Priceline Hotel: Newbie Bidding Help 4* Manhattan

Alpha123
By Alpha123,
in

Help everyone. Thanks for this great service/board.

I'm new and been trying to read and get up to speed. Here's my scenario and my strategy:

Budget: $125/night plus parking. So, probably $175 max out the door (including tax and fees) is that realistic?

Preferred zones: MTE/W, ESB, MSG, or anywhere that is safe and has great value.

Purpose of the trip: Tourst. We will go to soho, WTC, central park, etc. will have a car.

Here's how I understand how it works.

Go through your PRICELINE link, enter 1 zone (MTE) and select 4*, enter a bid like $100.

If rejected, ad re-bid zone that doesn't offer 4* and bid $105? Repeat?

I guess I'm a little confused as to whether I have to add a new zone every time I bid or if I can just raise my bid?

I don't want to mess this up and get stuck in a crappy hotel.

I will definitely post my results. Thanks in advance for any help.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Budget: $125/night plus parking. So, probably $175 max out the door (including tax and fees) is that realistic?

Unfortunately at current rates $125/nite for a 4* hotel does not appear to be realistic. We can start lower, and stop at whateever maximum bid you'd like, but for a 4* hotel at the moment you're likely looking closer at $180-$200/nite (before taxes/fees).
...anywhere that is safe and has great value.
Given that rates are high for your dates, if you're looking for value Downtown often offer the best value. It's a little out of the way and quiet on the weekends, but for the right price is certainly do-able... although a quick look here shows rates are still inflated, but if this is an option we'll investigate further for you.

Depending how flexible your budget is (if it's not flexible) you may want to consider Jersey City, NJ where a 4* hotel that is closer to the PATH station (train to take you into Manhattan) can be had for your dates at ~$100/nite. You do lose a lot of the 'buzz' of staying directly in the city and you don't have the convenience of heading back to your hotel a few times a day to drop of bags, freshen up, sit down for 20 minutes, etc... but the price is right and it's about a 15-20 mintute ride to midtown.

Go through your PRICELINE link, enter 1 zone (MTE) and select 4*, enter a bid like $100.

If rejected, ad re-bid zone that doesn't offer 4* and bid $105? Repeat?

I guess I'm a little confused as to whether I have to add a new zone every time I bid or if I can just raise my bid?

PRICELINE only allows you to make the same (identical) bid once every 24 hours, which is why you need to use re-bid zones in order to bid again while increasing your bid.

When bidding 4* in NYC you have SIX re-bid zones. If you haven't seen it yet, give Priceline Re-Bidding Explained a read and ask questions and/or confirm your SIX re-bid zones with the board... from there we can suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Let us know your thoughts and we'll take it from there.

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks a bunch for the info. Making progress!

Ok, so I understand everything you wrote but still a little unclear on the re-bid zones. I've read the link several times (it's just me). Tell me if i'm on the right track.

Goal: 4* in MTE/MTW/ESB/MSG for 125 or less.

1st bid - $100 for 4* in MTE

Re-bid 1 - $105 4* in MTE

Re-bid 2 - $110 4* in MTE/MTW

Re-bid 3 - $115 4* in MTE/MTW/ESB/MSG

Re-bid 4 - $120 4* in MTE/MTW/ESB/MSG/TS

Re-bid 5 - $125 4* in MTE/MTW/ESB/MSG/TS/upper east side (choosing the latter zone because they don't have 4*?)

Re-bid 6 - $130 4* in MTE/MTW/ESB/MSG/TS/upper east side/queensborough (choosing the latter zones because they don't have 4*?)

Is this right? What happens if none of these are accepted?

No, that's not right, try this:

1) Use the PRICELINE search box on the upper right of this page, enter 'New York City, NY' and your dates, and click "GO".

2) List each zone that is offered in this region.

3) Next to each zone list the highest star rating offered in the zone. The way to determine the highest star rating offered in the zone is by selecting the first zone i the list, then scrolling down to see the highest star rating selectable (ie- not greyed out). NEXT UNcheck the selected zone, place a checkmark in the next zone, and repeat the process for each zone in the region. Each time you take note of the highest star rating in the zone, make sure that only ONE zone is selected above.

4) post your findings and we'll take it from there

If you don't follow the above just post back and we'll break it down further.

If your bid(s) are not accepted your credit card is not charged... you can then re-try on another day.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for helping me along. Sorry I'm so slow.

I did read the re-bid post and read you response. I think i'll need it broken down a little further - step by step if you can.

Can you tell me what my first bid will look like? I think once I actually place the bid it will make more sense. or, is this it?

Re-bid 1 - $100 4* in MTE

Re-bid 2 - $100 4* in MTW

Re-bid 3 - $100 4* in ESB

Re-bid 4 - $100 4* in MSG

If that doesn't then what do I do?

Thanks for the help.

