Priceline Hotel: 5* Melbourne (City Centre) Marriott Melbourne

ElPal
By ElPal,
in

Hi,

It appears that Priceline has changed Melbourne, Australia zones so that there are now 14.

There are only 3 zones that have 5* properties:

1. Downtown East Collins - Federation Square;

2. Downtown West Collins - Southbank; and

12. South Yarra - Toorak - Prahran.

I decided that I would prefer a hotel in zone 2 and based on the map, the 5* properties that Priceline has on its retail part plus the 9+ rating that is detailed as an amenitiy for a NYOP 5* in that zone, I determined the most likely properties are Westin and the Stamford.

Using your links, I first up decided to bid at $72 per night knowing that this would be unlikely to be accepted but also noting that it is at the starting point I like to use being 60% off of the retail price for the lowest price hotel on the retail part of the site for that category - in this case the Stamford is $165 or $181 including fees and taxes.

Not surprisingly this was rejected.

I then closed out, used your link again and this time added zone 3 as a free rebid zone and bid $75. Again rejected.

Closed out again, again used your link, bid $78 per night - again rejected.

Closed out again, again used

Hi,

It appears that Priceline has changed Melbourne, Australia zones so that there are now 14.

There are only 3 zones that have 5* properties:

1. Downtown East Collins - Federation Square;

2. Downtown West Collins - Southbank; and

12. South Yarra - Toorak - Prahran.

I decided that I would prefer a hotel in zone 2 and based on the map, the 5* properties that Priceline has on its retail part plus the 9+ rating that is detailed as an amenitiy for a NYOP 5* in that zone, I determined the most likely properties are Westin and the Stamford.

Using your links, I first up decided to bid at $72 per night knowing that this would be unlikely to be accepted but also noting that it is at the starting point I like to use being 60% off of the retail price for the lowest price hotel on the retail part of the site for that category - in this case the Stamford is $165 or $181 including fees and taxes.

Not surprisingly this was rejected.

I then closed out, used your link again and this time added zone 3 as a free rebid zone and bid $75. Again rejected.

Closed out again, again used your link, bid $78 per night selecting zone 2 and zone 4 as a free rebid- again rejected.

Closed out again, again used your link, bid $81 per night selecting zone 2 and zone 5 as a free rebid - again rejected.

Closed out again, again used your link, bid $84 per night selecting zone 2 and zone 6 as a free rebid - again rejected.

Closed out again, again used your link, bid $87 per night selecting zone 2 and zone 8 as a free rebid - again rejected.

Closed out again, again used your link, bid $90 per night selecting zone 2 and zone 9 as a free rebid - again rejected.

Given that the stay is still some time away I will wait a week or so before trying to bid around the same price range again.

I note that the Stamford is also the Wotif mystery hotel for Melbourne given that the description matches the description given for the Stamford on that site - I did a google search of the description and up came the Stamford as the only result. The rate for that hotel for those two nights as the mystery deal is US$197 for Sat 31/8 and $135 for Sun 1/9 being an average price per night of $166.

Using your PRICELINE link and selecting 5* each time, I have tried bidding again today:

Zone 2: Downtown West Collins - Southbank: $91 REJECTED

Closed out and went in again - zones 2 and 3 as rebid zone: $92 REJECTED

Closed out and went in again - zones 2 and 4 as rebid zone: $93 REJECTED

Closed out and went in again - zones 2 and 5 as rebid zone: $94 REJECTED

Closed out and went in again - zones 2 and 6 as rebid zone: $95 REJECTED

I then went back to look at the Priceline 5* properties and noted that now it appears that the Stamford only has a guest rating of 8.9, which would mean that it would actually no longer be within the guidelines given for a 5* in zone 2, which include a guest rating of 9 and above. It appears that only the Westin would fit within that zone now (unless of course Priceline has a NYOP hotel which is not within its retail part). The Westin has a rate of $232 per night on the retail part of Priceline.

Again, the stay is still over 6 weeks away so there is plenty of time for me to reassess and decide whether to continue bidding or take anothe option.

I will of course keep you posted and use your links.

Using your PRICELINE link and selecting 5* each time, I have tried bidding a few more bids:

Zones 2 and 8 as rebid zone: $96 REJECTED

Closed out and went in again - zones 2 and 9 as rebid zone: $97 REJECTED

Closed out and went in again - zones 2 and 10 as rebid zone: $99 REJECTED

I think I will now wait until a bit closer to the stay and weigh up options.

I then went back to look at the Priceline 5* properties and noted that now it appears that the Stamford only has a guest rating of 8.9, which would mean that it would actually no longer be within the guidelines given for a 5* in zone 2, which include a guest rating of 9 and above.

Using MAPS and HOTELS.com i'm showing the Stamford Plaza Melbourne as being in the Downtown East Collins - Federation Square (ZONE 1) which does not have any minimum guaranteed user review rating associated with it.

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Good luck and let us know if/how we can be of further help along the way.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for that. I always forget about MAPS and HOTELS.com but I must have been very tired when I was looking at this the other night as I had thought it was in the other zone when I looked at the PRICELINE zone map and the hotel address!

Thanks so much. I will now focus my bidding on zone 1 and may actually have more luck!

Using your link, I just bid for a 5* in zone 1 at $95 and was rejected. I will bid a bit closer to the date of stay using your links and keep you updated.

