they charge you to use the fitness room. They charge you for just about everything. While the room was clean (if rather plain and sparse) and the bed was nice, the bathtub completely would not drain and noise from the water pipes was very loud. There was also a lot of hall noise. While the person at checkin was nice, the person at checkout (the in-room checkout wouldn't work) didn't seem to care less when we informed him that the bathtub wouldn't drain or that the in-room TV function wasn't working (not looking for a deal or anything, just wanted to inform them.)

I love the area and especially the nearby grocery (Fox and Obel, which is beautiful and a great deal of fun to shop around), but the Sheraton is just not that great. Fine if you get it for a low rate, but I'd be very upset had I paid full price.

The public areas of the Sheraton are very nice and most of the rooms offer nice views. However, while my room was clean, there have been a lot of complaints in online reviews about rooms looking ragged/dirty. And, despite the fact that the hotel makes a big deal about its "Sheraton Promise" for quality, the checkout experience was not very good.

What are the exact dates you're looking for and your exact budget?

thanks for the advice

we are looking for a hotel room for thrusday 5th and friday 6th of january

and obvisouly since we are young and fresh :) well we are looking at as cheap as we can/

i saw some people got deals for $60 or so and that is what i am looking at

if i dont find anything which is pretty likely i ll try the 3 stars we stayed at the holiday inn city center the first time we went to chicago and it is symbolic to us.

otherwsie i'll consider other area or staying only one night, but with the jet lag(ill be joining my husband and will therefore travelling from paris) i doubt ill be able to enjoy shopping much..

so here it is!

For that price, your best bet would be to bid for 3 stars River North/NMA, as you have the chance of either Holiday Inn or (although a very infrequent possibility) the Embassy Suites. You could also get the Allerton, however.

You could also consider 4 star Loop (Palmer and Chicago Hilton & Towers, each w/pool), but for around $60, you're probably more likely to get the Hyatt, which does not have a pool.

Either way, it's a bit too early (in my humble opinion) to bid. I'd wait till early Dec.

well here it is i won this

chicago NMA

i first tried 4 stars at $58 and separately 3stars at $55 but for thursday and friday

i changed date cause it was more convenient

and got the millenium for $60 a night

i guess it is not bad (it has some reviews about being old.. but i dont care ab9out that, i think some poeple are just too used to the 'brand new sparkling white charm less hotel" )

i hope i wont have bad surprises..

i just wished there was a swimming pool ;(

• 4 weeks later...

well i ve done a separate follow up with i what i won but if it can help anyone:

after bidding on priceline i got the millenium hotel on the magnificent mile for $145 for 2 nights including taxes.

(06/01/06 to 08/01/06)

et voila!

i am now trying to get anight in paris airport (charles de gaulle) for the 5th of january..but it seems to get more complicated.i have been bidding 3 times.. i guess i am just going ot have to stop trying to want everyhting for (almost) free :)

i bid 3/ 4 stars for $55-$60 and $65 and they keep ffering me a 3 stars room for $100 includign taxes ($87)

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]