1) Use the PRICELINE search box on the upper right of this page, enter 'New York City, NY' and your dates, and click "GO".

2) List each zone that is offered in this region.

Start with the above and in a reply to this thread list each zone in the NYC region.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Now go back to that page and place a checkmark next to the Brooklyn zone... scroll down the page and see the highest star rating that is 'active' (ie- some star ratings will be selectable... others greyed-out). Write down next to this zone the highest star level offered in the zone.

Now UNCHECK Brooklyn and select the next zone on the list (Central Park South). Scroll down and record the highest star level in this zone.

Scroll back up adn UNCHECK Central Park South and choose the next zone in the list.

Repeat this process for all zones, and each time you look to determine the highest star level in the zone, make sure that ONLY ONE ZONE IS SELECTED at a time.

Post back with your findings or ask any additional questions if you're confused.

I did something similar to this but for this coming weekend. I couldn't get a 4 star for $145. You might be able to try a 3.5 star though. The reason mine got shut down though was for St. Patty's Day weekend. You might have a really hard time your weekend because of Easter. It seems that most people get The Roosevelt for 4 star from the other threads I read. The 3 star reviews are just as good as that hotel on Tripadvisor.

The number next to the zone represents the max star rating

1. Brooklyn - 4
  2. Central park south - 4
  3. Chelsea area - 4
  4. Coney island - 2
  5. Downtown - 4
  6. ESB - 4
  7. Hells kitchen - 4
  8. Long island city - 3
  9. Lower east side - 3.5
  10. MSG - 4
  11. MTE - 4
  12. MTW - 4
  13. Morning side heights - 3
  14. Queensborough - 3
  15. Soho - 4
  16. TS - 5
  17. Upper east side - 3
  18. Upper west side - 4

GREAT... we're making progress. :)

Now, do you see (for example) how if you were to bid for:

4* hotel in the MTE and Long Island City

--> if this bid was successful the hotel would HAVE to be in the MTE zone since the Long Island City zone doesn't contain any 4* or higher hotels (and in fact only contains hotels that are rated 3 star and lower)

Does that make sense?

I'm not sure if this will help but I wrote down every single zone that I could add as a re-bid zone each time (in my chosen location). So in your case any zone that does not have a 4* rated hotel. Then as I added each zone, it would be crossed off the list :)

Sounds complicated but once you get used to it and get knocked back (if that happens a couple of times) it becomes easier and easier and you know your rebid zones off the top of your head if you have to go back a couple of days in a row! Write them down every time though rather than get caught out.

Take thereuare's advice though - great way to secure the properties you need! :)

It does makes sense. So here's my plan. Let me know if it makes sense. Don't worry about the price points. I will probably have to adjust based on recent winning bids.

Re-bid 1 - $105 4* in MTE/Coney Island

Re-bid 2 - $110 4* in MTE/Long Island

Re-bid 3 - $115 4* in MTE/Lower East Side

Re-bid 4 - $120 4* in MTE/Morningside

Re-bid 5 - $125 4* in MTE/Queensborough

Re-bid 6 - $130 4* in MTE/Upper East Side

If these don't work I will switch to the MTW and try the same tactic?

You now have the concept down... but whether you bid the first strategy you posted immediately above depends upon your maximum bid for this trip. Previously stated a maximum bid price of $125, and unfortunately i just don't think that is going to be realistic for these dates based upon current prices.

If you let us know your current maximum bid we will suggest a strategy for you to follow.

So if your acceptable zones are still: MTE/MTW/ESB/MSG i would bid as follows using your SIX re-bid zones (always double check your re-bid zones just before bidding to make sure that nothing has changed since you last checked):

Select 4* MTE and MTW...

Bid $100, if rejected add are-bid zone...

Bid $105, if rejected add are-bid zone...

Bid $110, if rejected add are-bid zone...

Bid $115, if rejected add are-bid zone...

Bid $120, if rejected add are-bid zone...

Bid $123, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* ESB and MSG...

Bid $100, if rejected add are-bid zone...

Bid $105, if rejected add are-bid zone...

Bid $110, if rejected add are-bid zone...

Bid $115, if rejected add are-bid zone...

Bid $120, if rejected add are-bid zone...

Bid $123, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* MTE and MTW and MSG...

Bid $125, if rejected add are-bid zone...

Bid $128, if rejected add are-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected add are-bid zone...

Bid $133, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* MTE and MTW and ESB...

Bid $125, if rejected add are-bid zone...

Bid $128, if rejected add are-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected add are-bid zone...

Bid $133, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* MTE and MTW and ESB and MSG...

Bid $135, if rejected add are-bid zone...

Bid $138, if rejected add are-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected add are-bid zone...

Bid $143, if rejected add are-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected add are-bid zone...

Bid $148, if rejected add are-bid zone...

Bid $150

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$10 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: SAVEMORE

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $100+ purchase... expires 05/19/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]