Hotwire Hotel: 3* with easy daily commute to Manhattan Oct19-27?

DiegoV
By DiegoV,
in

Hi! And thanks in advance for your help.

I am looking for a 3+ star hotel preferrably with free internet and breakfast, hoping for $80-90 avg. daily.

It will be my first time in town, so If necesary I'm willing to go higher If I can avoid an complicated or long daily commute to Manhattan/Midtown.

Are you willing to change hotels mid-trip... for example, one property may have the best price for 10/19-10/24 and another property may have the best price for 10/24-10/27. Would you be willing to split the bid, meaning split this stay into two separate purchases, with the likely possibility that you will win different hotels for each purchase and need to change properties mid-trip.

I do see something close to/within your budget, but the transportation options are not the best, so if SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID is an option then i would see if we can get two different hotels that offers more convenience for commuting to the city.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Oh OK, I see what you mean. Well, I was not even planning on using PRICELINE on the first place (posted on the hotwire forums). To answer your question, I dont think I like the idea of switching rooms or places during the stay, but if you have something in mind, let me know and Ill take a look.

What I would like are some ideas of options that might work at a reasonable price.

Thanks again for the help.

We call it 'split bid' but it could just as easily apply to purchasing two different hotels via HOTWIRE.

The issue is that $100 doesn't go very far in this area... nothing in Manhattan, even Brooklyn starts at $110/nite for a 2.5* property (and i think the hotel may be far from Manhattan).

I looked at the Secaucus/Rutherford/Meadowlands section of NJ and there is a PRICELINE EXPRESS 3* hotel offered for $99 with:

Free Breakfast

Free Internet

Indoor Pool

Free Parking

Business Center

Fitness Center

... and has a very good 9.0/10.0 user review rating.

My guess is that this may be the Homewood Suites (NYC bus 2 blocks away) or the Residence Inn (bus to NYC 1 block away). HOWEVER, with both of these locations bus service is not that frequent (maybe once/twice per hour during the week non-rush hour... less frequent on the weekends, and last bus from NYC may be ~midnite or so)

Since neither of these properties have been reported to the board before thru PRICELINE EXPRESS and this is an extended stay, you could see if this same property is offered for the first (or last) nite of your stay and then again for the balance. If so, you could purchase the solo nite in order to 'look behind the curtain'. If you're happy with the results purchase the remaining nites, if not, make alternate plans for the balance of your stay.

Your thoughts?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I am looking for help finding a better price on any of the 3* hotels within Long Island City and at walk-distance from 7 Metro Line stations.

More specifically, I have found at least 4 properties offering two-bed rooms, regular price around $185, including both breakfast and free internet for 20-27 Oct:

Sleep Inn - Long Island City 3*

Red Roof Inn Long Island City 3*

Fairfield Inn & Suites Long Island City/Manhattan View 3*

La Quinta Inn Queens 3*

Please keep all posts for this stay in this same thread. If/when you make a purchase the thread will automatically be moved to the correct section of the board when you use the EDIT TO REPORT WIN button on the lower right corner of this page.

Few issues/comments with your post above:

PRICELINE only guarantees double occupancy, after that it's at the discretion of the hotel, and you could receive a room with only one bed. While you can call the hotel you win and request a room with two beds, the hotel may not be able, or willing, to honor your request. If this is not a risk you're willing to accept and need two beds, HOTWIRE may still be an option as they allow you to search for up to quad occupancy and ensure sleeping accommodations for everyone you include in your search (although this usually means two beds, the second 'bed' could be a sofabed, rollaway, etc)

The rate above is nearly twice of what you were originally looking to spend... if this is your new budget, you have more options open up to you (but you need to forgo the two bed requirement). For instance you can get a 3.5* hotel on the LES for $198/nite, and i would sooner pay the extra $10/nite to stay directly in Manhattan than in LIC.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases. (or the links in our Support Page where we have links to most of the major hotel chains and online agencies)

Let us know what you decide and how we can be of further help.

Please note that I have adjusted the date to Oct 20-27.

I wanted to comment about Long Island City, I think that the transit options are easier than all the hotels on the Jersey side. But again, I have never stayed in NY before.

If this is not a risk you're willing to accept and need two beds, HOTWIRE may still be an option as they allow you to search for up to quad occupancy and ensure sleeping accommodations for everyone you include in your search (although this usually means two beds, the second 'bed' could be a sofabed, rollaway, etc)
Thanks again for the advise. Yes, since two beds are indeed a must, I will start searching quad occupancy only for now.
The rate above is nearly twice of what you were originally looking to spend... if this is your new budget, you have more options open up to you (but you need to forgo the two bed requirement). For instance you can get a 3.5* hotel on the LES for $198/nite, and i would sooner pay the extra $10/nite to stay directly in Manhattan than in LIC.
About the budget, $185 is what I found regular price. I am *really* hoping to be able to find something for significantly less bidding, in Hotwire or otherwise, before Oct 16!

Right now for Long Island City on those dates there seems to be only one 3* property available for $152 with the amenities below:

•Free Internet

•Pet friendly

•In-room accessibility

•Handicapped parking

Any ideas on which one could it be? Also, I was unable where to find how to filter for quad occupancy.

I originally hadn't considered the NY side of the River since your original budget was in the $80-$90 range, which was not enough for your this area for your original dates.

You can't filter for quad occupancy... you have to include quad occupancy when you begin your search.

Best guess for the LIC property above would be the Wyndham Garden Long Island City.

Let us know what you decide and how it goes or if we can be of further help.

• 6 months later...
Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$10 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: SAVEMORE

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $100+ purchase... expires 05/19/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]