Hotwire Hotel: 4.5* Midtown East for $379 on 4/17 & 4/18

switters
By switters,
in

I'm seeing a 4.5* Midtown East hotel from 4/17-4/18 on Hotwire. It lists Fitness Center, Business Center, Laundry Facilities (self-service) and High-Speed Internet Access as amenities. It also says "Recommended by 90% of users." Would that be the New York Palace?

Then there is a 4* Midtown Central from the same dates also on Hotwire. It lists Fitness Center, Restaurant, Business Center and High-Speed Internet access. It is recommended by 100% of users. Would that be the Sheraton since it is a "customer favorite"?

I am also now seeing:

- 4.5 star Midtown East $349; Amenities: pet friendly, smoke-free rooms, fitness, restaurant, business, laundry, high speed internet, tennis, spa.

I don't see any 4.5* hotels in Midtown East that list "pet-friendly" as an amenity on the sticky list.

Looks like the options have changed again. Now I am seeing:

1. 4* in Midtown Central. $324 with Fitness Center, Restaurant, Business Center and High-speed internet. 100% Recommended.

2. 4.5* Midtown East. $379 with Fitness, Business, Laundry, High-Speed Internet. 90% Recommended.

3. 4.5* Midtown East $374 with Fitness, Business, Laundry, High-Speed Internet. 90% Recommended. (This appears to be identical to #3 except for the $5 difference in price.)

4. 4* Midtown East for $236 with Pet Friendly, Fitness Center, Restaurant, Business Center, High-Speed Internet Access, Tennis Nearby, Accessible for Blind, Accessible for Deaf, Accessible Path of Travel, In-Room Accessibility, Accessible Bathroom, Handicapped Parking, Roll-In Shower. 90% Recommended.

My guesses:

1. Sheraton NY (because it's the only one listed as Customer Favorite with these amenities).

2. New York Palace? (But it doesn't say Customer Favorite on the sticky page next to NY Palace.) Maybe it's Waldorf Astoria with Laundry added?

3. Same as #3. One or the other?

4. Intercontinental The Barclay?

General questions:

— Is it generally best to go with the hotel with a higher Customer Recommended percentage and lower star rating, or the other way around? I'm guessing the former, but just curious.

— How much does price reveal about what the hotel is? By far the best deal is the 4* Midtown East for $236. Does the lower price indicate anything other than a better deal?

The customer % is not a reliable indicator. It has been seen to change from search-to-search at times. Price is not really an indicator, either - hotels price at their own discretion (a 3* may be more expensive than a 4*, etc.)

For the first 3 listings:

If you go back to HOTWIRE and click the red SHOW ME button next to this offer (the one with the price in it), then on the ensuing page click the 'See all' link under the amenities, do you see more than what you've posted above?

For the MTE listing, this would be a possible match for the Intercontinental or Grand Hyatt.

Thank you for using the board's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]