Priceline Hotel: European trip advice - November 23 to December 8

brian c
By brian c,
in

Hi,

I have never been to Europe, and I would like some advice.

I have two weeks off from November 23 to December 8.

My current plan is to fly to London and stay there for 4-5 days and then take a train to Paris and stay there 5-6 days. Since this will be my first trip there, I am thking of taking it easy by just going to two cities and explore there.

Someone mentioned to me that I could consider adding Amsterdam to the itineary, so it will be London, Paris and then Amsterdam.

What would be your advice?

I would like to bid my hotel stays with PriceLine, which I will use the links on this site.

Could you please help with which neighbourhoods I should bid in for:

London?

Paris?

Amsterdam?

In terms of budget, it would be $130-$140 maximum per night, but it would be great if it is around $100. I will be travelling alone.

Please note that I would prefer to take public transportation and not rent a vehicle.

Any advice you could provide is much appreciated!

Thanks!

I've been to Paris twice but keep gravitating back to London and have been going there once or twice every year, the more time I spend there the more things seem to get added to my list to do for another visit! So I am biased, I would spend more time there than I would in Paris. I haven't been to Amsterdam, but I would like to go there, too. I have posted quite a few thoughts about hotels in London if you wanted to do a search. This past year hotels in the Regent's Park zone (which is still very central) have been won for $55-$100 a night almost enitrely among two very good Marriott hotels.

I think both Paris and London are wonderful, and have amazing things to do. But I'd like to add a slightly different suggestion.

I've traveled happily in the same time of year as you are considering, but want to make sure you have a good idea of what you might encounter. You are hitting the shortest-days-of-the-year time and a cooler/wetter time.

If you want a third location, rather than Amsterdam you might consider heading due south from Paris and pick some place along the Mediterranean. Perpignan, Marseille, Nice, Menton, and many possibilities between those. Any of these southern locations will be warmer and you will have quite a bit more daylight.

You can start with a rail map from Paris and pick one with good train transport. Maybe even a smaller town for some contrast. There is a great rail line running all along the coast, and a excellent bus service also. From Nice it is possible to take quick 1 and 2 Euro bus trips and 5 and 10 Euro train trips to see nearby cities and towns ..... Monaco, St. Tropez, Grasse, Eze, etc.

Romelle

Vanpoodle

I sent you a separate PM with more South of France chatter, but to answer your specific question here - yes, wonderful walks. My all time favorite is in the Collioure area, trailing along where Henri Matisse painted.

But I still haven't managed a wander in the Grasse area when the lavender is blooming. And I'm sure there are trails along the Mediterranean with incredible views.

Romelle

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]