Hotwire Hotel: 3* Victoria (Downtown) Harbour Towers Hotel and Suites

Queerasmoi
By Queerasmoi,
in

When did the "See hotels in this class" bit get added to Hotwire? I don't remember that being there the last time I made a purchase.

I have noticed in some cases it will list hotels that are not in that zone. For example if I search Feb 8-11 for Portland, OR, I get a 2.5* hotel for CAD63 (this isn't an actual trip I'm taking), and the mouse-over says:

Get hotels like:

- Red Lion Hotel - Portland CC

- Jupiter Hotel

- Park Lane Suites

- Comfort Inn Portland

- La Quinta Inn and Suites Portland NW

The very last one is definitely out of zone. So I wonder... if the list includes hotels not in the zone, does that mean they didn't have more than 5 matching hotels to list, so they had to toss in some neighbours? Is that a good sign that the hotel you get will definitively be one of the ones in the list?

Another example, same dates, Victoria BC. This is a trip I may actually be taking.

Now there is a $52/night 3* hotel in Downtown Victoria. *No list of amenities.* Mouseover lists the following five:

- Quality Inn Downtown Inner Harbour

- Best Western Plus Carlton Plaza

- Victoria Regent Waterfront

- Trutch Manor

- Gatsby Mansion Inn

In this case, all five *are* in zone, so it's possible that the winner could be something else.

Any thoughts on whether these mouseover lists can be relied on at all?

I searched February 8-11 for Victoria, BC.

There is a $52 CAD ($51 USD)/night 3* hotel in Downtown Victoria. Any thoughts on what it may be?

Amenities:

Free Internet

Indoor pool(s)

Smoke Free Rooms

Fitness Center

Pool(s)

Restaurant(s)

Business Center

Laundry Facilities (self-service)

High-Speed Internet Access

Accessible path of travel

In-room accessibility

Accessible bathroom

Handicapped parking

Roll-in shower

Mouseover "See hotels in this class" lists the following five:

- Quality Inn Downtown Inner Harbour

- Best Western Plus Carlton Plaza

- Victoria Regent Waterfront

- Trutch Manor

- Gatsby Mansion Inn

Four of those five, if those are what I get, would be acceptable. Trutch Manor is too far from where I'd like to be.

HOTWIRE has been making a few changes lately it looks like, and this appears to be new within the last few days. I'm only seeing this feature when the new presentation style comes up when searching on HOTWIRE. I definitely wouldn't rely on only getting the hotels in the list, as if there's one out of the zone, there still may be additional hotels in the zone that weren't included in the list - especially if there's a lot of properties at that level in the particular zone. I think these lists may be helpful, but not necessarily always reliable. For the listing without amenities, are you seeing any on the page when you click "see details"?

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

... I get a 2.5* hotel for CAD63...

Please change the drop down menu on the top right of HOTWIRE's page to United States and the currency dropdown to US Dollars. Then continue to search HOTWIRE and post to the board in US Dollars so that rates are consistent and not subject to interpretation due to future currency fluctuation. Once you're ready to purchase stay on the US version of their site and simply change the drop down menu to whatever currency you'd like to use and complete your purchase.

Thanks.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

The listing without amenities is the same as the other one now *with* amenities that got merged into my post.

The merging of my two posts in two separate forums is the only reason you are asking me anything about currency. I was never asking for assistance in Portland, just using it as an example. I am only asking for assistance in Victoria. Moreover, the merging has made it look to other users like post #1 was my request for purchasing assistance. The top post of this thread should be #2.

I disagree with the decision to merge these two posts because the one I placed in the general HOTWIRE forum was something of interest to all forum members, not just ones bidding in Canada. Everyone on this forum should be talking about the implications of being given a list of five possible matches, and I would like to be able to hear if people who complete a purchase actually get one on the list. Would it not make sense for that to be an open question across the board?

The merging of my two posts in two separate forums is the only reason you are asking me anything about currency.

No... i had replied to your previous thread (at 1:06pm EST) and then only later saw your other thread (which you started at 12:31pm EST)... when i merged the threads they have put in chronological order by time posted.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

There is a $52 CAD ($51 USD)/night 3* hotel in Downtown Victoria. Any thoughts on what it may be?

Amenities:

Free Internet

Indoor pool(s)

Smoke Free Rooms

Fitness Center

Pool(s)

Restaurant(s)

Business Center

Laundry Facilities (self-service)

High-Speed Internet Access

Accessible path of travel

In-room accessibility

Accessible bathroom

Handicapped parking

Roll-in shower

These amenities are common in the area but my best guess would be the Quality Inn Downtown Inner Harbor Victoria or the Harbour Towers Hotel and Suites... with an outside chance of the Chateau Victoria Hotel and Suites.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know how it goes or if we can be of further help.

Just wanted to comment, since you said "with an outside chance of the Chateau Victoria Hotel and Suites":

There is another listing that shows up for Downtown Victoria, same dates, at $59/night, 3.5*, and the Get a hotel like list is: Hotel Rialto, Chateau Victoria, Abigail's Hotel, Days Inn - Victoria on the Harbour, and Royal Scot. Amenities: Free parking, Pool, Restaurant, Business Center, HS Internet, Accessible path of travel, Handicapped parking.

This seems to imply Chateau Victoria is now considered 3.5*, not 3* (not that it guarantees CV is the hotel in question).

The Chateau Victoria was last reported to the board, and appears in the Hotwire Hotel List as a 3.5* property... i added the 'outside' chance above on the basis that it could have potentially been downgraded to the 3* level since last reported to the board.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

This hotel has gone up to US$54/night. I should also mention it states recommended in 85% of Hotwire reviews. Amenities have once again vanished but it appears to be the same hotel as the 85% was present the last time I saw the amenities there.

The "See hotels in this class" list has changed to: Best Western Plus Carlton Plaza, Trutch Manor, Harbour Towers, Huntingdon Hotel, and Fisher House B&B. (No mention anymore of Quality Inn, Victoria Regent or Gatsby Mansion.)

It looks like going back 3 years, the 3* wins for this zone have always been Harbour Towers or Quality Inn. Not that I can rely on that, but now that I am committed to my trip I figured I'd take the plunge.

Trip total comes out to 3x54 + 34.35 taxes/fees = US196.35 before clicking back to CAD.

And drumroll... It's Harbour Towers! Thanks again for the assistance.

Congratulations on your success!

Hope you're pleased with the hotel and deal you received and this property works well for the plans of your group this trip.

Thank you for sharing your win with the board.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]