Priceline Hotel: 4* Toronto (Downtown South) Renaissance Toronto Downtown Hotel

nadmak
By nadmak,
in

Hi,

I have used Priceline bidding before so I know who the re-bidding works. My question is do you think I would be getting better deals by breaking down my stay into smaller period? I don't mind changing hotels if it saves me money. For example, instead of bidding 4 nights for a Downtown TO South hotel, I would bid 2 separate bids of 2 nights for a Downtown TO South hotel.

Any idea if that could give me better rates? I assume that availability for longer periods may be reduced and hence cost more or that a hotel would not like to book off multiple nights at such a low price?

Thanks for your help. I am looking for Downtown TO 4* hotel for Aug 21-25.

Rates are really a case-by-case basis. A longer period definitely does not necessarily mean less of a discount - a period can be consistently inexpensive or expensive, making it so that breaking up date/s does not offer an advantage. Breaking up a stay is really only optimal if part of the stay is much more expensive/busy than the other.

What would be your desired budget per night for this stay?

Thank you for using the board's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

It might work because different hotels might have different inventory levels. On the other hand, PL tends to average out the nightly cost on longer stays and it could end up having the same price at the end of the day. That strategy works if you don't mind moving hotels, and works best in cities where you switch up the zones. In London, there are lots of zones with 4*, some of which are used more by business people during the week so they have cheaper prices on weekends. Then other zones might have more tourists on weekends so better prices during the week.

The only caution is that PL builds in a service charge into the "taxes and fees" section and it's a bit of a mystery as to how much that fee is.

• 2 weeks later...

It's not clear from your post... how high have you bid for a 4* hotel? How high for a 3.5*? Were both of these for the complete date range or did you try either for a subset of the dates? When was the last time you bid for each?

Please clarify the above and we'll comment accordingly.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Have you bid for a 4* in the Downtown South zone?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

No I have not tried any 4* yet but I doubt I can get them for under $85. I would like to keep my costs down as much as possible so I am still hoping the 3.5* under $85 will work out for me if I keep trying.

Have you included the 5% Priceline bidding discount in your bidding? It could help a little.

It is shown in red in thereuare's signature. All you have to do is click on that, and then enter the code (it was "summer" the last time I looked).

While I also like to have things all set way ahead of time, I know sometimes one just has to keep trying with the bidding. Lots of time left for some hotel to add some rooms to PL's inventory.

Romelle

The 5% off sale using the links in my signature expires on Wednesday, so you have to consider whether to raise your bid a little bit more now in order to take advantage of the 5% off sale... or i you think opaque rates will drop by at least 5% in the next 3-4 weeks.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]