Hotwire Hotel: Help identify please: 4* Amsterdam hotels City Center/Canal Belt Jordaan

Hermionegio
By Hermionegio,
in

Good morning,

I just recently found out about BetterBidding as this is my first attempt with Priceline.com.

I'll be in Amsterdam from April 20 to April 23 2014 and would love to find a 5* hotel either in Central Canals Area or City Centre. Both are equally acceptable, anyway.

The maximum willing bid is around $ 170

I already submitted a few bids before finding out about this forum, all failed (of course!):

-$ 111

-$ 118

-$ 123

-$ 125

-$ 127

-$ 131

-$ 135

-$ 141 (at 11.30am, Italian hours)

I decided to give PRICELINE a try when I saw that even on AirBnB houses for this town and period weren't exactly cheap; I decided the maximum amount for both sites in my head (it's basically the same) but, clearly, if I'm lucky enough to have a good hotel for the same amount, I'll pick the hotel and I'll keep AirBnB as a last resort.

I'm also using BB's links to check both PRICELINE.com and HOTWIRE. :)

Thank you very much in advance!

Hello again,

Thanks to your link to HOTWIRE, I searched for some deal in Amsterdam, from April 20 to April 23 2014.

I found two interesting deals for a 4* star hotels but, since lots of 4* hotels of the town are not very good (according to several reviews), I'd like to find out in advance what hotels they can be:

CITY CENTR, DAM SQUARE AREA

€ 128 ($ 170)

Amenities: Free Internet, Restaurant, Business Center

Still gathering reviews

Far from Schipol Airport 7,1 mi.

CANAL CENTRAL BELT JORDAAN

€ 103 ($ 136)

Amenities: Free Internet, Smoke Free Rooms, Business Center

Tripadvisor revires: 4 out of 5

Far from Schipol Aiport 6,8 mi.

(Hotwire's message: the last person got The Albus Hotel)

Thanks a lot

Welcome to BetterBidding :)

Please keep all posts in the same thread since posts are for the same stay.

I already submitted a few bids before finding out about this forum, all failed (of course!):
You have a lot of bidd left before you hit your budget. Would you like any help with a bidding strategy for a 5* hotel?

CITY CENTR, DAM SQUARE AREA ($170)

I believe there may have been more amenities than you listed in your post. HOTWIRE has a new interface which is not currently showing the complete set of amenities at the usual point of the search process.

Please run a new search using our BiddingHelper.com tool at the top of this page. Once the search is completed, use the EASY VIEW TAB and click the GREEN BUTTON next to this listing to view the complete set of amenities. Then copy and paste the amenities in a reply to this thread and we will then have a look at this offer.

I can't get the same hotel to appear on my standard search for 2 adults. How many rooms/adults/children did you search for? Can you please run a new search and confirm that you still can see this hotel on your search.

Would you like to continue bidding or should we take a look at your HOTWIRE request first?

Thanx for using boards PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links

Yellowdog.

Thanks a lot, Yellowdog! :) I thought I had to separate the threads because one belonged to PRICELINE and the other to HOTWIRE, good to know!

As for PRICELINE yes please, I'd love to have some help for a strategy for a 5* hotels in those areas. I'm not an expert at all, therefore I'm sure I made some mistakes.

I followed your suggestions for the amenities of Hotwire as well: unfortunately, for the Canal Central Belt Jordaan area hotel, I'm afraid they were not much more:

FULL AMENITIES: Free Internet, Smoke Free Rooms, Business Center, Internet access
For the City Centre, instead, that's all I could find.

However, we can start with PRICELINE. :)

Again, thank you very much!

At current rates i think you're going to need to be closer to the $200-$220 area than the sub-$170 area for a 5* hotel in one of the two zones you mentioned, but if you want to give it a try using your previously stated $170 maximum bid, you can try as follows...

When bidding 5* in Amsterstam you have FOUR re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 5* Central Canals...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $155, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $158, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 5* City Centre...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $155, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $158, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 5* Central Canals and City Centre...

Bid $160, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $163, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $165, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $168, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $170

Any questions feel free to ask.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thank you very much for your help, thereuare!

You were right, the bid has been unsuccessful.

Do you think I should wait a little while and try again in the future, hoping that the rates get low a little bid? I read the FAQ and I know that time doesn't really affect the bidding (meaning that sometimes it can help and sometimes not), I was just wondering.

Meanwhile I guess I should probably try to find out about HOTWIRE deals: do you think is it possible to find out what hotels are they?

