Priceline Hotel: 4* Hotel in San Juan or Isla Verde

Bazal
By Bazal,
in

Hey,

My mother and I are planning on going on a cruise in May (Royal Caribbean(. But we want to spend 3 days in San Juan - May 21 until May 24. The issue is - the hotels are expensive (with taxes ranging from 25-30%!!!) + their ratings (as in approval ratings) aren't good. Frankly - I don't want to spend to much on a hotel because 1) I'm paying for the entire trip, 2) Not spending lots of time there and 3) Would want to spend the money on restaurants/souvenirs/activities.

That being said - I've NEVER used priceline before - so I'm real nervous. I get the gist of it… I’m thinking of bidding on Ocean Park-Isla Verde and Old San Juan–Condado… plan to bid for 4 stars… What can I expect in terms of hotels. Also – should I keep both Old San Juan and Isla Verde… or go for one of them. I am looking for a nice location (safe) with some restaurants and shops. I understand breakfast is typically not included with hotels (but 30% taxes is <....<)

Thanks

Welcome to Betterbidding. :)

What would be your desired budget per night for this stay? Breakfast is not offered at many properties in this area, although you can look at PRICELINE Express (listings rather than bidding) or HOTWIRE (listings rather than bidding) to see if any hotel has a "free breakfast" amenity.

Thank you for using the board's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Thanks for your response. I don't want to spend more than $150 per night (I can go higher if it's worth it - but the ratings for even the high star hotels/brand names are not good)... given taxes can go 30% - looking at 100-120/night (I know that's cheap... but here's for hoping).

If you haven't yet, please start by reading your messages.

HOTWIRE has what i believe to be the well reviewed Ciqala Luxury Suites - San Juan for $95/nite. I don't know much about the immediate area surrounding this hotel, but it is not near the beach (i did read one review that mentions they offer a shuttle to the beach, but i'm not sure which one) and the do offer a free included breakfast.

A bit over your budget i'm also seeing what appears to be the Hotel El Convento, which is also highly reviewed, and directly in Old San Juan, which would have you closer to shops, stores, restaurants, etc... but also not at the beach.

If you are looking for the beach the Isla Verde zone is the one that is closer to the beach.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know how you'd like to proceed and we'll take it from there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I just got back from two stays in San Juan. One of 2 days and one of 4 days, with another trip between. The rates were even higher then than you are looking at. In order to keep things within my budget I stayed once quite near the Ciqala Luxury Suites thereuare mentioned, and once in the Ocean Park area. While I had a great time, I really can't recommend either area. I'd have to describe them as "rough". They felt safe in the day time, but I was advised by the hotel to not go out by myself after dark. PR has a per capita income that is about 1/2 that of the lowest US state - Mississippi. While there are beautiful well-kept areas, the island and city are very spotty. Areas change quite sharply from truly elegant to 3rd-world.

I wandered about as far as train, bus and my feet would take me. Covered a lot of areas.

I walked from the Ciqala area to Old San Juan one day. About an hour walk. Interesting, but I wouldn't recommend it.

While Isla Verde is lovely, and parts of Ocean Beach are, Isla Verde is a long ways from Old San Juan and the other parts of Ocean Beach are not really nice.

I really think you'd be best off going with the Old San Juan-Condado Priceline zone and bidding within your budget. The 4*s there are gorgeous, and the 3.5*s very nice. You will be central to most everything, and it will be possible to get to the other areas reasonably easily. On another trip I bid and got the 3.5* Sheraton Old San Juan. It is about a 1/2 block from where some of the ships dock. Note in the Hotel Lists the hotels members have reported getting via bidding. Look in the Hotel Review section at the very end of this site ("P" for Puerto Rico). www.tripadvisor.com is also excellent, but doesn't have the unique perspective of people getting bargain rates.

Buses are very erratic, although they only cost $.75 a ride. The only maps I found were an out-dated one on the internet and one posted on the wall of the terminal. Signs for the buses are very iffy. Sometimes stolen, or unreadable. A bus driver laughed when I asked for a schedule. Apparently the bus company choses not to publish them. Still - with patience and persistence you can move about on them.

There is a free trolley with several routes about Old San Juan. The Green Route is particularly beautiful. One of the other routes goes around Old San Juan and through the Condado area.

A train runs from outer San Juan in a big arc on into the island a bit. I wouldn't say really scenic, but interesting.

And the Bacardi Rum Factory tour is great fun. While tour ships charge about $65, it is simple to do with a $.50 ferry ride and a $7 taxi ride.

Taxis from the airport are wonderfully organized. A line, and set rates to various areas. Old San Juan is under $20.

Romelle

PS - I'm a member, not anybody official to this board, so the opinions are strictly mine.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]