Hotwire Hotel: 4* Chicago (Gold Coast - Lake Shore Drive) Public Chicago

Scooter55
By Scooter55,
in

Hello again!! It's been a long time ! So long in fact that it seems Lincoln Park has a 4 Star Hotel. So I would just like to verify a few other areas before I start bidding. Looks like Hyde Park and Skokie area are still safe to add to my rebids for a 4 star. Is that right? Of course I will use your link! Looking for the best price 8/9 to 8/12. Thanks, Joette

Okay looks like there are a few other safe bidding areas too.

My dates are flexible. I can do 8/10 to 8/13 or 8/9 to 8/12. One room 2 people. Saw a few interesting 4 stars on HOTWIRE. If I have questions should I continue on this thread or hop over to the Hotwire forum? I would like to stay north as far as Lincoln Park, but will consider Grant Park Loop area for a really good price.

Well I've been busy. What is your best guess on these hotels?

For dates 8/10 to 8/13

Hotwire.com

4-star Hotel in Magnificent Mile North - Water Tower 116.00

Smoke Free Rooms

Fitness Center

Restaurant(s)

Business Center

High-Speed Internet Access

Accessible for the blind

Accessible for the deaf

Accessible path of travel

In-room accessibility

Accessible bathroom

Handicapped parking

Roll-in shower

Hotwire.com

4-star Hotel in Magnificent Mile Area - River North 135.00

Free Internet

Boutique Hotel

Smoke Free Rooms

Fitness Center

Restaurant(s)

Business Center

Accessible for the blind

In-room accessibility

Wheelchair accessible

Accessible bathroom

Roll-in shower

Hotwire.com

4-star Hotel in Chicago Gold Coast - Lake Shore Drive 150.00

Fitness Center

In-room accessibility

Accessible bathroom

Roll-in shower

Best guess for each is inline below:

Hotwire.com

4-star Hotel in Magnificent Mile North - Water Tower 116.00

--> Allerton Crowne Plaza

Hotwire.com

4-star Hotel in Magnificent Mile Area - River North 135.00

Free Internet

Boutique Hotel

Smoke Free Rooms

Fitness Center

Restaurant(s)

Business Center

Accessible for the blind

In-room accessibility

Wheelchair accessible

Accessible bathroom

Roll-in shower

--> is there Deaf Accessible listed too? If so, Hotel Felix would be my best guess for this one.

Hotwire.com

4-star Hotel in Chicago Gold Coast - Lake Shore Drive 150.00

--> no guess

When bidding 4* in Chicago you have FIVE re-bid zones. Using the information this Priceline Re-Bidding Explained link see if you can determine your re-bid zones and confirm them with the board or ask any questions that you may have.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Yes, Sorry it does say Deaf Accessible. So Hotel Felix probably. I've read reviews and both Hotel Felix and Allerton seem to have small rooms and I'm just a bit claustrophobic. So if I don't do well on Priceline I may take a chance on the unknown hotel for 150.00. How bad could it be?

Rates are unfortunately pretty high for these date/s, so $150 should - given what I'm seeing on Expedia - still be a deal, given the prices I'm seeing regular rate. This is not a central area (Gold Coast and top of the NMA area), but it's a really nice area that's convenient to transit. It's also not a terrible walk North to the Zoo or Old Town area.

There are also a couple of different options if you search for 2 adults and 2 children, including a different 4* GC for $154 and a 4* in the Mag Mile area for $159 that could be the Sax, Felix or Palomar, but with the 4/5 tripadvisor rating on the detail page, I'd lean more towards the Sax (although any of the 3 would be a possibility.)

The 4* Gold Coast when you search for 2 adults and 2 children:

Free Internet

Pet friendly

Smoke Free Rooms

Fitness Center

Restaurant(s)

Business Center

Golf Nearby

Tennis Nearby

Accessible for the blind

Accessible for the deaf

In-room accessibility

Wheelchair accessible

Accessible bathroom

Handicapped parking

Roll-in shower

...I'd lean more towards the Public or Drake.

Thank you for using the board's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

You don't have to have 2 kids. It's not likely that it will get you a much larger room, but you may wind up with a room w/2 beds (and that may be a tad larger, although it all depends on the hotel). Entering in two adults and two children (even if you do not have 2 children) is a tactic that does (moreso in major cities) often end up showing at least some different options versus entering in only 2 adults. It may also result in somewhat higher/higher prices.

Thank you for using the board's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

I tryed to match this up with the Hotwire hotel list, but didn't see anything that matched exactly. Do you have any idea?

Hotwire.com

4-star Hotel in Downtown Chicago - Millennium Park - Grant Park 155.00 2 adults

Pet friendly

Smoke Free Rooms

Restaurant(s)

Accessible for the blind

Accessible for the deaf

In-room accessibility

Accessible bathroom

Handicapped parking

Roll-in shower

I'd guess the Blackstone Renaissance would be a definite possibility. I think it depends a fair amount on what you are looking to do, as while the South Loop is convenient to museums, there's not a ton going on at night. The Michigan Ave area has more in terms of restaurants, shopping and nightlife, but further from museums (although easy enough via public transit, walking or a combo of both.)

Actually we are visiting our son who lives in Lincoln Park with his girl friend. Even though they asked us to stay with them, those tiny apartments can be a little close. That is why I was interested in the north end this time. I have to say I am pretty good with the public transportation by now as long as I don't have to walk more than a few blocks. We stayed at the Palmer House a few times and the train is practically in the hotel! But I do think I will stay as near as possible to my son so he doesn't have to deal with so much traffic if he wants to pick us up. North of Wacker. Oh well enough talking. I need to make a decision! I will let you know the details.

I'd say stay towards the top end of Michigan Ave, as well. There are some great restaurants and sights in Lincoln Park and it would be a bit easier for you to head up there and easier for them if everyone wanted to head to one of the restaurants in the River North or Gold Coast areas North of the River.

Gave up on Priceline at 130.00 and went back to Hotwire. The Gold Coast Hotel you suggested above is in fact the Public. I went with 2 adults 2 children. (who knows I may need those imaginary kids to get a better room) Paid 156.00 a night. I don't know much about this Hotel. I do know Hotwire gave it 85%, but when I went to Trip Advisor it was more like 75%. We shall see. Thanks for all of the help, now and way back to my first trip to Chicago, when I was dropping my real kid off at college. So many great suggestions about where to shop, parking and everything else I neglected to think about back then! Warmest Regards to you guys, Joette

Congrats on your success. :)

Very, very nice deal for this property. This used to be the Ambassador East, but was closed for a while and completely redone as the Public Hotel by Ian Schrager, who is credited by many as the creator of the boutique concept. Story: http://www.hotelchatter.com/story/2011/9/12/16611/1329/hotels/Inside_The_Public_Chicago_Hotel

This property was previously an Omni and an independent property. However, decades ago it was one of the most highly regarded hotels in Chicago and was "the spot" for visiting celebs, especially the hotel restaurant: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pump_Room,_Chicago

Thank you for letting us know about this new HOTWIRE property so that we can update the site's Hotwire Hotel List.

Additionally, please let us know if you have any city questions. There is a Red Line subway stop a few blocks away (Clark/Division), so whether going to or coming from Lincoln Park, transit is convenient.

Thank you for sharing your win and please use the site's PRICELINE or HOTWIRE links to start your purchases and searches.

Lastly, there's a great farmers Market on Saturdays a couple of blocks away, on Division between State and Clark. It's also a very nice walk from this hotel to the Lincoln Park Zoo or the Old Town area.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]