I checked at Hotwire whether or not those hotels are still available, they are and now BiddingHelper.com is showing some more amenities for the City Center one (yesterday it didn't). So, to sum up:

CITY CENTRE, DAM SQUARE AREA

($ 161)

FULL AMENITIES: Smoke Free Rooms, Fitness Center, Restaurant(s), Business Center, Self service laundry, Internet access

Tripadvisor reviews: 4 out of 5

Hotwire customer reviews: 75% ok

($ 140)

FULL AMENITIES: Free Internet, Smoke Free Rooms, Business Center, Internet access

I forgot to mention that I'm searching for 1 double room.

Thank you!!

Nobody can say if rates will come down, or move higher, between now and your stay if you choose to wait.

The HOTWIRE properties above are 4* rated... would you sooner go with these so you can have a guess at the hotel OR if you're looking for the lowest possible price first try bidding on PRICELINE at the 4* level? Are you willing to compromise your 5* rating for a 4* hotel for this trip at this time?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Are you willing to compromise your 5* rating for a 4* hotel for this trip at this time?

That's a very good question. I guess I could wait a little while to see what happens with Priceline, I'm just afraid I could lose other options. To be honest Amsterdam is really giving me a hard time with hotels; from what I read on TA it's really rare to find a 4* hotel that's really a 4*, I read lots of very bad reviews for most of them, that's why with Priceline I opted for a 5*. If I decide to go in a 4* I have to be sure to know in advance the name of the hotel and I perfectly know that Priceline isn't the right choice, in this case.

Hotwire, on the other hand, gives you the chance to try to ID the hotel it has deals for and if I'm unsuccessful as well, I'd still have AirBnb.

So, in the end, I think I'll proceed with Hotwire at the moment.

Just a question: if I use BiddingHelper, I still use BB's link for Hotwire, right? I just want to be sure to use your links.

I made a new search in Hotwire, this time I added other zones, the closest ones to the City Centre and Central Canal Jordaan. The overall results, currently, are:

CITY CENTRE, DAM SQUARE AREA 4*

($ 157)

FULL AMENITIES: Smoke Free Rooms, Fitness Center, Restaurant(s), Business Center, Self service laundry, Internet access

(Hotwire's message: the last person got NH Barbizon Palace)

CANAL BELT JORDAAN 4*

($ 138)

CANAL BELT EAST PLANTAGE 4*

($ 133)

FULL AMENITIES: Free Internet, Restaurant(s), Business Center, Internet access

Far from Schipol Aiport 7,48 mi.

(Hotwire's message: the last person got NH Schiller)

MUSEUM QUARTER VONDELPARK 4*

($ 137)

FULL AMENITIES: Pet friendly, Boutique Hotel, Smoke Free Rooms, Restaurant(s), Business Center, Self service laundry, Internet access, Spa Services, Accessible bathroom

Far from Schipol Aiport 5,6 mi.

Hotwire customer reviews: 90% ok

(Hotwire's message: the last person got NH Amsterdam Centre)

APOLLOLAAN RAI AMSTEL CANAL 4*

($ 123)

FULL AMENITIES: Free Internet, Smoke Free Rooms, Fitness Center, Restaurant(s), Business Center, Self service laundry, Internet access, Spa Services

Tripadvisor reviews: 3,5 out of 5

Far from Schipol Aiport 6,1 mi.

Hotwire customer reviews: 85% ok

APOLLOLAAN RAI AMSTEL CANAL 5*

($ 145)

FULL AMENITIES: Free Internet, Indoor pool(s), Smoke Free Rooms, Fitness Center, Pool(s), Restaurant(s), Business Center, Self service laundry, Internet access, Spa Services, Accessible path of travel, Accessible bathroom

Tripadvisor reviews: 4,5 out of 5

Far from Schipol Aiport 6,1 mi.

Hotwire customer reviews: 95% ok

(Hotwire's message: the last person got Hotel Okura Amsterdam)

Apparently, prices decreased a little bit.

CITY CENTRE, DAM SQUARE AREA 4*

Best guess Swissotel Amsterdam.

MUSEUM QUARTER VONDELPARK 4*

Best guess Bilderberg Hotel Jan Luyken

APOLLOLAAN RAI AMSTEL CANAL 4*

Best guess Wyndham Apollo Hotel

APOLLOLAAN RAI AMSTEL CANAL 5*

Hotel Okura Amsterdam

Sorry to say that I don't have any guess for the both Cana Belt hotels.

if I use BiddingHelper, I still use BB's link for Hotwire, right? I just want to be sure to use your links.
Yes. it's the same thing when you book trough boards BiddingHelper.com

Thanx for using boards HOTWIRE and PRICELINE links

Keep us updated on your progress and let us know what you ultimately decide or if we can be of further help.

