Priceline Hotel: Need help with 3.5* Ft. Lauderdale (Downtown-Port Everglades) hotel, 2/22 (cruise)

Travelgirl22
By Travelgirl22,
in

Brr! Freezing in Chicago, just writing this post makes me warmer!

I need to book a hotel in Ft. Lauderdale, one night, 2/22 (Sat.) near downtown which I understand is close to Port Everglades.

Area: Ft. Lauderdale, Downtown

Desired rating: 3.5*

Desired rate: $110

Current 3.5* rates for desired area: Crowne Plaza Ft. Lauderdale Airport/Cruise, $277, Riverside Hotel, $234/nt (a few other hotels in the area are at capacity for that night, so that's either a busy cruise weekend or it's just difficult to get a Saturday night only)

Free rebids: Airport North, Hollywood, Pompano Beach, Miramar

The only reason I want to bid is because the express rates for that area are at least $191/nt. Even the 3* Holiday Inn Express Ft. Lauderdale is listed at $269. Thanks for your help! B)

If rates in the area are high for your dates then it will likely effect all rates, not just PRICELINE EXPRESS. The bidding side of PRICELINE would not be immune from higher than usual bid prices needed for a win, and with PRICELINE EXPRESS at nearly $200/nite, a 'name your own price' win at around the $110 would not seem likely at this time.

HOWEVER, to begin, you first need to confirm your re-bid zones as there are only TWO re-bid zones available when bidding 3.5* in the Fort Lauderdale region. Are you using the method outlined at Priceline Re-Bidding Explained to determine your re-bid zones?

Or you can try the following:

1) Use the PRICELINE search box on the upper right of this page, enter 'Fort Lauderdale' and your dates, and click "GO".

2) List each zone that is offered in this region.

3) Next to each zone list the highest star rating offered in the zone. The way to determine the highest star rating offered in the zone is by selecting the first zone i the list, then scrolling down to see the highest star rating selectable (ie- not greyed out). NEXT UNcheck the selected zone, place a checkmark in the next zone, and repeat the process for each zone in the region. Each time you take note of the highest star rating in the zone, make sure that only ONE zone is selected above.

4) post your findings and we'll take it from there

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Ah! Thanks for that tip! I was determining the star rating based on the FLL hotel list on this website. I did as you said and checked via Priceline by selecting the different zones, and find that ONLY Airport North and Miramar are my rebid zones! I've been bidding for years, but not every year, so glad to have this website to help me keep up.

I will wait a few more days, see if rates change (in 3* as well), then update request.

:D

Yes, you have your TWO re-bid zones correct now, but always double check just before bidding to make sure that nothing has changed since you last checked.

Let us know once you're ready to move forward and how we can be of further help.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 2 weeks later...

Decided to bid for a 4* in FLL Beach instead, since more rebid zones, more hotels with rooms available and Hyatt Pier 66 listed rate of $199 for my dates, so I bid PL up to $107 using all 6 free rebids, no luck. I see the Hyatt Pier 66 listed here as possible hotel but didn't see it on PL when I checked prices for named hotels, so I was afraid to choose Express 4* FLL Beach hotel I saw for $216. Trying to stay under $125 total. Will try again Friday?

Any idea what this could be? I know last time that zone definitely didn't have one.
This is why we ensure that user's know how to determine their re-bid zones on their own and recommend they check before every bidding cycle, as the re-bid zones can and do change at any time.

The Marriott Pompano Beach would be at least one possibility at the 4* level in this zone.

Are you interested in also considering a 4* in Pompano Beach for this trip?

Surprised, both hotels in that range, the Riverside and Crowne Plaza, are coming in at just over $200, thought for sure a $155 bid would snag one. Oh well, thrill of the chase!
I just want to say that this is a very busy cruise weekend for both Fort Lauderdale and Miami so this is probably the explanation. I would try to get this stay settled ASAP.

Keep us updated on your progress and let us know what you ultimately decide or if we can be of further help.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your purchases and searches.

Yellowdog.

3.5* FLL Downtown, one night, up to $155 with no luck.
At this rate if I want to keep the cost at under $200 downtown or airport, I will have to choose 2*, correct?
If wouldn't give up on Dowtown yet, please try to your limit before moving on bidding 2* there. And I don't think you have to go 2* for the airport zone if your max budget is $200. I think you can get a 3* within your budget.

