Priceline Hotel: Need help bidding on Priceline

marta323
By marta323,
in

Hi there. Wondering if anyone can give me any tips for bidding on a hotel room in Clearwater Florida. I have been bidding for over a week with no luck. Looking to stay walking distance to the beach..So only checking off one area. The highest bid for 3 star I have bid so far is $117-Median being $235. Highest for 3.5star was $125-Median being $303. Any tips/advice? Have booked quite a few times and payed 60% or even less off median. Not working this time? Thx

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Please start by reading your messages and clicking each of these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links... then reply to this thread and we'll have a look at your post above.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Have booked quite a few times and payed 60% or even less off median.

The median rate typically shown by PRICELINE is not that accurate and i wouldn't use this information to base a bidding strategy or limit. Regardless, this is Spring Break season for many colleges and demand (and therefore rates) are likely higher then usual. When you've won at 60% off retail rates in the past what were the suggested rates and what was your winning bids amounts... were the retail rates starting in the mid-$200's and your winning bids over $100?

Using MAPS and HOTELS.com what is the best rate you're able to find thru conventional booking channels at an acceptable 3* or better in this zone?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

There is a 3star at 235. 3.5star at $303. 4star $288-$399.

Thats what I am assuming-that because of Spring break prices are higher.

Example-last year for our March Break we booked the Hilton resort in Orlando for $83/night-and it was low-mid 200's using priceline. Many hotels in Buffalo for 45-70 a night for a 4star. We also booked a 3.5 star condo resort in Orlando in march this year for $53/night.

You can't take the percent discount received in one area for a given stay and apply it to the discount you expect in a different area and for an entirely different set of dates, each hotel market is unique and may offer deeper (or shallower) discounts then some other area. For example, in Orlando there are LOTS of hotels and competition is very strong, so hotels may be willing to discount more then, for example in rural areas where there is much less competition and hotels don't need to discount as heavily as there are few hotel options available.

As well, when hotel prices go up there is more margin for the hotel, but they may actually be willing to discount less in such situations. The higher prices indicate strong demand and hotels may be able to sell most of their rooms on their own, so there is little reason to offer deeply discounted inventory to the opaque suppliers, and what they do offer, may not be discounted as deeply.

Given the prices you're seeing what would be your maximum bid for this stay? Are you set on this particular zone OR would you consider a different destination?

At current rates if only bidding the Clearwater Beach zone i would guess it might take something in the $175+ area to be successful, but i would of course start lower and work your way up using re-bid zones (if available)

What is your maximum bid for this trip? What about staying in a nearby zone or a different region entirely?

Just to let you know, it is Spring Training for the Phillies in Clearwater right now and the time you are requesting, also Spring break is getting ready to begin. That could be why you are having a hard time getting a cheap deal. Everything is booked solid for the most part. We have a hard time straight up booking this time of the year in Clearwater..

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]