Hotwire Hotel: 4* New York City (Midtown East) Roosevelt Hotel

Hakka
By Hakka,
in

Hello all,

I was hopping if you gusy can help by recommending a place.

I'm looking to spend around $250/night, so I found the following on hotwire that interested me:

4-star Hotel in Midtown East for $230/night

Fitness Center, Restaurant(s), Business Center, High-Speed Internet Access, Accessible for the blind, Accessible for the deaf, Accessible path of travel, In-room accessibility, Accessible bathroom and Roll-in Shower.

90% recommended in HW reviews

At first I thoght it might be the Intercontinental, but the lack of "Tennis" threw me off.

Anyways, since it's me and my gf's first trip to the big apple, we're not particularly picky on area, as long as it's close to a subway and are within walking distance to some of the place that most tourists and firs timers go.

anyone have any ideas? we are open to HW, priceline or even just booking hotels outright. Again, looking for 4* for $250/night or less.

My guess would be the Roosevelt. St Giles the Court is also showing regular rate for $246 on Expedia.

There's also a 4* on HOTWIRE in the Empire State Building zone with no amenities showing. Given that there are no amenities showing, it's difficult to begin to try to ID the property. However, if you click "see details" to go to the detail page and then scroll down, there's a 4.5/5 tripadvisor rating showing. You can also confirm that you are seeing this by clicking "see details" and scrolling down and looking for the tripadvisor logo and 4.5/5 circles shaded. A *guess* is that this could be the Kitano hiding amenities, but it may be something else entirely - either way, if you are also seeing a 4.5/5 tripadvisor rating, the mystery property certainly gets good reviews.

Please let us know if you have any questions before bidding/buying.

As for NYC in general, I'd suggest a mixture of famed sites and neighborhoods. While many famed NYC sites are well worth seeing (I particularly recommend the Intrepid Museum, which is certainly a very unique experience) and neighborhoods. Part of the fun of NYC is really exploring neighborhoods and finding great NYC-specific stores and restaurants.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE, Expedia or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the response and sorry for the delay.

I saw that 4* in ESB but I don't believe it to be the Kitano. The reason is because Kitano is showing 4 out 5 while this is still showing 4.5/5. Could it be the Affinia Shelburne instead? The rate, location and TA rating seems to match, but I haven't seen it won previously before. I guess no one has rolled the dice on it yet. I just might, but I think I'm going to try to PRICELINE it using using a rebidding strategy first.

And I missed that price on St.Giles Court when I checked Expedia the next day after your response :(

As usual, I will continue to use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links here.

So a couple of days ago I decided to bid 4* in the following zones on Priceline: MTE, MTW, TS, CSP, ESB

Did the whole rebidding strategy from 125 all the way up to 210. Literally wasted about an hour of my time to do this

Then yesterday, I noticed that the 4* MTE lowered its price on both Hotwire and Priceline Express to $209 from a previous $225ish. Based on previous history, I think everyone here knew it was the Roosevelt. The reviews weren't favourable so I decided to hold off. After searching far and wide, I noticed that even 3* cost more than 209 during this time in the same zones.

So this morning, knowing that I would at the very least get the Roosevelt for 209, I decided to try the same zones and bid the following: 170, 175, 180, 185, 190, 195 and then finally 199.

It accepted it at $199. I guess it came down to price since it would be at least $100 cheaper over a 5 day period versus other 3* hotels.

Btw, on TA, a staff member of Roosevelt actually admitted that their hotel is actually a 3* hotel and not a 4* hotel. But I already knew this when bidding on this and didn't want to risk including 3*'s in my bids.

rooseveltnyc, Guest Relations Manager at The Roosevelt Hotel, responded to this review

March 6, 2013

Thank you for your comments and review. Our deepest apologies that the Roosevelt did not meet your expectations. You are correct, we are not a 4 star hotel. We are actually 3 star AAA rated hotel. Many third party reservation web sites have their own "star ratings". AGain our apologies and thank you for your feedback.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]