Just post if you have any questions and/or how you'd like to proceed and we'll try to help further.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your purchases and searches.

Yellowdog.

To confirm, you have already been rejected for a 3.5* in the Downtown zone up to $155, correct?

If so, using your FIVE re-bid zones at the 4* level, and TWO re-bid zones at the 3.5* level, i would bid as follows:

Select 4* Downtown...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $155

If the above is rejected close browser and re-try, once again starting with this board PRICELINE link:

Select 3.5* Downtown...

Bid $155

IF this too is rejected, close browser and re-try, once again starting with this board PRICELINE link:

Select 4* Beach...

Bid $100, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $105, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $110, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* Beach and Downtown...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $155

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Thanx so much for your help! Last night (midnightish) I bid for 3.5* downtown with no luck.

This morning I followed your bidding strategy for 4* downtown, 4* beach (up to $130) and 4* beach and downtown, up to $155 with no luck. Got worried, at first I only counted 4 rebids, almost forgot FLL North. I have reserved a cancellable backup at a Holiday Inn ($209+ tax). I will keep checking prices and rebid tomorrow or Sat. I know the sat. checkin is throwing it off.

In doing the math, I note that HI does have a free shuttle from airport and a shuttle to the ship port (not sure how much), wonder if it would be better to keep HI reservation? Just thinking out loud...

If you didn't, please check for and use the links in our Support Page for your hotel direct and back-up reservations, where we have links to most of the major hotel chains and online booking agencies, including the Holiday Inn chain.

Even if free, and depending upon taxi cost to the pier, i wouldn't necessarily rely on the hotel shuttle to get to the pier, especially on a busy cruise day, as the shuttle can be crowded as well as stop at different terminals before your own, and can often be an unpleasant way to start a vacation. (but again, depends upon how crowded and how much savings would be involved vs. a taxi on my own)

My guess is that $150 would not be enough for a 3* hotel in either of these zones, but it's worth trying, as rates can fluctuate dramatically (in both directions) when you're this close to your arrival... my guess is that you're likely looking at $175-$195 for a 3* or better in any of these zones (and higher rated hotels in about the same range as well)

Let us know whatever you decide to do for this trip or how we can be of further help.

Glad you're back online! Love the new look!

Right now, I made a reservation at the Hyatt Pier 66, $199/nt, since it's close to the piers. Looks like the 3.5* Crowne Plaza is down to $239/nt, but not sure if I would snag it for under $200 during a PL bid. The Hyatt has a 72 hr cancellation policy, so I would have to cancel TODAY, I think, to avoid penalty. Looks like the 4* beach and downtown have gone down a bit, do you think I'd be able to get a room under $200 using the same strategy as earlier? Hotwire has one 4* beach for $204 as well.

Hate to mention other websites, but Last Minute Travel has a 3.5* beach hotel for $162, but I've seen several negative reviews for this website, so I'm inclined to avoid.

Thanks SO much for your help!

Thanks for the compliments on the ugprade... still a few minor kinks to work out but i'm sure we'll get thru them in due course.

With the downtime and extra work of the upgrade, sorry we didn't get to reply to this thread sooner, did you ultimately stick wtih the Hyatt?

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Hey!  Thanks for your reply.

Currently, on Priceline.Express, there is a 4* beach hotel for $186 with these amenities:

Outdoor swimming pool

pets allowed

restaurant

business center,

fitness center

Any idea what this might be?  Once the taxes and fees are factored in, the total cost is $217, just shy of my current reservation at the Hyatt ($220 with tax).  I'm not sure a bid would bring this down enough to try and alter my current reservation (I think I could change the date to next week, then cancel on Sat. without penalty, unless hotels have caught on to that?). 

Thanks for all your help!

:D

Currently, on PRICELINE EXPRESS, there is a 4* beach hotel for $186 with these amenities:

Outdoor swimming pool

pets allowed

restaurant

business center,

fitness center

I'm no tcurrently seeing this property offered when searching for your dates... the 4* hotel i see is priced at $236/nite and has different amenities then those above.

I think I could change the date to next week, then cancel on Sat. without penalty, unless hotels have caught on to that?

Once you're inside the cancellation period you can't count on this working, imo. The hotel would have no reason to allow any changes to the reservation at that point.

Have a great trip.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]