Thanks for that. I always forget about maps and hotels but I must have been very tired when I was looking at this the other night as I had thought it was in the other zone when I looked at the priceline zone map and the hotel address!

Thanks so much. I will now focus my bidding on zone 1 and may actually have more luck!

Using your link, I just bid for a 5* in zone 1 at $95 and was rejected. I will bid a bit closer to the date of stay using your links and keep you updated.

$100 for 5* in zone 1 was also rejected.

No, it has disappeared (again - it was there a few days ago and then went for a few days and then came back).

Based on what it says, are you able to let me know what you think it might be so that I can potentially buy it when it comes back up (as I suspect it will).

I always use your PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links for searching and purchasing.

Thanks

Let us know if it re-appears or if we can be of help with a different offer.

Thanks I will. I haven't seen it reappear yet.

Using your links as always, today I bid as follows:

Zone 1, 5*, $95 - rejected.

Closed out, went back in via your link, zone 1 and zone 3, 5*, $100 rejected.

Closed out, went back in via your link, zone 1 and zone 4, 5*, $105 rejected.

It's about 6 weeks away from our intended stay so I will keep an eye out for the express deals and will also continue to bid periodically and report back (using your links of course).

The express deal is back(found after viewing the express deals tab after bidding on NYOP using your link)!

Downtown East Collins - Federation Square Area for $138/night

Star Rating: 5 Star

Guest Score: Rated 8/10

Guaranteed Amenities:

Indoor or Outdoor Pool

Restaurant

Business Center

Fitness Center

Can you please tell me which hotel you think this is.

Thanks. I again using your links each time have placed a few more bids on zone 1 again today in the hope of getting the Stamford Plaza Melbourne.

$110 - rejected

$115 - closed out and went back in using free rebid zone 5, rejected

$117 - closed out and went back in using free rebid zone 8 - counter offer of $148 made by Priceline - I accidentally closed the window before I could do anything with it.

$118 - closed out and went back in using free rebid zone 9 - got the same counter offer of $148 from Priceline

$119 - closed out and went back in using free rebid zone 10 - same counter offer of $148

$120 - closed out and went back in using free rebid zone 11 - same counter offer of $148

At the moment the total price I would be paying if the $120/nt were accepted is a 20% reduction on the best available rate that I have found for the Stamford Plaza which seems to be the most likely hotel for this zone (cheapest and won before).

Now that I know that I am close, I will continue to bid in $1 increments on a daily basis but using a few rebid zones each day and of course using your links. I will let you know how I go.

Using your links and closing out and going back in via your link each time, I have continued bidding and continued getting the same counter offer.

Bid $1 increments up to $125 and still got the same $148 counter offer.

I will wait and rebid using your links as always over the next few days now and report back

You shouldn't have far to go. 1/2 way between your $117 bid (when you got the $148 counter-offer) and $148 is $132. While 1/2 way up doesn't always work, it does pretty often.

Are you clicking on that 5% discount showing in thereuare's signature? That will help a bit.

Romelle

Using your link, I tried zone 1, 5* and $126 and was unsuccessful. Got the same $148 counter-offer. Went out, used your link and rebid $127- same thing. Went out and back in using your link and my bid of $128 was accepted.

After expecting that I would be most likely to get the Stamford Plaza if my bid were accepted (as it is the lowest priced 5* hotel that Priceline has in its retail part for this zone), I was very surprised to get the Marriott.

Summary of Charges

Room Cost (avg. per room, per night): $128.00 (USD)

Number of Rooms: 1

Number of Guests Per Room: 2

Number of Nights: 2

Room Subtotal: $256.00 (USD)

Taxes and Fees: $38.18 (USD)

Priceline Hotel Coupon: -$12.80 (USD)

Total Charged to Card: $281.38 (USD)

This was quite a saving compared with the retail rate for the Marriott on Priceline:

Summary of Charges

Room Cost: (details) avg. per room, per night: $219.85

Rooms: 1

Nights: 2

Room Subtotal: $439.70

Taxes & Fees : $43.98

Total Charges: $483.68

A saving of $202.30 total or $101.15 per night being 41% off Priceline's retail rate is something I am quite happy with. Also, if the $138 express deal is the same property as we expect it might be then this is a saving of $10/nt before fees and charges on that rate too.

As always, I use your links for research and for purchases. Thank you for your help.

You're welcome re the change of zones.

Re the reservation, upon reading reviews on Tripadvisor I learned that none of the rooms have baths! I called the hotel and they confirmed that during the 2011 renovations, they removed the baths to make room for the walk in wardrobes they installed! Madness. I called Priceline to try to cancel holding out very little hope that they would. However, I merely mentioned that I found it odd that a 5* property would not have a bath and they called the Marriott, confirmed they don't have baths and then issued an immediate refund, no further questions asked.

I will now reconsider options - whether I look for the other end of Collins Street (zone 2) or whether I simply go ahead and book the Stamford Plaza, which was the hotel I was originally hoping for in any event.

I will use your links for any further searches or purchases.

Thanks

Thanks for the update.

For help with, or reporting a win for, your 'replacement' purchase, please start a NEW TOPIC since this thread reflects a 'win' for the Marriott.

In reading thru your post the first time i though you were saying that the rooms don't have bathrooms (and that it's a shared bathroom down the hall)... i wonder if PRICELINE thought the same thing that was the reason for allowing the cancellation.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$10 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: SAVEMORE

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $100+ purchase... expires 05/19/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]