Hotwire Hotel: Bidding Strategy

chris68
By chris68,
in

I am looking for a bidding strategy for New York 12/27-12/31. Prefer Central Park South down to Chelsea areas but am amenable to other. 3.5 stars or better. I have 2 adults and 3 children.

Is it possible to get 1 room that works on Priceline or Hotwire? If I get two rooms, can I make sure at least one has double bed? Thanks

PRICELINE only guarantees double occupancy, after that it's at the discretion of the hotel, and you could receive a room with only one bed. While you can call the hotel you win and request a room with two beds, the hotel may not be able, or willing, to honor your request. Getting your request(s) honored in NYC is especially difficult as hotels have a high percentage of rooms that only have one bed and rooms with two beds is often considered an upgrade from standard.

If you're not willing to take the risk, your safest option would be to use HOTWIRE which allows you to search for up to quad occupancy per room and ensures sleeping accommodations for everyone you include in your search (although this usually means two beds, the second 'bed' could be a sofabed, rollaway, etc). You could therefore search for 2rooms/2adults/3children to ensure a place to sleep for everyone.

Let us know your thoughts and how you'd like to proceed, as well as your maximum budget per nite for this trip, and we'll advise accordingly.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks so much for your help. If I assume my only bet to assure that I get enough beds is to use Hotwire, how likely is it that I will get a better deal on my day of departure Dec. 27th or December 26. Is there any strategy I could employ on Priceline?

Assuming my goal is anywhere between Central Park South and the Financial district and my star level is 3.5 or above, what hotels could I expect. Thanks

The Hotel Lists show all hotels members have reported as obtaining via either PRICELINE or HOTWIRE. There is a link in the banner (top left), and also at the bottom of this page.

In the FAQs is a good discussion on bid-timing. The simple answer is "one never knows". You could make cancelable back-up reservations, and then more comfortably play the "last minute game".

If you definitely need four beds, the only PRICELINE strategy that would work for sure is to bid for two rooms.

Romelle

I have 2 adults and 3 children.
To guarantee sleeping accommodations for everyone you would need to purchase thru HOTWIRE and search for 2rooms/2adults/3children. Even if you used PRICELINE for two rooms, each of them could only have one bed (and possibly no room for a rollaway)
...how likely is it that I will get a better deal on my day of departure Dec. 27th or December 26.
I don't think you gain much by waiting as hotels already have a very good sense of occupancy levels for your dates and if they are more vacant than they would prefer, they will try to fill those rooms asap since lowering the rate at the very last minute does not typically spur demand since most guests have already made their plans and not looking to book the day of arrival. As well, while your first nite (or two) may be low demand, the latter half of your stay has much higher demand since many guests will be coming to the city early to begin the New Year's Eve celebration.

What is your expected budget for this trip?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 8 months later...

Thanx for the follow-up and closing this thread. Please remember to always follow-up your threads with whatever you end up doing, even if you chose to book direct, cancel your trip, etc.

It would be more helpful to others if you included what you did for this stay, perhaps it will give another user an idea for when they're having trouble with their own stays.

Please use the PRICELINE and hot.wire links on the board to begin your purchases and searches.

Yellowdog.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]