Yellowdog.

Thank you so much yellowdog, for all your answers!

If the City Centre is really the Swissotel, it would be really interesting, even though it is now at $161 instead of $157. Does Hotwire increase prices a bit during the weekend? Is that the reason?

In your experience, how reliable Hotwire's messages are or, at least how much can we consider them a reference?

I'm asking because the two Canal Belt hotels have apparently changed now, after a new search:

CANAL BELT JORDAAN 4* ($ 142): FULL AMENITIES: Free Internet, Smoke Free Rooms, Business Center, Internet access (according to Hotwire, the last person got the Dikker And Thijs Fenice this time, last time it was The Albus)

CANAL BELT PLANTAGE 4* ($ 100): FULL AMENITIES: Free Internet, Smoke Free Rooms, Restaurant(s), Business Center, Self service laundry, Internet access, Accessible for the blind, Accessible path of travel, In-room accessibility, Wheelchair accessible, Accessible bathroom, Roll-in shower (and last person got the NH Caransa)

The amenities of the second one have completely changed, hence I guess it is not the same hotel I posted previously about. But maybe I'm wrong.

On a side note, I read an article with some tips about Priceline's bidding. One of them states that in order to bid, we should check the Express Deal rate for the same area and hotel rating we chose to bid for and, if it's still too high (compared to the maximum amount we are willing to bid), we should wait for the Express Deal to decrease: is that true?

Again, thanks a lot!

even though it is now at $161 instead of $157. Does Hotwire increase prices a bit during the weekend? Is that the reason?
No, this is normal for HOTWIRE. The price can be +/- a few dollars from search to search.
In your experience, how reliable Hotwire's messages are or, at least how much can we consider them a reference? I'm asking because the two Canal Belt hotels have apparently changed now, after a new search:
The "last person got ..." message shown by HOTWIRE is in reference to the last person who won a hotel in that zone at that star rating... it doesn't apply to the amenity set of the current offer nor does it say anything about the current hotel offered.
if it's still too high (compared to the maximum amount we are willing to bid), we should wait for the Express Deal to decrease: is that true?
It depends on how you look at this and how knowledge you're about the zone you're bidding on. You need to know the going rates to use this method. What are you going to do if the price increase? So I wouldn't rely on this if I bid for the first time in a new zone.

Keep us updated on your progress and let us know what you ultimately decide or if we can be of further help.

Yellowdog.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your purchases and searches.

Thank you so much for your help.

Can I also ask what should my strategy be in case I'd try to win a 4* with Priceline (considering there is just one zone for free re-bids, in this case)?

Also, apart from the hotel list, is there any suggestion in trying to ID some possible hotels beforehand?

Again, thanks!

Sorry for the double post, but apparently I am no longer able to edit my last one.

I'm a bit worried now because I ran into several very bad reviews about Hotwire: awful customer care, people who arrived at their hotel and found out their reservation was canceled without their knowledge, refunds refused in case of wrong star rating and so on. Now, I apologize if this is not the right section of the forum to discuss this but obviously, before proceeding with any reservation whatsoever, I want at least to be sure that the service I'm using is reliable. In fact, I found out that whereas Priceline has a 4 out of 5 stars rating on TrustPilot, Hotwire has only 1 out of 5.

Am I worrying too much?

Review the results on the board and overall users are satisfied with both services.

Issues arise with most businesses, but many of the problems you read about with PRICELINE / HOTWIRE are users not educating themselves beforehand... expecting a specific hotel and then complaining if they get something else, needing to cancel due to a change of plans and not being able to (and then 'blaming' the service for not refunding their purchase even though they agreed to the non-refundable aspect of their purchase), etc, etc. With this noted HOTWIRE is often a bit more 'generous' with their star ratings then PRICELINE; often the two services have the same star rating for the same hotel, but if they differ, it is usually HOTWIRE that is a half star rating higher.

With HOTWIRE you can take a guess as to the hotel offered based upon the star rating and amenities shown beforehand, with PRICELINE there is no way to guess and you need to be willing to accept any hotel in the zone at the star rating (or higher) that you choose, since there is no information provided about the property before your purchase. One other aspect about HOTWIRE is that they often show TA ratings and/or user satisfaction levels, so you can use these to your advantage in the sense that if you choose a hotel with a very good TA rating (if shown), even if you receive a hotel other than the one you expect, you still have a 'safety net' of it being a good one (based upon the TA rating and previous user feedback)

Let us know your thoughts if you think PRICELINE or HOTWIRE is the best route for you for this trip and we will take it from there.

