Priceline Hotel: 5* City Center Edinburgh

twinkletoes915
By twinkletoes915,
in

There apparently is some major event or holiday that weekend. Looking at Hotwire, I saw a 5* for $165 for your first night (a Thursday), but there was no 5* under $200 for the Saturday and Sunday.

There was a Hotwire 4* at $165 for your 3 night span.

Priceline Express 5* was $255 for your dates.

Rates are very date specific.

Romelle

My desired budget is 130 as that is what seems to be the past successful WIN in the past.

I thought I knew how to re-bid, either change star, which I don't want to do, or change are which I don't want to do, but I may be wrong so I will check your link.

I re-tried again today, going back down to the original 130 as I had gotten up to 170.

Thanks

quote name='thereuare' timestamp='1369232993' post='622194']

Are you familiar with re-bidding? If not, please see Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zone before bidding.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

My desired budget is 130 as that is what seems to be the past successful WIN in the past.

The recent successful 5* Edinburgh city center $130 win was in March of this year. The only other 5* win I saw was back in 2008, so not a good comparison.

I checked the 5* Sheraton Grand rates for your dates - 237 GBP. While I couldn't go back and check this prior March, I went forward and checked a Thursday, Friday and Saturday (same as your days of the week) in March, 2014 - 185 GBP.

So, July is roughly 30% more than March. But when rates are higher, the % savings from Priceline bidding tends to get slimmer. Hotels, near or at capacity, haven't the incentive to offer large discounts.

Based on the above, and the research in my prior post, I'd guess a successful 5* bid will be over $200.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings though.

You might consider making a cancelable back-up reservation, and then you can keep seeking a better deal up until the very last.

Romelle

PS - at the 5* level you actually can get two bids each day if you use the free rebidding technique. After you've read the link thereuare provided, post back if you still are unsure.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]