Priceline Hotel: 4* New Orleans (French Quarter) Marriott New Orleans

nycmb404
By nycmb404,
in

I have been tasked with planning a friend's bachelor party in New Orleans. We expect to have between 6 and 8 people and it is 5/31-6/3 (3 nights). I know Priceline is not ideal for this kind of situation given that we could end up with 1 bed in each room (ideally we would have 3 or 4 rooms with 2 beds in each room), but I thought if I could get a $100 or less (ideally $75 or less, unless that's unrealistic) 4* French Quarter win on Priceline, that would end up being cheaper than the hotels I'm seeing on conventional sites($200-340 for the ones I've looked at such as Royal Sonesta) so that it would be worth the risk. I thought even if I got 1 room per person (6-8 rooms) it would still be cheaper than splitting rooms at full price. Or maybe I'd bid for say 4 rooms and hope to get at least a few with 2 beds.

I wanted to get your advice on whether this could be worth pursuing, or if it is not worth the hassle. One concern is that it seems that I have to provide names for each room at the time of bidding. What if someone ends up not being able to make it? The rooms are non-transferable, correct? In that case, would I have any options?

Any thoughts would be appreciated, including a bidding strategy if you think it could work. We're only looking for 4* in FQ.

As always, thanks for your help.

thereuare, I saw your comment on an earlier post that HOTWIRE guarantees quad occupancy, which I did not realize. I thought if that's the case, I might as well check out what they have to offer (using link on this site).

Is the way to end up with 2 beds in each room to select 4 rooms/16 people (even though we wouldn't have 16 people?)

Also, do you know if HOTWIRE makes you list the name of a guest for each room? If not, this would be ideal, as plans might change such that we would want the room to be able to be used by someone else in our group.

PRICELINE asks for the names of each guest but you can use the same name for each room... HOTWIRE only asks for one name regardless of the number of rooms. In both instances the name that you list DOES need to be there at check-in. As long as you know at least one person who will definitely be there (the groom? best man? you?) then you should be OK in this regard.

Yes, you should search for quad occupancy per room so 4room/16people would be the way to search (also noting that the second 'bed' could be a pullout sofabed or rollaway brought into the room). You can also try using some children in the mix (ie- if only 8 adults use 8adults/8children since some hotels won't charge more when the 3rd/4th guest is a child).

One other option is PRICELINE EXPRESS which technically does only guarantee double occupancy, but many of their listings offer a 'Bed Choice' option where you can select the room type, and thus pick a room type that has two beds. While i suppose a hotel could take issue with quad occupancy per room when the room is only guaranteed for two guests, even though there are two beds in the room... but the fact that there are two beds in the room would greatly reduce the risk, imo.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Once your plans are firm and you have a head/room count, let us know how you'd like to proceed and we'll take it from there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Im in the same sitatuion. Im planing a bachelor party for about 12 of us. We are going May 10th-13th. Theres going to be 12 or 13 of us and Im planing on getting 3 or 4 rooms. I want to get a 4* downtown of french quarters (Want something rowdy but also safe). I would like to be on burboun st. Im also hoping to get 2 beds in each room. I will be sure to call the hotel right after my booking to request it. Keep me updated on what you do/get.

I heard the swamp tours are pretty cool and I believe you can drink on them:

http://www.louisianaswamp.com/

I was told frenchmen ? area is good for music so we are going to head there one night. Warehouse disctrict is also a pretty good time but I think it might be more of a locals area.

Thank you for the advice. I didn't realize I can list the same person for each room. In that case I'll just list the groom. He would only need to show ID and not present the credit card used to book, right? (I would put it on my card but will be arriving after everyone else).

So I think I'll do Priceline. In that case can you suggest a bidding strategy for 4* French quarter for these 3 nights. And whether you'd suggest just getting half the number of rooms (3-4) as expected people (6-8) and trying to contact hotel to get 2 beds, or just getting one per person.

I'm leaning toward something in the middle like 5 rooms. Since I have some time I don't mind starting at a low bid with little chance of success... $50?

So I think I'll do Priceline. In that case can you suggest a bidding strategy for 4* French quarter for these 3 nights. And whether you'd suggest just getting half the number of rooms (3-4) as expected people (6-8) and trying to contact hotel to get 2 beds, or just getting one per person.

Depends upon the needs/desire/budget of your group... is their own bed just a preference OR do they not willing to share a bed and require their own bed?

I'm leaning toward something in the middle like 5 rooms. Since I have some time I don't mind starting at a low bid with little chance of success... $50?

