Priceline Hotel: Is it too eary to bid on Key West for Feb.?

mfinn
By mfinn,
in

Hi. I need some help, please. Is it too early to bid on PL for Feb. 11-13 (checking out on 2/13)? There will be four adults traveling together and we plan to stay in one room. I understand that we won't be guaranteed two beds, but we are hoping for the best. We have been lucky so far through PL receiving two beds when there are four of us. We are driving to Key West from Ft. Lauderdale following a Caribbean cruise, so we will have a car. We would like to stay close to the water or at a beach resort.

Also, what is a good bid strategy? We don't want to spend over $100 per night incl. taxes and service charges.

Thanks for your help!

Mary

The hotels on the Atlantic side of Key West all have a lot of damage so be sure and call the hotels before you make any reservations. The Sheraton has damage from Katrina and Wilma. The Casa Marina has extensive damage on the first floor. The Reach has damage too. By February they should be getting into better condition again but keep in mind that there is lots to be done on the beach too. The Atlantic Shores pier is gone.

Thank you for the update. I had heard there was extensive damage to certain parts of the Keys. I hope repairs will be done by Feb. This will be our first visit to the Keys.

Again, does anyone know if it is too early to bid on rooms in Key West for Feb. due to the damage from the hurricanes?

What is a good bid strategy? We don't want to spend over $100 per night incl. taxes and service charges.

Thank you!

Based on your dates, you may have trouble getting 4 people in 1 resort room for $100 a night including tax/fee/resort fee on/near the beach. With a resort fee, that would be a $68 bid. Without would be $82.

Keep in mind that your dates are high season and a Saturday.

I'd look at Hotwire for your dates and see what comes up. I just tried and Key West was not available for dates in Dec, Jan, or Feb. I have not traveled there during Feb, but high season is more expensive.

I did just stay end of Aug 2005 and Paid $82 Total $99.80 + $15 resort fee for The Reach. Dec 2004, Hyatt for $72 Total $84.

I'd also look at a few hotels and see what their best rates are for your dates.

For example: ALL are +tax at 11.5% (for 2 people in room -- which is all priceline guarantees)

Hyatt Key West Resort and Marina on Front Street for Dec 12 is $240 For Feb 11 is $440

The Reach is $191 Dec $311 Feb PLUS $15.61 resort fee.

Courtyard Feb $299 (2.5 star), Fairfield (2 star) sold out.

Use one of the travel search sites to check out your options, then check the hotel for true price.

I guess the question is: where will you stay is you can't get the $100 price point? Also, keep watching this site for posts on successful bids and the property name.

It can't hurt to try a low bid now. I haven't seen anything from the Hyatt in a while. Mostly The Reach or Casa have been coming up.

I'm going there again in Dec 2005, but have not bid for anything yet.

Thanks for the info., frenchmn!

I have the Days Inn booked for a back-up plan. However, it is $297.48 plus tax for the two nights for one room with two beds. I am hoping to get something a little nicer for the two nights. If not, we can always stay there.

Thanks again for your help!

Mary

I just returned from a week in Key West and the Days Inn is very damaged. I would call that hotel and see

when they think that the hotel will be in good condition again. The historic section of Key West is in pretty good

shape but Roosevelt Ave and the Atlantic side of the ocean hotels are really hurting.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Sorry for the delay in updating this forum.

We went with the Day's Inn back in Feb. which we booked on our own since the rate was decent.

We arrived at the Day's Inn at 4:20 p.m. to check-in. The cc # they had in their system was incorrect, so they canceled our room at 4:00 p.m. that day. I asked why they hadn't called me on my cell ph, since they had the # in their system. The gentleman working at the desk was very rude and non-accommodating. He said it isn't their policy to do that. According to him, in twenty minutes, he had given our room away and the hotel was completely sold out since it was a Sat. evening. We drove down the road and found the Fairfield Inn by Marriott. They had two rooms left for a rate of $255.34 for one night.

The room was worse than disgusting. The carpet was so filthy that it made our feet black after showering. Our beds had brown stains all over them and they were falling apart. The shower and floor had hair all over it. I spoke to a lady in the hallway that said the same about her room. Upon returning home, I contacted Marriott to let them know about our experience. I was given 10,000 points on my Marriott frequent guest account and an apology from several Marriott Corp. key execs. I was told the Fairfield in Key West was scheduled for demolition prior to our stay but they could not obtain the necessary permit. It is still scheduled to be demolished and rebuilt. One of the execs. I spoke with told me we should have stayed at the Courtyard by Marriott property in Key West since it is much nicer. At least it was only for one night.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]