Priceline Hotel: New York / 2014-04-30 to 05-06 / 2 pax / 3* or more / below 140 USD

derdom
By derdom,
in

Hey,

I would like to book a double room in NYC from April 30th to May 6th at a price below 140 USD per night and at least 3 stars.

I do prefer MTW, TS, ESBA, MSG, MTE, CPS, Chelsea. However, I guess all Manhattan zones should be okay (It is my first time in New York, so I am not sure).

Could you provide me with a bidding strategy and tell me when I should be bidding? Is sooner better or could it make sense to wait a bit?`

THANKS!

Welcome to BetterBidding!

I think your budget may fall a little short, but we can give it a try and if not successful weigh your options from there. However, to get started let's go over a few zone issues:

CPS- has the Hudson Hotel which is well located but has notoriously small rooms, would be this an acceptable outcome?

Did you want to start with only the zones you have listed above or should we include all the 'other' zones which you believe are acceptable as well? Generally speaking the zones you listed above are all mostly considered to be centrally located with the following caveats:

MTE - most zones are close to subway, but a few can be up to a 10+ minute walk away

Chelsea - subway can be 10+ minutes away, but this is a 'hot' area right now with lots of bars, clubs, cafes, etc, so even if you don't like the distance to the subway (many still find the distance acceptable, just not as convenient as other zones), this may still be a zone you want to include if you are into the 'scene' this area provides

"Other" zones:

Soho - Tribeca, Lower East Side, Downtown-Financial --> are all do-able, especially if the price is right, but may be less convenient then midtown. From Downtown-Financial to midtown you may be looking at a 20 minute subway ride, which isn't too bad, but perhaps not ideal if you're the type of person who likes to return to the hotel multiple times throughout the day

Upper East Side, Upper West Side --> i would avoid these at the onset as they are not that convenient for the average visitor, especially a first time visitor... you can include these later if you have to and are usuccessful in other zones

Let us know your thoughts as to which zones you'd like to include in your bidding, as well as if you're able to increase your maximum bid at all, and we will advise accordingly.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hey ThereUare,

thanks for your quick answer, here is what I think:

• Let us start with MTW, TS, ESBA, MSG
  • Then add CPS, MTE, Chelsea (the Hudson Hotel is okay for me, walking to the subway as well)
  • Then add Soho - Tribeca, Lower East Side, Downtown-Financial
  • If this all does not help, we add Upper East Side, Upper West Side

Does that sound right to you?

For the moment, I would like to stay with a max bid of 140 USD / night. I might be willing to change that later. 

Can you tell me when I should be bidding? Is sooner better or could it make sense to wait a bit?

THANKS!

Nobody can say if rates will come down, or move higher, between now and your trip, but should you have a bid accepted at $140 or less, i think there would be a great chance of rates increasing then for them to go substantially lower, so i would start to bid now.

Using your first 4 preferred zones i would bid as follows:

Select 3* MTW...

Bid $120, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3* TS...

Select 3* ESB...

Select 3* MSG...

Select 3* MTW and TS...

Bid $125, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3* ESB and MSG...

Bid $125, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3* MTW and ESB...

Bid $130, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3* TS and MSG...

Bid $130, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3* MTW and MSG...

Bid $133, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3* TS and ESB...

Bid $133, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3* MTW, TS, ESB...

Bid $135, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3* MTW, TS, MSG...

Bid $135, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3* ESB, MSG, MTW...

Bid $138, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3* ESB, MSG, TS...

Bid $138, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3* MTW, TS, ESB, MSG...

Bid $140

Any questions feel free to ask.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

The star rating you select is the minimum you are willing to accept, all of the higher star ratings are automatically included (and as AaronJB posted, you could be upgraded to a higher rated property)

I tried the following but was not successful. I decided to try the rest, if still not successful book a cheap hotel outside of the city that I can cancel and try again a couple of days before my trip.

MTW, 4.5*, $120
TS, 4.5*, $120
ESB, 4.5*, $120
MTW, 4*, $120
TS, 4*, $120
ESB, 4*, $120
MSG, 4*, $120
MTW, 3.5*, $120
TS, 3.5*, $120
ESB, 3.5*, $120
MSG, 3.5*, $120
CPS, 4.5*, $120
MTE, 4.5*, $120
Chelsea, 4.5*, $120
CPS, 4*, $120
MTE, 4*, $120
Chelsea, 4*, $120
CPS, 3.5*, $120
MTE, 3.5*, $120
Chelsea, 3.5*, $120
MTW, 3*, $120
TS, 3*, $120
ESB, 3*, $120
MSG, 3*, $120
CPS, 3*, $120
MTE, 3*, $120
Chelsea, 3*, $120
HK, 4*, $120
HK, 3.5*, $120
HK, 3*, $120
Soho, 4.5*, $120
Soho, 4*, $120
Soho, 3.5*, $120
Soho, 3*, $120
Lower East Side, 4*, $120
Lower East Side, 3.5*, $120
Lower East Side, 3*, $120
Downtown-Financial , 5*, $120
Downtown-Financial , 4.5*, $120
Downtown-Financial , 4*, $120
Downtown-Financial , 3.5*, $120
Downtown-Financial , 3*, $120
MTW and TS, 3*, 125
ESB and MSG, 3*, 125
CPS and MTE, 3*, 125
Soho and Chelsea, 3*, 125

LES and DF, 3*, 125 

Are you now willing to accept other zones, as you appear to have include areas that you didn't previously include in the zones that you find acceptable?

Are you willing to bid up to $140/nite, as currently i think even the $140 area is going to be on the low end of the likely acceptable range, so while bidding up to $125 is 'ok' just to test the waters and make sure you're not leaving anything on the table, i wouldn't be doing as 'detailed' bidding at that price point since your chances of success are very low.

Have you looked into prices of hotels outside of the city (try our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com which shows hotels near almost any address in the world and makes it easy to see how much more/less it would cost to go up/down in star rating or to stay closer/further for your ideal location) and how much they would cost... what is your best option outside staying outside of Manhattan?

What is your real maximum bid and acceptable zones if you continue to bid?

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$10 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: SAVEMORE

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $100+ purchase... expires 05/19/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]