Priceline Hotel: 3* New Orleans (Downtown) Country Inn and Suites New Orleans French Quarter

chadomac
By chadomac,
in

Fat Tuesday is March 4 this coming year... meaning that most tourists won't even arrive until the end of February to start their Mardi Gras celebration. The Mardi Gras season begins in mid-February, but it's my understanding that the city does not fill up with tourists until that last week before Fat Tuesday.

We'd prefer a 3, 3.5, or 4 star hotel in the French Quarter or Downtown areas. I was unsuccessful today with bids as high as $90 for 3 stars and $106 for 4 stars.

I'm wondering if hotel prices will be inflated due to my dates being close to Mardi Gras... or if I'm just bidding too early and prices will likely go down. Does anyone have any advice on this?

I couldn't find any big events taking place during your dates so it may just be a bit early, but i'll also suggest that sub-$100 for a 4* hotel including weekend dates may be a bit optimistic.

Using our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com, what is the best rate you're able to find for an acceptable hotel either within the Downtown or French Quarter zones?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 2 weeks later...

$150 for a 3 star (Best Western Plus St. Christopher) is the lowest rate on Maps and Hotels.com. We ended up with 2/20-2/25 as our dates of stay. Seems high, I'm hoping it' just early and prices will be lower by mid-January or so. We usually go every January or February (NOT during Mardi Gras) and have always found a 3 star or better hotel in that $75-100 range.

I can't logically explain why they are inflated when Fat Tuesday isn't until March 4. Thanks for your help, I will continue to use the PRICELINE link from here to make my bids.

*EDIT* The NBA all-star game is in town on Sunday 2/16... but I still find it hard to believe this would inflate prices that much for 2/20-2/25. Hm.

I don't believe the NBA all-star game would be effecting your dates.

There are TWO cruise ships in town on Saturday 2/22 and also two on Sunday 2/23, and with some passengers arriving early and others staying a few days after their trip, this may be a contributing factor to the higher than expected rates you're currently seeing.

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Keep us updated on your progress and let us know if we can be of further help along the way.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

After posting in some other travel forums I read, I'm under the impression that hotel prices are a bit inflated throughout all of Carnival season - even early on. I was worried about prices continuing to inflate and was comfortable with up to $125... so I won at $115. I bid $110 Downtown, then added East (free re-bid) and got it at $115. I should note that I've been attempting 3, 3.5, and 4 star bids at prices between $75 and $110 for weeks now.

This is the #3 ranked hotel on TripAdvisor and in a great location just two blocks from Harrah's and Canal Street. Even though I usually prefer the fancy newer hotels, this one looks like it has some personality to it, and you can't beat the location. Thanks for your help, thereuare.

Congratulations on your success!

Nice to see you got this stay settled and are pleased with the results.

Thank you for sharing your win with the board.

Please use the requested PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your future travel purchases.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]