By Fontaine,
in

This description (NYC Midtown East, 4.5 stars):

This Hotel features the following amenities:

Fitness Center

Business Center

Laundry Facilities (self-service)

High-Speed Internet Access

Turned out to be the Waldorf Astoria. Hotwire said that the hotel had a 90% satisfaction level, and a Trip Advisor 4 circle rating (80%?), when the real Trip Advior rating for this hotel which needed to be renovated 20 years ago is 65%.

Thank you for sharing your results with the board.

I believe there may have been more amenities than you listed in your post, which would not have been seen unless you clicked the 'See all' link during the check-out process.

Can you please add a reply to this thread confirming the room rate per nite and the full list of amenities associated with this property (including any 'accessible' amenities)... you can still view this information by going to HOTWIRE and clicking the MY ACCOUNT link near the top right of their home page.

Turned out to be the Waldorf Astoria. Hotwire said that the hotel had a 90% satisfaction level...the real Trip Advior rating for this hotel which needed to be renovated 20 years ago is 65%.
Note that the satisfaction level shown by HOTWIRE is from their own previous guests and is not related in any way to the Tripadvisor information.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Thanks!

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I'm not the original poster and I was just trying to help identify the hotel. I'm sorry for any confusion. There were no other amenities listed (I checked carefully) and I thought with the high satisfaction rate and the amenities this would be the Palace.

As the previous poster said, there is no way the Waldorf Astoria can be considered a 4.5 star hotel with a 90% satisfaction level. The hotel is in serious disrepair and needed a full renovation 20 years ago. My winning bid was exactly the same as the rack rate for most of my stay. I didn't even look at the AAA rate. I consider it a fraud for Hotwire to use a green thumbs up and a link to a Trip Advisor logo and be so far apart on the guest satisfaction level. When I pressed them on their guest satisfaction ratings not surprisingly they gave me no detail.

I'm not the original poster...

We have moved your post(s) to its own topic. Please post your wins as NEW TOPICS so that others will be aware of your win when searching the topic titles on the board or in the Priceline and Hotwire Calendar of Wins.

Can you please add a reply to this thread with the date(s) of your stay and the room rate per nite so we can add this information to and complete your topic title.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Thanks.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Dates 6/27 - 7/04

Rate $198 per night.

Amenities - cut and pasted from my reservation at my Hotwire account:

4.5-star Hotel in Midtown East

This Hotel features the following amenities:

Fitness Center

Guests have access to exercise equipment; an additional charge may apply.

Business Center

Guests have access to business equipment and services; an additional charge may apply.

Laundry Facilities (self-service)

<amenity names only please... not descriptions>

High-Speed Internet Access

Guestrooms are equipped with high-speed Internet access; an extra charge may apply.

Thank you for the follow-up and sorry to hear that the result was a disappointment.

The green thumbs up is because a certain amount of HOTWIRE customers have recommended the hotel - I believe it's 90%+. It's not associated with tripadvisor. There are tripadvisor ratings showing on the detail pages for some listings, which reflect tripadvisor overall (out of 5) user ratings.

Thank you for using the board's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

My beef is here. The Trip Advisor rating on the HOTWIRE page was 4.0 - which to me is an 80% satisfaction rate. The actual Trip Advisor satisfaction rate is actually much lower. Since Hotwire provides the Trip Advisor rating as an inducement to get me to book the hotel, I have a problem with it being wrong.

My beef is here. The Trip Advisor rating on the HOTWIRE page was 4.0...

... and at Tripadvisor the current rating for this property is 4.0/5.0.

The difference is that you extrapolated the TA circle rating to be the same as the percent recommended, but these are two different things and not directly related like that. User reviews are often a reflection of value... so it's quite possible that most at TA paid full price and therefore didn't find it to be as good a value and that effected their satisfaction level... whereas most HOTWIRE users paid a deeply discounted rate which enabled them to overlook any shortcomings, and thus their higher user satisfaction.

PLEASE NOTE that i'm not taking sides nor defending the hotel, but rather trying to provide more insight to help avoid any future disappointment.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]