Priceline Hotel: 3* Palm Beach (Airport PBI - Lakes) West Palm Beach Marriott

cedric31
By cedric31,
in

Started at $125, rejected

Immediate rebid at $150, rejected

Immediate rebid at $175, rejected

Immediate rebid at $200, accepted

Priceline direct booking was $309. We wanted the Marriott but assumed we'd get the airport Hilton (which was also 3 stars and also in zone 6) because the Hilton was cheaper (direct booking through Priceline at $239). To our surprise we got the Marriott after all. We were happy with the hotel and the location. Note that Priceline's zones for West Palm Beach are a little weird - if you want to be close to the downtown WPB action, you are actually best to bid on the "airport" zone which is zone 6.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Congratulations on your success!

Glad to see you were pleasantly surprised and received the hotel you were hoping for (yet has resolved that you would likely receive some other property).

Thank you for sharing your previous win with the board.

If you haven't yet, please read your messages and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your future travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Am I right, moderators? (I am bidding this zone shortly.)

Not really sure what you're asking here but yes, the OP could have received any 3* hotel (or higher) in the zone.

If/when you're ready to bid for, or to report a win for, your own trip feel free to start a NEW TOPIC.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Thanks.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Toledo's posts made me realize that I probably should have given some further info in my original post.

1. I was making a same-day bid at (9:00 am on the day of intended check-in).

2. It was Saturday night.

3. There was a major sporting event (PGA Tour - Honda Classic) in West Palm Beach at that time, and typically the commercial effects of a golf tournament like that will reach their peak on Saturday night (the last night before the final round on Sunday). True to form, we were out in downtown West Palm on Saturday night and it was packed with golf fans.

4. There are only a few 3 star hotels in zone 6 (PBI) to begin with, and the only 3 star direct booking (List View) options on PRICELINE that morning were the Marriott (which we won) and the Hilton Garden Inn. Both of those hotels would have been fine with us and both had a direct booking price well in excess of our final $200 bid.

5. At the end of the day, we made the bid knowing that we could get assigned to any known or unknown 3 start hotel in zone 6, and really we were fine with that (even if it ended up being the Marriott Courtyard).

I knew when I reported this win that in some ways a $200 figure might not be thought of as much of a win (as proven by Toledo's much more impressive figures from December), but I tend to look at things in a positive light - it was $109 less than PRICELINE's direct booking price, and that was a good 20% less than Marriott's own price. So in the end, we saved a bit of money, but not nearly as much as you normally can save through the rebidding process. I'm not sure how much value it will have for future bidders because of the Saturday night/PGA Honda Classic factor.

Thanks for the additional information.

As we often state on the board, rates are date specific... what may seem like a bad deal for one day may be a good deal for another day given the circumstances.

Ultimately glad to hear it worked well for your needs and you received what appears to be the best 3* option in the zone.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]