Priceline Hotel: 3* Philadelphia (Downtown) Marriott Downtown

Pettifogger
By Pettifogger,
in

I'd like to stay in a 4* in Phildelphia Downtown for two nights (checking in 9/19/05, checking out 9/21/05).

I was thinking about starting at $50 and increasing by $5 increments using the rebidding method described here. Since these are both weeknight stays, but in September, what is the likelihood that I will get something for $75/night or under? I'm prepared to go down to 3*, but would prefer 4*.

Thanks!

Welcome to BetterBidding!

I would think that your chances for a 4* under $75 for these dates are not very good. The most likley acceptor with that maximum bid would be the Hyatt, and they are showing sold-out for your dates. This hotel has accepted priceline bids before when they are sold-out, but the odds are greatly reduced when this is the case.

I would still suggest trying, but if you really want a 4* i would consider raising your bid, or come to terms that you will most likely have to settle for a 3* property.

If you'd like a specific bidding strategy to follow let us know.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Initially was trying for a 4* in Downtown. Started at $50 and worked up to $80 in $5 increments using the re-bidding strategy (adding areas that didn't have 4* hotels). All were rejected.

After hitting my budget limit at $80, I backed out completely and re-entered my info for a 3* hotel in Downtown only. I bid $50 for a 3* in Downtown and it was accepted for the Marriott Philadelphia Downtown. Total including taxes and fees was $64.51.

Pettifogger, I got almost exactly the same deal a few weeks ago and was very happy with it. The Marriott is extremely centrally located a couple of blocks from City Hall, the public areas are quite impressive, and my room was very nice. Not far at all below 4*, and a great bargain at that price.

As you have learned, except for some weeknights when the Hyatt Regency will unload some rooms at a low rate, you have to bid pretty high by PL standards to get one of the 4* in downtown Philly. I think you will almost certainly get better for value for your dollar with this deal than you would if you had bid high enough to get a 4*. Once when I was determined to get a 4*, I had to go up to 3 times as much as we paid for the Marriott to get one. It was the Sofitel, and yes the room blew away the Marriott, but it should have blown it even farther at three times the price.

The trouble, as with all the downtown hotels, is that parking is murderously expensive. The big parking garage across the street from the hotel is a little better, but not much. Look (by my screen name as the originator)for the thread where I reported my win at this hotel--on it daHammer provided a link to a list of less expensive parking garages with i few blocks. If you will be parking a car, I'd definitely check it out.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]