Priceline Hotel: Bidding Help for last minute booking

spacy
By spacy,
in

Hello all!

I unexpectedly have this weekend free, and would like to spend it in NYC. I'm arriving Friday night, and leaving Sunday morning or afternoon.

As a broke grad student, I can't afford to spend two nights in a hotel at more than $100-140 a night. However, I can probably do one :) I'd like to check in at a cheaper, lower star place on Friday, and then switch to a more expensive hotel in a better location for Saturday night. I would like help with both these strategies, if possible, and something that would allow me to transition easily from one hotel to the other.

For the first, hopefully cheaper hotel, location is probably more important than star rating, and vice versa for the second. I would like to still be in Manhattan in both cases, if possible, and also not spend more than 150 to 200 total for both nights.

Any advice, particularly for bidding strategy and what to start at for the second hotel, would be very helpful. Thank you!

I can't afford to spend two nights in a hotel at more than $100-140 a night.
...and also not spend more than 150 to 200 total for both nights.

Your math doesn't add up... is your budget $100-$140/nite as per your first quote, or is your budget really $75-$100/nite (half of the rates you quoted for two nites)

Also, are these prices bid/room rates or 'all-in' including fees/taxes?

Please clarify the above and we will be in a better position to offer advice.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

My apologies, I see how that was unclear. My maximum budget for both nights is between $150-$200, for everything, ideally. However, if it is possible, I would like to divide that budget so some goes to a lower star hotel on Friday night, but the majority goes to a higher star hotel on Saturday night.So if something is $50 at a 2-star on Friday, and $130 for a 4-star on Saturday, that would be preferable. I don't mind booking the first night at a location outside of the PRICELINE bidding scheme.

Thank you!

I don't think your budget is realistic... it may be close on a room rate only per nite, but all-in including taxes and fees i don't think you'll be able to do anything for $200 or less all-in and be able to stay in Manhattan for both legs of the trip.

If you want to give it a try, how do you want to proceed given that you won't know the available rates for each nite... therefore if you spend too much for the first purchase, what if you're not successful within the confines of your budget for the second purchase?

Using PRICELINE EXPRESS as a baseline for rates:

12/20 - least expensive Manhattan hotel is $82 for a 2* hotel in the LES zone ($104 all-in after using the 5% discount link code in my signature)

12/21 - least expensive Manhattan hotel is $118 for a 2* in MSG ($145 all-in after using the 5% discount link code in my signature)

So above you're looking at $249 all-in and the hotel for the 2nd nites is not of the star rating you're seeking.

Let us know your thoughts and how you'd like to proceed and we'll advise further.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hmm, I see what you mean. I can increase the budget slightly, but probably not more than $50 for $250 total. Or stay outside of Manhattan for the first leg of the trip, if one of the other boroughs is significantly cheaper.

If it's possible to stay in Brooklyn cheaply the first night, and then Manhattan for a higher star rating the second night, that would be my preferred option. I would like whatever area the hotels are in to be Subway accessible, if possible.

For 12/21-12/22 PRICELINE EXPRESS has a 4* hotel in the MTE zone (Pets Allowed, Restaurant, Business Center, Fitness Center) for $131/nite, less the 5% discount link in my signature, comes to $125 bid price ($159 all-in)... which would then leave about $90 all-in for your first nite, which i think should be do-able depending upon just how far outside of the city you are willing to stay and/or how low you are willing to go in star rating.

Do you want to take the PRICELINE EXPRESS deal about at $131/nite OR try bidding on PRICELINE up to $125/nite? If you want to try bidding, let us know exactly which zones, by PRICELINE name, you're willing to accept, and we will suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$10 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: SAVEMORE

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $100+ purchase... expires 05/19/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]