Priceline Hotel: 3.5* Boston (Beacon Hill) The Boxer, Former Bulfinch Hotel

hdwebpros
By hdwebpros,
in

I am bringing one person (2 total including me) to a conference at Harvard on Nov 7-10. So, 3 nights. Actual address of the event is

2 Cambridge Center Cambridge, Massachusetts 02142

I found a 3.5* on Priceline as a PRICELINE EXPRESS deal for Cambridge - West Harvard for $181 per night. It only touted a business center. Guest rating was 8.0.

I'm looking to spend closer to $150 per night if at all possible. Actually I want us to stay nearby in a comfortable hotel and just want the best deal possible. Not sure what the best avenue from here is, so any advice would be splendid.

Thank you!

With just a solo Business amenity showing i don't have a guess for the 3.5* PRICELINE EXPRESS property.

How much of your day/nite will be spent at the conference... have you considered staying 'downtown' and taking the train to the conference each day?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

We may head over near there on Thursday night for a party, then Friday and Saturday will be 9am - 7pm. Sunday will be 9am - 5pm. I haven't considered staying downtown at all. It would be something I'd do though if it were a better idea. Do you get more "Bang for your buck" there? I did a quick search and didn't see much of a price improvement. Is it just cooler over there? Wondering your thoughts on staying downtown.

Let's back up one minute...

Are most/all of your activities at the address above (which is actually near MIT) or are some events at this address and some events at Harvard Campus... as the two locations are in different zones which may play a factor in the best way to play this.

Boston is a fairly manageable city, and there are others who know the ins/outs of the city better than i do (hopefully somebody more local to the area will add their thoughts) but as far as which zone is 'better' it may depend upon your age/attitude... if you're in your early 20's you may enjoy being around a college campus atmosphere, if you're older you may prefer the wider variety offered in 'the city'.

Let's start with the above regarding location and we can further explore your options from there.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Let's back up one minute...

Are most/all of your activities at the address above (which is actually near MIT) or are some events at this address and some events at Harvard Campus... as the two locations are in different zones which may play a factor in the best way to play this.

Boston is a fairly manageable city, and there are others who know the ins/outs of the city better than i do (hopefully somebody more local to the area will add their thoughts) but as far as which zone is 'better' it may depend upon your age/attitude... if you're in your early 20's you may enjoy being around a college campus atmosphere, if you're older you may prefer the wider variety offered in 'the city'.

Let's start with the above regarding location and we can further explore your options from there.

Almost all activities that are planned are at that location. Me and my employee are in our mid 30s. We don't "whoop it up" like back in the college days either, so nightlife isn't crucial. So, that being said, being close is nice, but I don't have any problem staying in the city if it means better rates and some cool things to check out nearby. It seems like I am hopeless to find anything decent for the $150 per night mark though :(

Okay, did a little more research, and may have found somethings worthwhile. Hope the links are still good by the time you get to it.

http://www.hotwire.com/hotel/details?searchId=7544946960&solutionId=286891813164

If its this hotel: http://www.hotwire.com/hotel/details?searchId=7544946960&solutionId=286893934055 it would take a 25 minute bus ride to get to the event but it is a good price

Also, found this:

http://www.hotwire.com/hotel/details?searchId=7544946960&solutionId=286887265207

and if it is real close and a nice hotel, it would be worth it. I have no clue on how to find out what hotel it could be.

The HOTWIRE links have sessions and therefore won't work on any computer but your own, and even then will time-out after about 30 minutes.

Please list the the full details (star rating, city, zone, room rate per nite, and full list of amenities) and we'll have a look.

You can use our BiddingHelper.com to easily sort the list and copy/paste the complete amenity set to your post.

Thanks.

Sorry about that. Here are the HOTWIRE ones I was talking about. If you could help me pinpoint which ones they could be that would help me with my decision greatly!

