Hotwire Hotel: ID - 4* - Midtown East - $355.-

santillan
By santillan,
in

Trying to ID following:

Dates: 10 and 11 December 2013 (is it too early to try for those dates?)

Area: Midtown East

Stars: 4

Price: 355,-

This Hotel features the following amenities:

Pet friendly

Fitness Center

Restaurant(s)

Business Center

High-Speed Internet Access

Tennis Nearby

Accessible for the blind

Accessible for the deaf

Accessible path of travel

In-room accessibility

Accessible bathroom

Handicapped parking

Roll-in shower

I will be in New York with my son, 20, for just 2 nights on our way to South America. I would love for my son to feel the full New York experience, so I am looking for a very nice, well located hotel. Advice would be very welcome.

Thank you very much in advance,

Santillan

This is traditionally one of the most busy times of the year (the period around 11/27-12/15) due to being prime time for shopping and holiday festivities.

My guess for the above HOTWIRE listing is the Grand Hyatt or Intercontinental Barclay.

That said, the 4* San Carlos Hotel (which also offers free breakfast) is $309 refundable (although do check the fine print!) for 2 beds via Travelocity.

Thank you for using the site's Travelocity, PRICELINE or HOTWIRE links to start your purchases and searches.

Happy to help! :)

Additionally, the San Carlos is not far from the potential HOTWIRE Grand Hyatt or Intercontinental Barclay. There are also some other hotels regular rate that are in the same neighborhood as the HOTWIRE listing (such as the rather unique "Night" hotel for $334 from Travelocity, as well as the Helmsley Park Lane for $366 and Affinia 50 for $379 via Expedia.) The San Carlos deal is the only one that offers 2 beds + breakfast (and, although check the fine print, would be refundable so if something else comes up you could cancel and re-book.

Thank you for using the board's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

So glad you are helping with information and ideas.

Just tried the San Carlos and I they mention some sort of mysterious possible additional charges as follows: This hotel charges guests one or more mandatory hotel charges. By way of example, these could include one or more of the following: resort fees, resort service charges, energy fees or surcharges, safe fees, safe warranty charges, or transportation fees.

Any mandatory hotel charges are in addition to the total price that you pay to us and, unless otherwise stated, are payable by you directly to the hotel upon checkout. Such mandatory hotel charges may also be subject to state and local taxes. The details of what these charges cover can be obtained from the hotel.

All information on applicable mandatory hotel charges is based upon information provided to us by the hotel and is subject to change by the hotel.

I have just looked also at the Night Hotel, which you suggested and it has a very good price either directly with them or via Travelocity. Had not heard about this hotel and it looks fun. Wondering whether it would be more gimmicky than comfortable and beautiful. It has good reviews in Tripadvisor.

Te Helmsley Park has such mixed reviews that I don't know what to do. Originally, when I first saw it, I thought that would be it. The location is fab. But there are some bad reviews mixed in.

Amongst the Night, the Helmsley Park and the San Carlos, any particular advice? Or shall I just plunge for the Interconti with Hotwire (if that is still going)?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Santillan

Happy to help! :)

Additionally, the San Carlos is not far from the potential HOTWIRE Grand Hyatt or Intercontinental Barclay. There are also some other hotels regular rate that are in the same neighborhood as the HOTWIRE listing (such as the rather unique "Night" hotel for $334 from Travelocity, as well as the Helmsley Park Lane for $366 and Affinia 50 for $379 via Expedia.) The San Carlos deal is the only one that offers 2 beds + breakfast (and, although check the fine print, would be refundable so if something else comes up you could cancel and re-book.

Thank you for using the board's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

So glad you are helping with information and ideas.

Just tried the San Carlos and I they mention some sort of mysterious possible additional charges as follows: This hotel charges guests one or more mandatory hotel charges. By way of example, these could include one or more of the following: resort fees, resort service charges, energy fees or surcharges, safe fees, safe warranty charges, or transportation fees.

Any mandatory hotel charges are in addition to the total price that you pay to us and, unless otherwise stated, are payable by you directly to the hotel upon checkout. Such mandatory hotel charges may also be subject to state and local taxes. The details of what these charges cover can be obtained from the hotel.

All information on applicable mandatory hotel charges is based upon information provided to us by the hotel and is subject to change by the hotel.

I have just looked also at the Night Hotel, which you suggested and it has a very good price either directly with them or via Travelocity. Had not heard about this hotel and it looks fun. Wondering whether it would be more gimmicky than comfortable and beautiful. It has good reviews in Tripadvisor.

Te Helmsley Park has such mixed reviews that I don't know what to do. Originally, when I first saw it, I thought that would be it. The location is fab. But there are some bad reviews mixed in.

Amongst the Night, the Helmsley Park and the San Carlos, any particular advice? Or shall I just plunge for the Interconti with Hotwire (if that is still going)?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Santillan

Thank you. I clicked.

Yesterday I emailed the San Carlos Hotel to ask them directly whether there would be any extra charges, but they have not replied. How can one make sure that no extra charges will be sprung upon by the hotel once one is there?

Still wondering whether to go for The Night Hotel, the San Carlos, Helmsley Park, or hope the best with Hotwire (may be Intercontinental). It is for only 2 nights so I need to be somewhere handy to give my son a great experience of New York. Any advice?

Thank you, Santillán

The extra fee might be the $3.50 city tax.

Also, the Affinia 50 mentioned above can be booked HERE for your dates for $322/nite and is refundable up until a few days before your stay (again, always check the cancellation polity curing the check-out process)

With time before your stay i would book one (or more) of the refundable options as it locks in your 'price to beat' and protects you from rates moving higher from here. You don't need to find the perfect hotel today since better rates may be offered down the road... but given this is a busy time of year in NYC i would book something that you are happy with should rates only move higher.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I followed your advice and booked the San Carlos for 716.14 USD for 2 nights for a double room (2 double beds) incl. breakfast.

Sounds rather good, considering prices elsewhere.

And, as you say, I have something assured which I can still cancel, and in the meantime I have plenty of time to look around in case I see something better.

My other doubt was whether to stay around this area, or also look for a hotel in the SoHo area; the problem there was that there are so many sub-areas and not-so-nice areas that I felt flummoxed and could not decide.

Furthermore, we will arrive at Newark, so I need to find a good way to get to town (other than taxi, though that might be an option too).

Thank you very much for all your help.

Santillan

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]