Priceline Hotel: Downtown Chicago 3/16/13 - 3/17/13

Error70
By Error70,
in

Aaron suggested I start a thread to ask for advice. I will be attending a small convention in Northbrook from Thursday to Saturday. We're going to take the opportunity to have the family come into downtown Saturday morning and see the dyeing of the river and the parade. The plan was to get a hotel in the Loop, park the mini van, and walk everywhere the whole weekend. Unfortunately as Aaron pointed out there is a huge convention at McCormick Place starting Saturday, and the few rooms still available are north of $200-300.

My plan at his point is to wait til the last minute and try another round of rebids. Assuming that fails, I'll add a night on to the hotel in Northbrook and we'll just have to drive out and back. Any thoughts from the Chicago/Priceline experts? Thanks.

Being familiar with the area, I actually like the Metra trains that go to/from the burbs. These are nicer, Amtrak-like trains that have bathrooms, conductors and two levels. They don't run as often as CTA trains (especially on the weekend) and are more expensive (there are weekend passes), but they're comfortable and a nice way to see the area.

What price point/star rating have you bid up to in the downtown zone/s at this point? I think you could probably get a 3.5-4* in the Northbrook area for maybe as low as the upper 40's (3.5*) or the mid-$50's (4*). You'd be looking at a 35-45 minute train ride each way, but the hotel would be much less and free parking. If you bid 4* in the North Shore zone (which is a separate zone in the North Shore region in the North burbs) and get the Renaissance, that hotel - last I checked - has a shuttle that goes to a nearby Metra, although I'm not sure about hours of operation for the shuttle. The other 4* in the zone is the Westin, which would be a mild drive to a Metra station.

At the 3.5* level in the Deerfield or North Shore zones I would not be surprised if something accepts in the mid-to-upper $40's, given the regular rates I'm seeing. I like the 3.5*'s in the Deerfield zone (the Marriott Suites has gotten a few negative reviews, but I've enjoyed it there) more than the 3.5*'s in the North Shore zone, but if you can get something for $45-47ish at the 3.5* level in either zone, certainly a good deal either way.

While switching hotels isn't optimal, I think you could get something at the 3.5-4* level in the burbs for not much more if you decide on the burbs for the additional night.

In terms of downtown, many hotels appear sold out for that night - there's one 4* on HOTWIRE for $231 in the Millennium Park area, but given the amount of hotels that are sold out and how busy this night appears to be, I think at this point if there was a 4* available in either zone, it would probably take $175-200 (although you could start lower.) The HOTWIRE listing is a 4* in the Downtown-Millennium Park-Grant Park area for $231 w/Restaurant, Pool, Indoor Pool, Fitness, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Tennis, Spa, Blind Accessible, Deaf Accessible, Travel Accessible, Room Accessible, Bathroom Accessible, Roll-in Shower. If you are seeing the same amenity set, this would be a possible match for the Swissotel, which is by the river.

Unfortunately, this particular weekend downtown has gotten worse rate-wise since a few weeks ago.

Let us know your thoughts/if you have any questions.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]