#1:

Nice hotel with a tranquil indoor pool

Brookline - Newton - Fenway

85% recommended

3 NIGHTS

11/7/13 to 11/10/13

2 ADULTS

STANDARD PRICE

$246ǂ

YOU SAVE

$120

Free Internet

Indoor pool(s)

Smoke Free Rooms

Fitness Center

Pool(s)

Restaurant(s)

Business Center

Internet access

-------------------------------------

#2:

Great hotel where your pet can stay too

Beacon Hill

85% recommended

3 NIGHTS

11/7/13 to 11/10/13

2 ADULTS

STANDARD PRICE

$266ǂ

YOU SAVE

$101

Pet friendly

Smoke Free Rooms

Fitness Center

Restaurant(s)

Internet access

------------------------------

#3: Nice hotel with restaurant dining on site

Cambridge - Harvard

85% recommended

3 NIGHTS

11/7/13 to 11/10/13

2 ADULTS

STANDARD PRICE

$234ǂ

YOU SAVE

$91

Amenities

Free Breakfast

Free Internet

Pet friendly

Fitness Center

Restaurant(s)

I believe there are more amenities then what you have posted above as HOTWIRE has a new interface that does not show the complete set of amenities unless you click thru a few extra links.

If you repeat your search using our BiddingHelper.com tool, and then click the HOTWIRE EASY VIEW tab, do you see more amenities then what you have listed above?

Here is what i'm seeing for each (including star ratings to ensure we are referring to the same hotels):

3* Brookline - Newton - Fenway

Free Internet

Indoor Pool

Smoke Free

Fitness

Pool

Restaurant

Business

Hi-Speed Internet

Blind Accessible

Deaf Accessible

Travel Accessible

Room Accessible

Bathroom Accessible

Handicapped Parking

Roll-in Shower

==> Crowne Plaza Boston-Newton

3.5* Beacon Hill

Pet Friendly

Smoke Free

Fitness

Restaurant

Hi-Speed Internet

Roll-in Shower

==> unsure, maybe The Boxer Hotel

3* Cambridge Harvard

Complimentary Breakfast

Free Internet

Pet Friendly

Fitness

Restaurant

Blind Accessible

Travel Accessible

Room Accessible

Wheelchair Accessible

Bathroom Accessible

Handicapped Parking

Roll-in Shower

==> Best Western Plus Hotel Tria

Do any of the above work for your needs?

Two Cambridge Center is indeed at MIT, not Harvard. It is right next to the Cambridge Marriott, a block from the Residence Inn, maybe two blocks from the Kendall, and if you could get any of those I would recommend them highly. It's not too far from the Sonesta, less than a mile. I think anything else you're looking at using public transportation rather than walking. (The Best Western Tria, despite being actually in Cambridge, is not very convenient because it's a long walk to the T, and it's at the far west end of Cambridge while MIT is at the east end.)

Beacon Hill would be a good alternative. It would be a long walk from the Boxer, about a mile and a half, but a short walk to the T and a very short Red Line trip from there. Downtown/Faneuil or Theater District are also likely to be an easy trip because they have Red Line T stops.

Brookline or Newton would be a bit of a pain, actually. I can't see doing that trip in 25 minutes, because the Green Line is slow out there and you have to change at Park St. But anyplace in Boston proper would be a quick taxi ride, since as thereuare noted the city is pretty small.

Cambridge is typically a bit cheaper than the downtown Boston areas, but because the stock of rooms is so limited even a small conference can soak up availability and bump Cambridge prices.

If you can save a bunch of money, you might try looking in the Quincy district. (This is not the area that used to be called 'Quincy Market' on Hotwire, but rather the southern suburb of Quincy.) That is a long Red Line trip, about a half hour, but it's easy and cheap. But I don't know much about the hotels in that area.

• 2 months later...

Was this via PRICELINE, HOTWIRE, or did you book direct?

If PRICELINE / HOTWIRE, can you please add the complete details of your purchase in a reply to this thread, including the star rating, city, zone, hotel name, room rate per nite, dates of your stay, and (if HOTWIRE) the amenities shown before your purchase... you can still view the full details of your purchase by going to PRICELINE and clicking the MY PROFILE >> MY TRIPS link near the top right of their home page (or if HOTWIRE the MY ACCOUNT link on the top right of their home page)

Please remember to follow-up your threads with whatever you do for each stay as it helps keep the board better organized and more useful for everyone, and is a courtesy to anyone who took the time to help with your trip.

Thanks.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]