Why not firm up the number of people and rooms you need first before bidding... this way you're not later stuck with an extra room nor with too few rooms and trying to figure out how to get 'x' more at the same hotel?

While lowballing early on is a perfectly acceptable strategy, i would at least be realistic in your bids in order to make the bidding worthwhile... $50 is not realistic for a 4* hotel in the Quarter for these dates. You want to set your maximum bid near the low end of the reasonably expected range... not below the expected range. Using MAPS and HOTELS.com what is the best rate you're able to find for a 4* hotel located inside PRICELINE's French Quarter zone?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I have decided on 5 rooms for 7 people. So using the MAPS and HOTELS.com site, the best rate I see for those dates in PRICELINE's 4* French Quarter zone is the Omni Royal Orleans Hotel: $215 for a petite 1 Queen bed room and $233 for a deluxe queen bed. Also of note is $260 for 2 double beds.

Please let me know what you think would be a good bidding strategy.

Just noticed on Priceline though it says this:

Please enter the name of the persons who will be checking into the hotel. Each person shown below must present a valid photo ID and credit card at check-in. You must enter a different reservation name for each room.

I feel fairly comfortable that the 5 names I put down will be there, but ideally I'd put the same 2 people (groom/best man) for the 5 rooms.

When bidding for 4 rooms the message only states that the person whose name is on the reservation needs to be present at check-in... when bidding on 5+ rooms the message that each room must be in a different name is displayed.

What zone(s), star rating, and dates did you bid for? What is your maximum bid? Are you using re-bid zones?

That is interesting--I wonder why. Anyway, I bid for French Quarter, 4*. No rebid zones (I am not sure of how to do that). My max bid is probably $100. After that I might reevaluate and see what other options are out there. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Right now New Orleans has 5 free rebid zones at the 4* level. The big idea is to first bid the zone you want, and if that is not successful start adding zones that DO NOT have your star level (or higher) while increasing your bid. There is a lengthy discussion of the technique in the FAQs.

If you want to use the technique and still aren't sure, post back with your questions. If you think you have figured out the free rebid zones but aren't sure of those, post your list back and somebody will double check it.

Using the free rebid zones would let you do something like bid $60, 63, 65, 68, 70 and 73 all in one session on the same day.

Romelle

You are a quick study! Sometimes it takes people quite a while to get the free rebidding concept.

Do ALWAYS recheck the free zones just before bidding. They change. A new hotel can pop into some out-of-the-way area you thought was free, and - BINGO - you win it.

Now that you've gotten the basic idea, there is one more thing. You've got over 1 1/2 months. Presumably some sort of maximum budget. You don't want to just keep gradually increasing your bids - say 80 - 90 one day, and the next day 90 - 100 only to have some hotel give Priceline a room at 85 on the second day. On that second day, your opening 90 bid will win, but it will be at a $5 overpayment.

So you want to sort of "re-sweep" the area with a range of bids. For my example, 80 - 84 - 88 - 92 - 95 - 98 - 100. By bidding this both days, on the second day you'd hook the hotel at 88 instead of 90. Not much of a savings, but just an example.

You actually are still probably pretty low. I checked Hotwire, and for your dates a 4* French Quarter is $163 and a 3* is $123. Priceline can be somewhat less than Hotwire, but not necessarily. But by all means, keep working through the lower levels first. I always seem to have to prove it to myself there really isn't something out there.

Romelle

I'll add that when searching HOTWIRE for 5rooms/10adults/10children the price remains the same (within a few dollars) as when searching for just 5rooms/10adults (but the former provides up to quad occupancy per room which should ensure sleeping for up to four per room) so maybe this is an option and only get 3 or 4 rooms to be able increase the budget per room per nite? (NOTE: although quad occupancy often means two beds in the room the second 'bed' could be a pullout sofabed, rollaway brought into the room, etc)

The 4* i'm seeing has the following amenities:

Smoke Free

Fitness

Pool

Restaurant

Business

Laundry

Blind Accessible

Deaf Accessible

Travel Accessible

Room Accessible

Bathroom Accessible

Handicapped Parking

Roll-in Shower

... my guess for this property would be the Astor Crowne Plaza, although i'll put a second guess at the Hyatt French Quarter.

Let us know your thoughts and how you'd like to proceed and we'll take it from there.

Congratulations on your success!

Glad to see you were successful and at a price even lower then you had already bid... how many rooms did you bid for?

Thank you for sharing your win and using the PRICELINE links on the board to begin your bidding.

Enjoy your stay... good luck with the room assignment/request.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]