Priceline Hotel: 3* Boston (North Cambridge - Arlington) Best Western Plus Hotel Tria

snowwolf
By snowwolf,
in

Generally speaking the 'downtown' zones are considered to be Quincy Market, Boston Common, and Copley.

However, Boston can get quite expensive at times and your ability to get a 3* hotel or better in one of these zones, or need to move further out of the 'core' area, will be dependent upon your budget... what is your expected budget per nite for this trip? (before taxes and fees)

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

As current rates i don't think that you'll be able get a hotel in the 'core' zones i had mentioned in my previous post... did you want to try for the zones you originally posted? (Boston Common, Brookline, Copley Square or Cambridge)

Should we also include Quincy Market in your bidding? Are you comfortable landing a hotel anywhere in the zones above? Did you first want to try for a 4* hotel up to your limit, then if rejected try for a 3.5* property, then if rejected try for a 3 star... OR is your goal the least expensive 3* or better for this trip?

Let us know the above and we'll take it from there.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I believe the descending approach is more optimized.

Do you mean try for a 3.5* up to your limit, then if rejected try for a 3*?

Which zones are acceptable at the 3* level? Note that Cambridge is divided into two zones, East and West, and please clarify which one it is (or both) that you are willing to bid on. Also, note that each of these zones are fairly geographically large and may not put you that close to a T stop, i'd have a good look to ensure that you're comfortable with a hotel anywhere in this zone. Also, while the Brookline zone is fairly narrow and runs along a T line, it can be a slow trip into 'Boston proper'.

Please confirm which zones, by PRICELINE name, you're willing to accept and we'll advise accordingly.

Using MAPS and HOTELS.com search for Cambridge MA and look at the location of the 'known' 3* and 3.5* hotels in the Cambridge West zone, the Doubletree and the Coutyard... each looks to be close to .75-1 mile to the nearest T station, would this be acceptable (or you can check the website of each to see if they offer shuttle service to a nearby T Station)

Please confirm the zones you're willing to accept and we'll advise accordingly.

My guess is that $150 will still not be enough for a 3* hotel if you're considering Boston Common, Copley Square, and Quincy Market, but if you want to give it a try, you can do so as follows:

When bidding 3* in Boston you have TWO re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 3* Boston Common...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $135, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3* Copley...

Select 3* Quincy Market...

Select 3* Boston Common and Copley...

Bid $138, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $143, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3* Boston Common and Quincy Market...

Bid $138, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $143, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3* Boston Common and Copley and Quincy Market...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $148, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150

If the above is rejected your best deal at the moment seems to be a PRICELINE EXPRESS offer for a 3.5* hotel in the Boston Common zone for $183/nite (using the discount link in my signature for 5% off brings this down to ~$175/nite). However, that link expires tomorrow so you'll need to decide if you want to increase your bid price for location or stay in a less central location and hope for the best in regards to T access. (if your 3* bidding is rejected you still do have an opportunity to bid at the 3.5* level today without waiting 24 hours, if you want to bid in an attempt to be the PRICELINE EXPRESS rate)

Let us know how it goes or how we can be of further help.

HOTWIRE has what looks like the Hyatt Regency in Cambridge for these dates. That's about a mile from a T stop, which is about as far as any hotel in Boston, I believe. But, the Hyatt will shuttle you for free around Cambridge (including the Kendall or Central T stop), and it's actually an easy walk to the Back Bay, just over the bridge (that would also be a mile or so, to the Boston University T stop).

The thing is, Cambridge appears to be MUCH cheaper for your dates than downtown Boston. Seems worth it to me. Just take taxis, you'll still save a bundle!

Have you tried any bidding yet? What on HOTWIRE looks interesting? Do you want to consider a cheaper stay in Cambridge instead of the more convenient, but also more expensive, 'downtown' area?

• 3 weeks later...

I tried but not so lucky so far. Could you help on two general questions:

1. Will the multiple small price difference bidding increase the chance to bid a hotel at a lower price? For example, will 6 times of biddings with prices 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105 have bigger chance to win than two times of biddings with prices 100 and 105?

2. According to your experience, generally speaking, how long in advance is the best time for the bidding? two weeks, four weeks, two months?

Thanks so much.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]