Priceline Hotel: 4* DC (Arlington) The Westin Arlington Gateway

PoolsandPatios
By PoolsandPatios,
in

Hi,

I am seeking 4* in Arlington, Virginia (DC Metro Area) for Nov 19-22 (3 nights). I used the BetterBidding PRICELINE link for a few quick bids.

Bid 1:

Arlington area, 4* only. $80.00

Result = rejected.

Bid 2:

Added Crystal City, 4* only, $88.00

Result = rejected.

Bid 3:

Added Capitol Hill South, 4* only, $96.00

Result = rejected.

The additional bids were via the zone additions, which are areas without 4* hotels thus "free" re-bids. I based my bid target value on a quick glance at the board where I saw a number of 4* bids under $100, although none were in the Arlington zone. I'm targeting $100/night, if possible.

Any bid tactics recommended? I think I'll wait a few days before I give it another try.

When bidding 4* in the DC region you actually have NINE re-bid zones... do you know how to determine all nine? (if not, see Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and if you're new to re-bidding it's highly recommended you ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board board proceeding)

Have you checked retail rates for these dates? Using our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com and searching for 3 miles from Alrington, VA, the best 4* hotel i'm seeing is $200+, making your $100 target a bit of a stretch at this time.

Do you want to be in Arlington for this stay or are you looking for a less expensive alternative to staying directly in DC?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I was looking for a less expensive alternative to DC proper, as well as some convenience because of work obligations in the Arlington area. I did notice the retail rate above $200 but was hopeful the sub-$100 rates I spotted on the board in DC were some indicator of steep discounts for the entire area. Perhaps it is only DC that offers the lower rates? I thought Arlington would be *less* expensive than DC proper rather than more, but it may well be the reverse scenario is true.

I noticed Hotwire is offering a 4* in "Arlington - Falls Church" zone for $195, "compared to" $269 regular rate. (3 nights ,11/19/13 to 11/22/13, same search I tried with Priceline a few days earlier)

The amenities don't match the three, 4* Hotwire hotels in the BetterBidding guide. Perhaps a new property?

Pet Friendly

Smoke Free

Pool(s)

Business Center

Indoor Pool(s)

Fitness Center

Restaurant

Internet Access

Any thoughts on which property this might be? It's priced over my original target, but I wonder if I can use it as an upper bound for my next Priceline bid series.

One last note before calling it a night.

I decided to explore a little up the price ladder and entered the following at Priceline via the BetterBidding link:

Bid 1 (baseline):

Arlington area, 4* only. $109.00

Result = rejected.

Bid 2:

Added Crystal City, 4* only, $114.00

Result = rejected.

Bid 3:

Added Capitol Hill South, 4* only, $119.00

Result = rejected.

Bid 4:

Added Alexandria West, 4* only, $124.00

Result = rejected.

Bid 5

Added Georgetown North, 4* only, $129.00

Result = rejected.

Bid 6

Added Silver Spring, 4* only, $134.00

Result = rejected.

Bid 7

Added DC Northeast, 4* only, $139.00

Result = rejected.

(note Priceline now calls this zone "DC Northeast", whereas BetterBidding uses "Suburbs Northeast" in Priceline hotel list)

Unfortunately at that point I was uncertain of more free re-bid zones. "Cleveland Park" appears in Priceline selection options but I didn't see this zone in the BetterBidding list so I didn't know if it has 4* available or not.

Oh well. I have faith I'll figure something out soon, either bidding or buying. My optimism is still in tact and I appreciate all the help I have received from BetterBidding. I am a better bidder because of it!

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please click each of the links above, then reply to this thread and we'll have a look at your latest comments and continue the discussion for this trip.

Please use the requested PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin all your future bidding, searches, and travel purchases.

Thanks.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Unfortunately at that point I was uncertain of more free re-bid zones. "Cleveland Park" appears in Priceline selection options but I didn't see this zone in the BetterBidding list so I didn't know if it has 4* available or not.

As is written at the top of the Priceline Hotel List you should NOT use the hotel lists to determine your re-bid zones as you can easily end up in a zone that you didn't intend... the only method that should be used is discussed here: Priceline Re-Bidding Explained. Feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones before bidding.

At the moment i'm guessing that you're looking at the $150-$170 range for a 4* hotel in the Arlington zone... how high are you willing to bid before lowering your star rating and/or considering other nearby zones (or DC proper)?

Please use the requested PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links each time you bid/search.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Post-trip report:

I ended up bidding on PRICELINE on same day as arrival (11/19). One original bid at $150 and one re-bid at $165 and won Westin Arlington for $165/night. I wouldn't consider this a "success" for me because it was much higher than I budgeted, but it was cheaper than retail listings around ~$229 at the time.

All bidding was through BetterBidding.com. Each time. Every time.

Happy Travels, all!

Sorry to see that this stay cost more than you originally had budgeted, but at least you saved almost $200 vs. a conventionally booked room over the course of your trip.

Thank you for sharing your win and using the PRICELINE links on the board to begin your bidding.

Hope you enjoyed your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$10 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: SAVEMORE

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $100+ purchase... expires 05/19/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]