Thank you very much, thereuare, I'm more relaxed now! :)

Priceline I'm afraid is unsuccessful for me, for the budget I have. I'll probably go on with Hotwire, but it seems hotels change all the time, that's why I can still figure out what should I pick: is it possible that the Hotwire hotel posted previously did already change?

PRICELINE is usually a little cheaper than HOTWIRE.

Hotels are constantly changing/adding/removing inventory from the system based upon their updated inventory (as new reservations and/or cancellations come in they adjust pricing, as well as inventory given to the opaque suppliears)... you may see the same hotel offered from now until your trip OR you could see it disappear the next time you search.

Yesterday night Hotwire proposed a 5* hotel in the City Centre (which I guessed was the Grand Hotel Amrath) at $ 157; I didn't even have the time to click on "Book now" that it was already gone and in 10/15 minutes prices for the areas I selected changed something like 6/7 times. Wow, now I perfectly know what you mean, thereuare! :D Timing is essential, but I won't give up and I'll keep monitoring.

Some further questions:

1) When I try to ID a hotel in Hotwire, can I rely on the distance from the airport or should I only consider the amenities? A little example:

I'm monitoring a hotel in Canal Belt West Jordan area. Amenties are quite common (in full, thanks to BiddingHelper, are: Free Internet, Smoke Free Rooms, Business Center, Internet access) but I can also see that TA gives it 4 out of 5 and, most of all, it's supposed to be 6,8 mi. far from Schipol Airport. If I try to check all those info at Hotels.com and on TA, the only hotel matching these data is the Dikker and Thijs Fenice hotel.

However, I'm also monitoring a hotel in City Centre Dam square, whose full amenities are Free Internet, Fitness Center, Restaurant(s), Business Center, Wheelchair accessible, far from Schipol Airport 7,1 mi and TA gives it only 3.5/5 (even though Hotwire says that's reccomended by 95% of customers). Checking the same sites, there are only two hotels that are far from Schipol 7,1 mi. (i.e. the Ambassade and the Notting Hill) but both have 4.5/5 on TA and amenties do not quite match. At another check at TA, it seems more the NH Barbizon, which has 3.5/5 and same amenities, but is far from Schipol 7.9 mi and not 7.1. mi.

2) In case I'd want to give Priceline another shot, what strategy should I follow for a 4* hotel (considering there's just one zone for free re-bid)? Also, I realized my maximum amount for 5* not only was too much (as I did not consider the additional fees and taxes at the beginning, so I should decrease the amount to $ 165) but it's clearly too low to win a bid, at least at the moment.

3) Is it true that I should stop trying to bid at Priceline for a couple of weeks and then try again?

I apologize for my numerous questions, but you're all so kind that I dared to ask more! :)

Thanks!

1) Airport Distance

The distance from the airport is from the center of the zone, not the specific hotel that is being offered. If you look at other hotels in the zone (of different star ratings) you'll see that they list the same exact distance from the airport.

2) PRICELINE bidding (question 1)

As you can see the offers change frequently, and so would our suggested strategy, please first determine if you want to move forward or not, and we can suggest a strategy to follow, as this will save us time typing out a strategy that may never be followed. If you do want to try bidding, please confirm your desired star rating, zone(s), and maximum bid.

3) PRICELINE bidding (question 2)

I still think you're looking at the $200-$220 area for a successful PRICELINE bid in one of the two zones that you have previously bid. If you intend to increase your maximum bid then it could pay to bid (from the $170 you previously bid up to) then it could be useful to bid again now, but if keeping your maximum bid at $170 and ~3 months before your trip, i would bid every 3 days or so (not sure when you tried last)

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Thank you so much, that's what I thought about the airport distance.

My last attempt with Priceline was 2 days ago, for the 5*. To be honest, I'd could keep trying but as I mentioned, I realized I did non calculate correctly my maximum bid because I did't consider taxes and fees. So now it should be $ 165: even harder, don't you think?

Lowering your maximum bid certainly won't make it any easier. ;)

You do have some time, but if you continue to be turned away at current levels at some point you'll have to resolve to lowering your star rating (or increasing your budget).

Keep us updated on your progress and let us know how we can be of further help along the way.

I recently ran into a great deal at the Albus hotel, 4* around $ 165 per night for a Superior Room and free cancelation and booked it. I searched (using your links) both PRICELINE and HOTWIRE till the very end but everything considered, I'm quite satisfied. I can't really express how much grateful I am for your help, I'll probably ask for your advice quite soon because I'd love to win a PRICELINE bid. :) Thanks!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]