Pets

Orcrone
By Orcrone,
in

I know this has been covered before, but it looks like it was covered before Pet-Friendly was listed as an amenity. Can I assume that if I book a hotel that lists Pet-Friendly as an amenity that I will be able to bring my 3 1/2 pound dog? As I type this question it sounds like it's not such a good idea to book with Hotwire in this case. Thank you for your suggestions.

If the pet friendly amenity is shown i don't see any reason why a 3.5 pound dog would be an issue... what is it that concerns you?

The only concern i would have is that while the hotel offered may be pet friendly, there may also be a charge involved for having a pet... this is often a one time fee per stay, so it can be substantial if this is just a one or two nite stay, less of a factor on a longer trip.

If you'd like help with an upcoming trip please post the details here (star rating, city, zone, dates, room rate per nite, amenities associated with the property) and we'll have a look at trying to guess as to which properties it may be.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... and your searches too! (please click each of these previous links before replying)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 1 year later...

I, too, am intrigued but wary about the introduction of this amenity displayed on opaque listings on Hotwire ("pet-friendly") and Priceline Express ("pets allowed").

Even leaving aside the possibility of a listing error that Orcrone raises, there are other pitfalls regarding pets, some of which are mentioned by thereuare.  Even when they allow pets, specific properties have various policies in place.  Some charge a pet fee, anywhere from $5 to $100, and may be per pet per night, or may be per stay.  Some have a limit on the size of pets (less than 10, 20, or 50 pounds), and some have a limit on the number of pets (usually one per room, sometimes two).  Some hotel websites (such as all of those covered in the Wyndham Rewards program) have an icon which gives specific details on their policies, but many others don't, and simply say that pets are permitted (without details) or prohibited.  Certain chains (Motel 6, Red Roof Inn) promote themselves as "pet friendly", do not usually charge pet fees, and tend to be more liberal regarding the size and number of pets.  When you're not sure of a particular property's pet policy, you can always call them and ask.  But with opaque listings, you may be taking the risk of running into an unexpected cost or problem; once you make your reservation, you can call ahead to ask their pet policy, but if it represents a problem for you, it may be difficult or impossible to cancel and get any kind of refund.

Oh, and most places that accept pets have certain other policies that make a lot of sense, even when they aren't stated: not leaving pets in the room unattended, not allowing pets to make noise that disturbs other guests, cleaning up pet waste, etc.  It's generally a good idea to mention pets in the comments when making a reservation.  (There's no facility for doing so on the opaque sites but you can always call the property after booking and asking for the comment to be added to your reservation.)

I sometimes travel with my two 50-pound dogs, and sometimes without.  So far I have not yet tried using opaque listings when traveling with my dogs, but if and when I do, I will report the results here on betterbidding.com

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]