Priceline Hotel: 3.5* New York City (Empire State Building) Courtyard New York Manhattan/Fifth Avenue

wooderson
By wooderson,
in

Looking to book a hotel in the Times Square area for Sat, April 27 - Tue, April 30. Would like to stay with a 4* or better. Greatly prefer Times Square, though wouldn't be terribly upset with Midtown East, Midtown West, Empire, or even Chelsea ... in that order. Would prefer to keep it as affordable as possible, close to $150/night. Can live with $175. Definitely want to stay under $200. I've had great success bidding for other cities in the past, using this site's PRICELINE link, of course. It has been over 10 years since I have bid on NYC, though. Normally, I try to bid as late as possible, usually beginning bids the night before check-in or even the day of. Is this a good method? Any advice provided would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Greatly prefer Times Square, though wouldn't be terribly upset with Midtown East, Midtown West, Empire, or even Chelsea ... in that order.

What is more important... price or location? Did you want to first only bid the Times Square zone or does price take precedence and your ultimately goal is the least expensive 4* or better in any of your acceptable zones?

If not bidding all zones at once, how high do you want to go for a 4* hotel in your first group of zone(s) before including the other acceptable areas?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I think price is slightly more important than location. Time Square is very much preferred, or somewhere within decent walking distance, hence the other zones mentioned, as we will be in TS pretty much the entire stay. I think the ultimate goal is least expensive 4* in TS, or within comfortable walking distance. Willing to pay slightly more for TS, though my general price preferences are listed in the OP.

I think my biggest question is when is the best time to bid? Again, I have used Priceline for over a decade. Through all my years of biddings, I have always initiated the process either the day before, or day of check-in. I don't think I have ever been disappointed with a win. Is this the best method? My goal is to seek some advice, prior to starting the bidding process sometime late next week.

How high do you want to bid for a 4* hotel in TS before including other zones?

Should TS fail do you then want to add MTE only or ANY of the four other zones are equally acceptable after TS fails?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 2 weeks later...

I've been looking at recent bids, as well as how prices look on HOTWIRE. As we get closer to check-in, prices have definitely dropped, which is consistent with experience in the past. That said, I'll assume to start bidding the night before (Friday), or even the day of (Saturday). If this past weekend is any indication, HOTWIRE had 4* hotels for sub $150, let alone 3* in the $120s.

I'll try TS first, and then incrementally add MTW, MTE, Empire, Chelsea, in that order. Numbers adjusted after recent price changes, I think I'll go up to $150 for TS, and then try the other zones, ultimately being happy with as low as a 3* in the $120's. Hope it works.

Used this site's PRICELINE link to book ...

Courtyard Marriott New York Manhattan/Fifth Avenue

Empire State Building Area

3 E 40th St, New York, NY 10016

(212) 447-1500

Room Cost (avg. per room, per night): $153.00 (USD)

Number of Rooms: 1

Number of Guests Per Room: 2

Number of Nights: 3

Room Subtotal: $459.00 (USD)

Taxes and Fees: $102.78 (USD)

Total Room Cost: $561.78 (USD)

Thought about waiting until the morning of, but decided to try a bid tonight. Overall, we're happy with it. Thanks.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]