Priceline Hotel: 3*-4* New York 9/9-9/13 bid help

melaniez
By melaniez,
in

Hi everyone,

could you advise me when its better to bid on priceline for those 4 nights hotel in Manhattan? because so far i tried all the areas (except upper east side and upper west side)up to $160 for 4* and 3.5* hotels.

i dont know how others can bid 3.5* or 4* at only over $120 or so. i checked hotwire as well. one week earlier than my trip time, the price is cheaper. however, the price jump up from 9 Sep. am i booking too early now or that is the way it supposed to be?

basically, we can live in any areas in Manhattan except upper east/west side(seems far from the midtown, or maybe i was wrong, they are still convenient?)

we accept walking up to 15 mins to the subway. Max $160 or less for the 3*.

so whats the strategy here? many thanks

Welcome to BetterBidding!

If you haven't yet please start by reading your messages.

After Labor Day (US Holiday, this year on Sept 2) is the beginning of high season in NYC. As well, your arrival day is the last day of the US Open Tennis Tournament so you may have some residual higher rates from that too (but i think the bigger issue is high-season).

Please list the zones, by PRICELINE name, that you have already bid (and if any others are acceptable) and we'll take a closer look at this trip.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hi thanks for replying. strange thing is that one week later or earlier than my trip is much cheaper(4-5* can be about $200 for express deals)than the week we are staying(over $300 for 4* on express deal). Only 9/9-13/9 is the most expensive week...

so far, i have included all the areas in Manhattan except upper side.

2.central park south

3. Chelsea

5. downtown

6. empire state building

7. HK

9. Lower east side

10. Madison Square

11. Midtown East

12. Midtown West

15. SOHO

16. Time square

i tried separated them at first, and eventually i include all these areas in my choice to bid up $160. got rejected by all 3.5* and 4*

so what should i do? why only that week is so high, should i wait? or

Only 9/9-13/9 is the most expensive week...
Not really... 9/16-9/20 is just as expensive as your dates, if not more so.
...i include all these areas in my choice to bid up $160. got rejected by all 3.5* and 4*. so what should i do?
Are you willing to bid up to your $200 limit at this point in time OR do you prefer to try up to $160 again for a 3* property... or you can wait it out and hope for lower rates in the weeks ahead (but as noted above this is the start of high season in NYC)

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Are you willing to bid up to your $200 limit at this point in time OR do you prefer to try up to $160 again for a 3* property... or you can wait it out and hope for lower rates in the weeks ahead (but as noted above this is the start of high season in NYC)

yes im willing to bid up to $200. if its still not working, what do you think about living in New jersey where can traveling thru path. 4 stars like Hyatt and W, what do you reckon for the bid price? i have tried up to $170, still rejected....

The current 'issue' with bidding in NJ is that the Sheraton Lincoln Harbor is included in the 4* hotels and this is a distant second choice to the other 4* hotels in the zone (W Hotel, Hyatt, Westin)... the Sheraton Lincoln Harbor isn't bad, and it is do-able, but location-wise it's not as good the same as the other 4* hotels in the zone.

To clarify your last statement... you bid up to $170 for New York City or you tried that for NJ? If NYC, was that at the 3.5* level or 4* level?

HOTWIRE has a 3.5* hotel in the Downtown zone for $198/nite with:

Pet Friendly

Fitness

Restaurant

Business

... and a 4.5/5.0 TA rating. Best guess for this property would be the Wyndham Garden Chinatown.

Does this work for your needs?

Let us know how it goes or if we can be of further help.

thx, it sounds really good. but i cannot find it on HOTWIRE, maybe it sold out...?

btw do you know that all the 3* hotels on PRICELINE have private bathroom? because i saw a few 3* on agoda marked: shared bath. which are still a 3* hotel.... such as newton hotel, about $200 per night. is there any chance we bid a 3* on priceline which have to share bathroom...?? thanks~~~

All hotels from the 'opaque' side of PRICELINE (where you don't know the name until after purchase) have private bathrooms.

Unfortunately I'm not currently seeing the Downtown property offered.

What is the best deal you're able to find thru conventional booking channels? I did find this Comfort Inn Midtown West for $239/nite. It's not in the perfect location, but it's a new hotel and this rate is fully refundable up until the day before your arrival (always check cancellation policy during check-out) which will ensure you have a roof over your head for this trip, and give you a firm 'price to beat' while you continue to try/hope for better prices from PRICELINE or HOTWIRE in the weeks ahead.

Your thoughts on this option?

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]