Priceline Hotel: 4* New York City (Madison Square Garden - Convention) Affinia Manhattan

D train
By D train,
in

I'm not currently seeing any 3.5* property when searching HOTWIRE for your dates... are you still seeing this on your own search?

I will add that i am seeing a 3* hotel offered for $178/nite with:

Complimentary Breakfast

Free Internet

Smoke Free

Business

Hi-Speed Internet

Blind Accessible

Deaf Accessible

Travel Accessible

Room Accessible

... and more importantly a very high 4.5/5.0 TA rating. Best guess for this property would be the Pointe Plaza Hotel, however, i'll point out this is a correct guess, this property does not look to be that close to convenient subway lines if you're trying to use this is a cheaper alternative to staying in Manhattan.

Do you have a need to be in Brooklyn for this trip, or are you trying to find a more affordable alternative to staying in Manhattan to will commute there each day?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Perhaps I was not precise. I used the better bidding tool and found this property on the Hotwire Easy View tab. Since this first post, I've sharpened my pencil and focused on the downtown Bklyn hotels. My best guess for this property is the Aloft. When I checked rates today they are as follows:

17th 183

18th 209

19th 261

20th 122

As a former NYorker (see handle), I usually stay in my old neighborhoods since I know them so well. But we do in fact have several engagements either in Bklyn proper or lower NYC. It would be a hoot to see all the gentrification I've read about up front and personal.

I'm following you... the issue is that when i previously search HOTWIRE for your dates this property was not appearing, but i do see it now.

This property has not yet been reported to the board and with just one amenity showing it's hard to have any degree of confidence in a guess, but i don't this the aLoft is likely for this one (the Indigo would a possibility, but there likely other likely candidates as well)

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know whatever you decide to do for this stay or how we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I've done some more sleuthing and see a 4* hotel under the PRICELINE EXPRESS Option. Features include indoor/outdoor pool, fitness center and restaurant. For 10.17 it quotes 246, for 10.18 it quotes 247 and for 10.19 it quotes 247. I am no longer looking at including Sunday as there seems to be a huge drop-off in price and wouldn't mind checking another property out. The Priceline tab quotes 224, 296 an 309 for the Sheraton Brooklyn. The Sheraton's own web site has available rooms for that day. So, do you think it is the Sheraton? I'd love for it to be the Marriott, but their base prices are all in the 300 + range.

I've got my grid all prepared for Priceline bidding with my free re-bid zones all identified and bidding strategies mapped out. I know we can't be prescient, but we can be informed. A few years ago, we were able to reverse engineer a Hyatt property in Deerfield IL.

In this priceline hotel thread a user won the Marriott with this same amenity set, but as the Sheraton also offers all of these amenities, there is no way to know if that property too uses this same amenity set. The amenities PRICELINE EXPRESS uses to describe properties are very generic, so there is no way to pin point this one.

I've absorbed a lot from this forum and have a matrix of locations, star ratings and number of hotels by star ratings in front of me. As I interpret this, the re-bid zones for a 4* are LES, Queensboro Bridge & UES. That would be 3, your informative seminars all indicate 2, What am I missing?

I've moved from Bklyn to NYC as there is construction on Duffield St., a concert in the Barclay Ctr on Sat nite driving up prices and a disinclination to deal with those known items.

That info is NOT reflected on the hotel lists on this site.

There is a warning note at the very top of the list not to use the lists to determine re-bid zones and that the lists only offer what has been reported to the board. If you click, then click off each zone separately, which zones do not offer 4* or higher? Re-bid zones should be checked every time you start bidding, as there is always the possibility things may change.

Please confirm the two re-bid zones before bidding. If you still have questions, please let us know and we would be happy to offer further assistance.

Queenborough Bridge is not a rebid zone as it's not currently an available zone to bid - it is greyed out and cannot be selected. Same with Coney Island. These two zones previously had bidding available but do not (and may come back at some point in the future.)

Thank you for using the board's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Aha, so the rebid zones must be LIC and Morningside Heights/Harlem. I've spent time earlier today bidding for 4* properties and everything has been rejected so far. This is a great system for card players and others who can systematically keep track of what they've bid and what combos await them. I might just go with a Hotwire Express deal for a 4.5* property for the same $ as some 4*'s are going for.

This has been a real learning experience, not only figuring out types of properties in each neighborhood, but those free bid zones as well. Had some unsuccessful bidding yesterday, decided I'd do this for a fixed amount of time today. If things didn't work out, I had my eye on a 4.5* property that is most likely the Palace Hotel. listed on HOTWIRE EZ view. BUT, we are former New Yorkers who will take the Air Train in, so being near Penn Station is fine for us. And we always buy Metro cards and go every which way. We are visiting 'home' as it were, so a central base that is not overly expensive is all we really want.

Thanks for all the guidance and assists. And yes, I did use the PRICELINE links provided here.

Congratulations on your success!

Glad to see you found something that works for your needs... and learned a bit in the process! Hope you're looking forward to re-visting your old digs and exploring both the new and old of the area.

Thank you for sharing your win and using the PRICELINE links on the board to begin your bidding.

Enjoy your stay.

• 1 month later...

Now for the feedback. Keys to the first room revealed a postage stamp, so we immediately returned to request a different room. We got a "suite" with 2 full beds (not our desired choice). Corner room with poorly insulated window air conditioners, felt like I was in a tent outdoors. The next day we got moved to a room with a king sized bed. Large room, with an alcove area for coffee, desk and drawers. Bathroom shower was tiny. We extended our stay the last nite because the hassle (and potential savings of going to a different property) was not worth it, We were taking the airtrain to JFK the following day. We found a rate on-line that was very competitive, but the manager insisted that the best rate they could offer was rack, so we booked on line and got to stay in our room.

All in all, a meh place, definitely not 4 stars.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]