Hotwire Hotel: 4* New York City (Midtown Central) The Shoreham Hotel

Jose Buleo
By Jose Buleo,
in

Hello,

I've been reading this forum for a while and decided to post my questions and see if I find help.

My brother and I are visiting NYC for 6 days and are searching for a hotel where most of the touristic attractions are placed: Times Square, MoMA, Metropolitan, Science Museum, Theaters,... We don't care about fancy restaurants or pretty little boutique hotels (but we don't want a shared-bathroom or to get bitten by bedbugs (it's happened to me before in Amsterdam). We were thinking Midtown Central or Times Square as these areas are very well located.

We're on a budget and wouldn't like to pay more than 120$ a night (with city taxes and everything it goes up to over 140 which is a bit more than 100€ a night). I'm getting a $112 2-star hotel in Times Square-Theater District and 2-and-a-half hotel in the same place for $144. Do you think these are good options? Should I exand my circle and choose a different area? Or is it worth it paying $155 for the 3/4 star hotels in Midtown Central?

Also, last time my brother and I shared a bed was when we were very little. We are both very light sleepers but I know finding a two-bed room will be much more expensive. What are the possibilities of getting stuck with a double bed (smaller than 140 cm)?

EDIT: I've booked the Ramada New York Eastside with free cancelation for $165 just to have something secured until I decide to book thru either Hotwire or Priceline (if I ever do so)

Thanks for your help.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

You know your needs best, but in NYC we usually recommend sticking with the higher rated hotels (3* or better) as the quality at the lower levels can very greatly, even within the same star level... you could a diamond in the rough that is great and works out perfectly for your plans, or you could get something where you loath heading back to the hotel after a long day of exploring.

PRICELINE is usually a little cheaper than HOTWIRE, so assuming your plans are flexible (which it sounds like they are and you don't require much), i would look to bid for a 3* hotel up to ~$120 or so. Summer is usually low season in NYC, and while $120 may or may not eventually be enough, your back-up gives you the luxury to try for a few months before needing to make a decision (of lowering your star rating, increasing your bid, or sticking with your back-up plan)

Let us know your thoughts and we'll take it from there and also provide some further zone information.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Last night I tried to bid for a 4* at $125 and was (obviously) rejected. I see a 3* hotel in Times Square with Free internet, business center, restaurant and bed choice available for $153 and also two more hotels for $167 (Midtown West - pets allowed, restaurant, business center, bed choice available) and $169 (Midtown East - Free internet, restaurant, business center, fitness center, bed choice available). Any idea what these hotels may be? Also, what would be a good bidding strategy (for these three zones)?

PS: I don't know if this message is in the right place as we're talking about Priceline and not Hotwire.

You can keep all posts for this same stay in this same thread. When you report your win to the board using the EDIT TO REPORT WIN button on the lower right corner of this page, the thread will automatically be moved (if necessary) to the correct section of the board.

Your PRICELINE bidding and HOTWIRE searches above are really all over the map in terms of star rating and budget... what is your current maximum bid and minimum star rating for this trip?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

...the maximum bid would be $140-150... but I'd like to keep it to $120.
This doesn't tell us if any suggested bidding strategy should go up to $140 or should stop at $120??

What is it that you want to try bidding for first... a 3* hotel in the TS, MTE or MTW zones up to ___ ?

PS- note that the PRICELINE EXPRESS promo will be gone by the end of the weekend, so not sure if you want to be more aggressive in beating trying to the discounted PRICELINE EXPRESS deal or if you are not in any rush.

Sorry if I didn't explain things clearly.

I'm going to go for a 4* in these three areas. I've just started bidding at $118 (TS), 120 (TS+MTW) and 123 (TS+MTW+MTE) and have been rejected. Since I've got plenty of time, my plan is to go slowly and up to a maximum of $140. Then, if I don't get anything, try the 3*1/2 with the same strategy and then go for the 3* starting a bit lower and trying not to surpass the $120 limit.

Do you think it can work out? I'm not going to rush.

Thanks again.

You can use a better strategy that you are currently implementing, if you let us know your maximum bid at this time for a 4* hotel (obviously it's more than $120/nite since you have already bid over that amount) we will suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Also, the 10% PRICELINE EXPRESS promo in my signature will expire tomorrow nite (Sunday at midnite EST) so if you're using the net room rate (after discount) to determine your maximum bid, you'll need to increase that after the promotion is over (or decide that the 10% savings now is good enough to lock in a deal now)

There will be other discounts, but they are usually less than 10%, it is actually rare to see one this high for any PRICELINE EXPRESS purchase (sometimes you see them for individual cities, but not for any location)

When bidding 4* in NYC you have TWO re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* TS...

Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* MTW...

Select 4* MTE...

Select 4* TS and MTW...

Bid $128, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $133, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* TS and MTE...

Bid $128, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $133, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* TS, MTW, MTE...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $138, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

OK guys, I got an email with a nice deal from Hotwire. A 4* hotel in Midtown Central (which was my preferred area) and got The Shoreham Hotel for $114 per night. I didn't follow the link on the email, instead, I went to the support page here and click on the HOTWIRE link to give you credit for the help. I'm still trembling as this was a lot of money and I wasn't sure whether the decision was the right one but, anyway, I'll check the reviews... There's no way back.

The details for the trip were: NYC Midtown Central. Price: $114 (it was fluctuating between that and $116).

Amenities:

Free Internet

Pet friendly

Boutique Hotel

Fitness Center

Restaurant(s)

Business Center

Self service laundry

Internet access

Spa Services

EDIT TO INCLUDE SOME EXTRA INFO: I got billed $875.71 including taxes and fees. I've found the same room on Expedia for $982.20.

Congrats on your success. :)

Good deal for this well-located property! Hope you are looking forward to your stay.

Thank you for letting us know about the change in amenity set for this HOTWIRE property so that we can update the site's Hotwire Hotel List.

Thank you for sharing your win and please use the site's PRICELINE or HOTWIRE links to start your purchases and searches.

Enjoy your stay.

That's interesting. How is that possible to get an email from HOTWIRE. I know that procedure after bidding on Price.line but Hotwire has not have your request. Have your received an offer via a newsletter from Hotwire or what have your received? I also need a 4* hotel in the summer but the only offer I can see over both, PCL and Hotwire, is a offer around 170$. How can I get 114?

Thank you in advance for your help.

I wonder there would be a room for me around 114$...

Rates in NYC vary considerably from day-to-day and seasonally - if you have different date/s prices are going to vary, possibly considerably. Please start a new thread with the details of your stay and we would be happy to offer our thoughts.

Thank you for using the board's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]