Priceline Hotel: NYC - Sept 19-23 - Two Zones "Greyed Out"

Jay&Bobbi
By Jay&Bobbi,
in

Looking to bid on a room in NYC for Sept 19-23.

When I go to select my desired zone (TS), I see that both Coney Island and Queensborough Bridge zones are "greyed out" and not selectable.

Any idea why this happens? (This is unfortunate, as these are two zones I've previously used as "rebid zones")

Thanks

Not sure what star level you're currently looking to bid, but you do have TWO re-bid zones available at the 4* level... unfortunately no re-bid zones at 3.5* or below. If you're not sure how to determine your re-bid zones see Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask question you have and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board.

Let us know if/how we can be of further help with your plans for this trip.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Looking to win a 4* (or 3.5*) in TS or MW for four nights (9/19-22)

We won the 4* Marriott Marquis last year in early Sept for $160, but right now, even $215 bids are being rejected, even for 3.5* hotels.

Could it be the hotels are still holding on to their inventory, and I'm bidding too early at those amounts? In the past, I began bidding 6-8 weeks in advance.

Thanks

You may be somewhat early, but this is traditionally a busy period in NYC - the Fall and early Winter (around mid-Sept through mid-December) is traditionally expensive, with some exceptions.

What I would do is pick a "ceiling" for the time being and bid up to that point every 3-5 days for a couple of months - if nothing accepts, then you can decide whether or not to move higher and/or look at alternate zone/s. What would be your desired max budget per night for this stay?

Thank you for using the board's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

That's pretty much what I've been doing for the past week; bidding $190 for TS, then adding MW and changing the bid to $195.

I'd like to keep the price for a 4* under $200, and maybe $185 for a 3.5* (not including taxes, fees, etc)

Best case scenario is to get 4* in TS for under $200, hoping to get the Marquis again

I think at this point a 4* in these areas is likely going to run more along the lines of $240-260 +/- a bit. I would continue to start lower and work up to $185 (ceiling) for a 4* every 3-5 days for about a month and a half - if nothing accepts, then you can look into additional zone/s or other alternatives.

Thank you for using the board's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

That's pretty much what I've been doing for the past week; bidding $190 for TS, then adding MW and changing the bid to $195.

You can do better than this... are you familiar with re-bidding? If not, see Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board (highly recommended especially if you're new to the concept) before bidding.

Let us know if you're able to identify your TWO re-bid zones at the 4* level and we'll take it from there.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

So using your TWO re-bid zones a better strategy would be (you can adjust the prices however you would like, but idea below is to show how you can get many more bids, as well as try for the 'second zone at lower amounts then you're currently able to above):

Select 4* MTW...

Bid $180, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $185, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $190, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* TS...

Bid $180, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $185, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $190, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* MTW and TS...

Bid $195, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $200, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $205

All of the bids above can be made within the same session.

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Any questions let us know (and always double check your re-bid zones just before bidding to make sure that nothing has changed since you last checked)

Those look like good strategies; I'll try that today.

A "stupid" question...is it even possible that I could inadvertently win a hotel in one of the "rebid" zones, even though they show no 4* properties in that zone(s)?

(Even though it hasn't happened yet, that's by biggest concern when using rebid zones)

Thanks again.

In 10+ years i know of two situations where user's won a hotel at a given star level where this Priceline Re-Bidding Explained method showed that there were no hotels at that star level in the zone... in both situations the user hit an update 'just right' (or just wrong as the case may be) and the following day (or within 48 hours) PRICELINE once again reflected the 'true' re-bid zones.

You need to be comfortable with whatever bidding strategies you utilize.

• 1 month later...

soledad,

The OP has not posted a win or an update to this thread in over a month :angry: so it's unknown if they've been successful or not.

However, at the strategy supplied above was created over a month ago, and rates may have changed since that time, and/or you may want other zones and/or have a different budget or star rating in mind, feel free to start a NEW TOPIC for your own trip if you'd like any assistance.

If you haven't yet please read your messages before posting.

Thanks.

Hi,

I'm the OP and we're still in the process of bidding. Right now, I'm limiting my search to 4* in TS in hopes of getting the Marriott Marquis, which I've won twice before and really like the place. To date, bids up to $215 have been rejected.

As date gets closer, I'll probably expand search to include 3.5* or 4* in MW, MSG and possibly Chelsea. If i start looking at 3.5*, I hope to get something for under $200.

I'll supply updates as they happen.

Thanks

Thank you for keeping us updated. Good luck on your bidding, although do note that there are a number of potential 4*'s in the TS zone, so the Marriott is definitely not guaranteed. Please let us know what you decide and if you have additional questions.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]