Priceline Hotel: Ithaca NY 4/10 - 4/13

sksf213
By sksf213,
in

I used Priceline's name your price about 3 weeks ago and booked a 2.5 star hotel in Ithaca at $65/night. It appears that the prices have jumped up and I'm looking to see if I can get a similar hotel 2.5 star for as inexpensive as possible. How much should I bid? Any other tips? My max is $100 per night, but hopefully I can get something closer to what I paid before.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

I used Priceline's name your price about 3 weeks ago and booked a 2.5 star hotel at $65/night.

Can you please add your win to the board as a NEW TOPIC so that others will be aware of your win when searching the topic titles on the board and in the Priceline and Hotwire Calendar of Wins and Priceline Maps.

In your post please include the star rating, city, zone, hotel name, room rate per nite, and dates of your stay... you can still view all of this information by going to PRICELINE and clicking the MY PROFILE >> MY TRIPS link near the top right of their home page.

Then read your messages and reply to this thread, we'll have a closer look at your April trip above.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Thanks.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Rates do unfortunately look noticeably higher for these dates - what would be your desired budget per night for this stay? There is no way to ensure a particular property when bidding on PRICELINE - if you bid for a 2.5* (for example) in a particular zone, you have to be willing to accept any hotel in the zone at the star rating chosen.

Thank you for using the board's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

I agree that at current rates $100 looks like it will be tough for these dates, but if you want to give it a try...

When bidding 2.5* in this region you have ONE re-bid zone. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 2.5* Downtown...

Bid $60, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $65

I'd repeat the above over the next 4-5 days increasing your bid by $5 each time (ie- next would be $70 and $75, then $80 and $85, etc, etc) until you hit your maximum bid of $100. At that point if not accepted post back and we will have a look at 2* options.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 1 year later...

Hello, for people researching staying in Ithaca in the future, I STRONGLY recommend looking at both the Ithaca College and Cornell admissions AND annual calendars for your chosen dates. (sometimes admissions special events are not posted to the college academic calendar, so look for two calendars for both colleges.) Special weekends (such as "Ithaca College Accepted Students Days"/"Cornell Days") are impossible to find any room at a reasonable rate, if you can find a room at all.

If you are interested, here are some real-World examples:

Two years ago I was considering "Parents' Weekend" and saw that the Comfort Inn was running over $200 a night, with a two night minimum. I couldn't afford $400 + tax at the time. Checking today for "Cornell Days" (Accepted Students Days): Homewood Suites by HIlton is.....(drumroll please...) $504.00 a night. Any of the hotels/motels known as "clean & nice" in Ithaca are gone. Super 8 has a great reputation, but is sold out. All the upper/mid level hotels like the Fairfield Inn & Suites are sold out. Only the ones with "iffy" ratings are available. And there are still three weeks until Cornell Days - I checked for the night of the April 10th, but the "Cornell Days" run from April 9th - April 20th - weekdays are less expensive.

I am not even sure if "bidding" for special college weekend days would even work, as they have a captive audience. For example, I stayed at the Holiday Inn over three years ago (it has since changed hands) and a gentleman who was helping me whispered that when my son graduated from college, I should call as soon as possible the morning after the prior year's graduation to book for the next year's (my son's) graduation. Also, if I booked graduation, I would need to book three nights, and it would be $300 a night. Occupancy Tax is 5%, so almost $1,000 for lodging for graduation weekend. It would be a non-refundable reservation. At a Holiday Inn. I wonder what the Hilton would cost? Now, this is three+ years ago, but Ithaca, while amazing, is fairly isolated. They have a captive audience. And the many hotels need to make money when they can. So, check the college calendars, and if there is a big special event, either try to choose another weekend (if you want to bid,) or if there is a big event, get a room as soon as possible. It is VERY important to follow the advice on Better Bidding; book a refundable rate room, then try bidding. If by some miracle you are able to score a deal on a room when there is a special weekend for one of the colleges, you can always cancel your refundable rate.

When we went for the "Accepted Students' Day" four years ago, I didn't understand this; My son received a great financial aid package, and we decided to attend the day, so it was a last minute decision (two weeks in advance) - I searched and called all over. I finally found a place, (I had to search for "yellow pages + hotels to find this place - it was not listed anywhere else online) and we truly stayed in the last room available in the town, at a place that we will NOT be going back to. Ever. But that is another story.

For my son's graduation, we will stay in the dorms for $170 for two nights at two per room.

(FWIW, for their graduation, Cornell charges $210 per person for three nights stay. - If someone missed out on making an Ithaca reservation for that weekend, which will be for this coming May 22-24 and they want a hotel, they can stay 40 minutes away in Horseheads - the Holiday Inn Express is charging $240 a night. As I write this, it is March 17th. The prices will only get higher. I hope that this helps someone out there.

ps, if your kid decides to go to one of these colleges, encourage them to do the "early explore week" then in future years volunteer to lead one of the "early explore weeks" for incoming freshmen - it is MUCH easier and less expensive to stay in Ithaca dropping them off then, rather than on "move in weekend." You may even get to bid!

I hope the OP found a room. I just noticed that he was trying for one of the Cornell Days dates, on a weekend.

Thanks for the tips and additional information... can congratulations on your son's upcoming graduation.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]