Hotwire Hotel: 3* New York City (Empire State Building) Hilton Garden Inn New York West 35th Street

bestenborstel
By bestenborstel,
in

HI

I am looking for a room in NYC for 2 nights in the period of 31/8-9/3, depending on the price maybe 3.

I am not sure which of those days would be the most expensive ones.

In terms of priceline zones

10,6, 11, 12, 3 and 15, 9 would be okay, although 10 turned out to be very nice last time.

In terms of names those are:

MSG, ESBA, ME, MW, SoHo, and LES. TSTD would work maybe as well, but I am afraid it could be very nice.

Our max limit would be 180-200$ and minimum should be 3*.

Am I allowed to post here as well possible hotels from hotwire to identify or should I open another thread in the hotwire-NY subforum, please?

Thank you.

BB

Yes, please keep all posts for this stay in this same thread... if you ultimately use HOTWIRE the entire thread will be moved to that section of the board when you use the EDIT TO REPORT WIN button on the lower right corner of this page.

The dates of 9/1-9/3 look to be the least expensive and there are some GREAT deals available... you could get 4* hotels in the $100-$120 area... are you willing to pay more for a 4* vs. a 3.5* if both are within your budget (actually well within your budget, it appears)

I'm very familiar with the city so if you let us know your needs/plans for this trip i can probably recommend some of better deals available for this stay in terms of price/value/location.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hi Thereuare,

I am doing currently some research via HOTWIRE. I agree with your suggestion that your mentioned period is the cheapest.

I saw some deals for around 125$ on HOTWIRE, but the reviews for example for double tree suites on TS are rather not encouraging.

You asking for plans: Well, we intend to continue our sightseeing tour (walking around NY mainly, visit Empire State Building, MOMA). A connection to a good subway station would be nice.

Since we know how to use the subway (*g*), a hotel without bugs (mostly clean!!!) and a good bed are our main concern. The Staybridge was last time very good, but I don't see how I can get this again. Maybe we would like to exclude both sites of the central park and maybe not too much north of Times Square. In general, pretty flexible.

I will go hunting again for the moment and see what I can find :-)

I am looking forward to your suggestions.

Best

BB

...but the reviews for example for double tree suites on TS are rather not encouraging.

Are you sure you're looking at the correct Doubletree as the Times Square location has an excellent 4.5/5.0 TA rating and generally gets great reviews (that i have read). I think at less than $120/nite this is a lay-up, but if you don't like this property:

St. Giles Court for $110/nite

InterContinental The Barclay for $115/nite

InterContinental Times Square for $175/nite (i don't think it's worth 50% more than the other options but maybe you do)

The New York Palace for $177/nnite

All of the above generally get excellent reviews and i believe provide an excellent value for the prices above. That is another thing to keep in mind... is that value is often a reflection of the price paid, and in NYC those who pay 'regular rate' are paying top dollar and often expect more for the price paid. So while you one of the hotels above at $100-$125 may be a GREAT value and you would have a fantastic time there and find it to be a great experience... you may have a very opposite opinion of the very same stay if you had paid $350/nite for the room... many guests in NYC often pay $350+ per nite for a room, and they expect a palace for that price, but when they find out that NYC rooms are notoriously small, they are disappointed and don't feel it was such a good value; this is the reason for some of the negative reviews at many NYC hotels, imo.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

HI,

I don't understand what you mean above with "(i don't think it's worth 50% more than the other options but maybe you do)".

I found the following offers currently via hotwire:

TSTD, 126$, 4*

Pet friendly

Suite

Fitness Center

Restaurant

Business Center

High-Speed

Internet Access

This is probably Doubletree Guest Suites. What would you say?

Maybe I should not read first the negative views :-)

In general, would you say one could get a better deal via priceline currently?

So far my beds in general were not successful even if I was just 10% below a PRICELINE EXPRESS deal price.

I will do research further, thank you for your suggestions!

EDIT: Do I see it correctly that I get currently 10% off via priceline with this code even with normal booking, please?

Edit2: I am actually now inclined to try to bid. I just found the Doubletree via Priceline for 129$. Do you think by bidding it would be possible to gain something?

