Priceline Hotel: 4* Chicago (North Michigan Ave - River North) Sheraton Chicago Hotel Tower

andypt7
By andypt7,
in

Looking for a room for Friday-Sunday october 18-20. Flexible on location in the city. Prefer to be close to public transportation but really just looking for best deal possible.

Using the links on this page, I'm coming up with several options. Cheapest are in McCormick Place/South Loop areas, which is the one area I would rule out for my needs. Was burned once before on the McCormick Hyatt (nice hotel, but ended up spending what I saved on hotel in extra cab fares)

I'm coming up with 2 properties in the Chicago Gold Coast/Lake Shore Drive areas:

$133 4 star. Amenities include: Free Internet, Pet Friendly, Smoke Free, Fitness Center, Restaurant, Business Center, High Speed Internet access, Golf, Tennis; 90% customer review and 4/5 Trip Advisor

$129 4.5 star. Amenities include: Pet Friendly, Boutique, Smoke Free, Fitness Center, Restaurant, High Speed Internet

My best guesses based on the awesome info you all provide here are The Public and the Thompson.

Thoughts? Advice? Other viable options?

For the 4* property if you go back to HOTWIRE and click this offer, then on the ensuing page click the 'See all' link under the amenities, do you see more than what you've posted above? Using this method this is the full list of amenities i'm seeing when searching HOTWIRE for your dates:

Free Internet

Pet Friendly

Smoke Free

Fitness

Restaurant

Business

Hi-Speed Internet

Golf

Tennis

Blind Accessible

Deaf Accessible

Travel Accessible

Room Accessible

Wheelchair Accessible

Bathroom Accessible

Handicapped Parking

Roll-in Shower

... if this is the list you're currently seeing my guess here would be The Public.

I agree with your guess for the 4.5* that the Thompson would be a likely possibility.

I'll also add another option that what appears to be the 4.5* rated InterContinental Chicago is offered for $141/nite and that may be a better location depending upon your plans.

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Let us know what you decide and how it goes or if we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Both really nice choices, although I'd say the Thompson (which is actually not opening until October - it was the Sutton Place and is now being renovated) is a bit more compelling for a few bucks less. Still, both nice options. Both hotels are not a far stroll from the Red Line station at Clark/Division, although the Thompson is a few blocks closer walk to the top of Michigan Ave.

Thank you for using the board's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Thanks for the input. I hadn't noticed the "See all" link under amenities, but when I search again now I do see all those that you listed.

I may play around with Priceline a little to see if I can find something around $125 but otherwise will likely book either of the properties on Hotwire. I have stayed at Public Chicago in the past (booked thru conference I was attending). Very nice property and they do offer free wireless internet in guest rooms. Looks like Thompson charges for wireless access. May be a consideration for me.

I'll post when I confirm.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I've been sitting on this for awhile now, waiting for confirmation of my plans (combo work/fun trip). Work confirmed dates that I need to be in Chicago, so I'm ready to book.

Linked to HOTWIRE thru betterbidding and tonight found:

$122

3.5 star

Mag Mile/River North

Amenities

Free Internet

Smoke Free Rooms

Fitness Center

Restaurant(s)

Laundry Facilities (self-service)

High-Speed Internet Access

Accessibility

Accessible for the blind Accessible for the deaf Accessible path of travel

My original Gold Coast/Lake Shore Drive hotels still show up, but have gone up slightly.

$136 for the 4* (presumably Public Chicago)

$143 for 4.5* (presumably Thompson)

Thoughts on the 3.5* Mag Mile hotel?

I'm seeing the potential Thompson for $141 today, the Public for $133, the Indigo (also right by the Public and Thompson) for $115, the Intercontinental for $176 and the 3.5* above I'm guessing is a new amenity set for either the Club Quarters Wacker/Michigan or the River Hotel (which are essentially the same thing.)

The Public and Thompson are not as centrally located as the potential Club Quarters, but I think they're nicer hotels - particularly the Thompson.

Thank you for using the board's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

• 2 weeks later...

Lesson learned...you snooze, (sometimes) you lose. Due to uncertainty of the work aspect of my trip, I was not able to book when prices were low. Now the 4.5 star (presumably Thompson) is 160+ for these dates. Have also struck out on Priceline up to $150. Will keep fishing and hope I get something, but for now closing this thread out an unfulfilled. :(

Thanks for the help.

So have you cancelled this trip?

Please follow-up with whatever you do for this stay, even if not PRICELINE or HOTWIRE (please check our Support Page if you decide to book direct as we have links to most of the major hotel chains and online booking agencies)

You can also try our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com which gives a good visual of rates in the area to see if anything of value is offered (UNcheck any star rated hotels you don't want in order to unclutter the map)

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I am still planning on taking this trip. Still working Hotwire and Priceline to find the best possible deal.

This morning there is a 4 Star hotel in the Loop-Theater district for $148

Amenities listed include:

Pet friendly

Fitness Center

Restaurant(s)

Business Center

High-Speed Internet Access

Golf Nearby

Accessibility

Accessible for the blind

Accessible for the deaf

Accessible path of travel

Seems like everytime I search there is a new page layout, but I think I got all of the amenities. Any ideas on this one?

I believe there are more amenities... use the HOTWIRE EASY VIEW tab of our BiddingHelper.com which will ensure that you're seeing the full list of amenities associated with this property. Using this tool do you now see this as the full list for the 4* hotel in the Loop-Theatre District zone:

Pet Friendly

Fitness

Restaurant

Business

Hi-Speed Internet

Golf

Blind Accessible

Deaf Accessible

Travel Accessible

Room Accessible

Bathroom Accessible

Handicapped Parking

Roll-in Shower

If so, my best guess for this one would be the Crowne Plaza Chicago upgraded to the 4* level since the last time it was reported to the board.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know how it goes or if we can be of further help.

I would not recommend this property - it's at the far West border of this zone and it's going to be a trek to a lot of things if you're looking to visit tourist attractions.

Other properties are going to be more expensive, but if you stay at the Crowne Plaza Metro, that will likely result in the added cost of cab rides.

Have been looking for a room for Oct 18-20 for a few weeks now. Missed out on some good potential Hotwire deals. Tried Priceline several times, working my way up from $120 by re-bidding, waiting 24 hours, and trying again. Got to $150 and was offered the chance to re-bid instantly if I raised my bid by $30 to $180 (higher than the Instant deal for same star level/area). No thanks. Kept at it in $2 increments and finally hit at $156.

Pretty happy with the Sherton, although I'm still bummed that I missed out on a likely win for the Thompson on Hotwire for <$130 because I waited. Location will be good for my needs and plans. Never stayed there but reviews are good. Thanks for the help!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]