HI Forum,

could you please tell me why one should close the browser after a reject?

And when thereuare suggests one of his strategy, why can I do with re-bids (okay this is clear) and closing browser so many tries, please?

Thanks.

For example this one:

Select 3.5* MTW...

Bid $120, if rejected close brower and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3.5* CPS...

Select 3.5* TS...

Select 3.5* MSG...

Select 3.5* MTW and CPS...

Bid $125, if rejected close brower and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3.5* TS and MSG...

Bid $125, if rejected close brower and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Bid $130, if rejected close brower and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Bid $130, if rejected close brower and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Bid $135, if rejected close brower and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Bid $135, if rejected close brower and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3.5* MTW and CPS and TS...

Bid $140, if rejected close brower and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3.5* MTW and CPS and MSG...

Bid $140, if rejected close brower and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3.5* TS and MSG and MTW...

Bid $145, if rejected close brower and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3.5* TS and MSG and CPS...

Bid $145, if rejected close brower and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3.5* TS and MSG and MTW and CPS...

Bid $150

If the above is rejected you can close the browser, use this link to re-access PRICELINE, and repeat but at the 3* level.

I don't understand what you mean above with "(i don't think it's worth 50% more than the other options but maybe you do)".

I don't think paying $179 for a 4.5* is worth the extra money vs. paying $110 for a 4* (ie- the 4.5* costs ~50% more than the 4*)

This is probably Doubletree Guest Suites. What would you say?

Maybe I should not read first the negative views :-)

I agree that this is likely the Doubletree Guest Suites and i'm not sure what negative reviews you are reading. Just about every hotel in NYC has some negative comments (see my previous comments above regarding perceived value when paying $350/nite for a room) but over this one typically gets very good reviews.
In general, would you say one could get a better deal via priceline currently? So far my beds in general were not successful even if I was just 10% below a PRICELINE EXPRESS deal price.
When the PRICELINE EXPRESS deals have a 10% coupon they are often (but not always) the best deal available... how high have you already bid?

EDIT: Do I see it correctly that I get currently 10% off via priceline with this code even with normal booking, please?

No, the current code is only good for select cities and for PRICELINE EXPRESS... fortunately for you NYC is one of the select cities.

Edit2: I am actually now inclined to try to bid. I just found the Doubletree via Priceline for 129$. Do you think by bidding it would be possible to gain something?

Was this on their 'retail' side as i'm currently seeing rates at $219/nite for your dates.

Madison Square Garden - Hell's Kitchen

3*, 118$

Free Internet

Smoke Free Rooms

Laundry Facilities (self-service)

Kitchenette

3.5 out of 5, TAV

For which dates are you seeing this property offered... but i'll add that i believe this would be a mistake vs. the other properties mentioned above. What is it about this property that peaks your interest?
could you please tell me why one should close the browser after a reject?
It gives you extra bidding opportunities.

It were the Laundry Facilities and the Kitchenette peaking my interest.

To conclude I "won" the Hilton Garden Inn 35th W street. Nice location, but strange service. ( Too dead too explain since I just returned.)

But wanted to say that booking last minute via Hotels.com on Labour Day to next day is way cheaper than on HOTWIRE :( 99$ for the same room where I paid 129$ + Hotwire fees.

thereuare, if you don't mind I would like to ask some questions about your comments above after a rest.

Thank you for sharing your win with the board... please post your wins/decisions as you make them so that the information can help others in a timely manner.

Can you please add a reply to this thread confirming the amenities that were associated with this property, you can still view this information by going to HOTWIRE and clicking the MY ACCOUNT link near the top right of their home page.

Hope you enjoyed your stay.

Hi thereuare.

the amenities were the standard ones betterbidding has already in the list.

Free Internet

Accessible path of travel

Accessible bathroom

Smoke Free Rooms

In-room accessibility

Roll-in shower

Business Center

Wheelchair accessible

Location was nice, room was okay (we had to fight to get a room with a view to ESB), staff at the reception was rather unfriendly but there was one exception.

Have a nice day and thank you.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]