Priceline Hotel: 4* Fort Lauderdale (Beach) B Ocean Fort Lauderdale

chas3
By chas3,
in

(Parts of this have been carried over and copied from my other thread)

This will be our first visit to Ft. Lauderdale and we are doing a cruise. I would like to use Priceline to bid on a hotel for 1 night after the cruise.

For the night we return from the cruise (Sun 3/17/2013) I would like to bid for a property in a location on/near the water (I'm guessing Priceline's Ft. Lauderdale Beach area #5). Since we will be spending the entire day there once we get off of the ship, I would like to have a nice hotel with a nice pool. If possible be near beachwalks, shopping, decent restaurants, etc.. I'd like to stay "around" $150 +or- a little, and I would like to be with 4-Star (unless you know of reasons that I should use 3-star?)

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and yes I will use this sites PRICELINE link.

Can you please follow-up your previous Priceline Miami thread with whatever you ended up doing for that trip.

Please remember to follow-up your threads with whatever you end up doing for the stay, even if you choose to book direct, cancel your trip, etc.

Then using MAPS and HOTELS.com, what is the best rate you're able to find for a 4* hotel in PRICELINE's Fort Lauderdale Beach zone? Is the Beach zone the only one that you're bidding?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

When bidding 4* in the Fort Lauderdale region you actually have FIVE re-bid zones... do you know how to identify these and are you using them all?

What is your maximum bid for this leg of your trip?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I was aware of other re-bid zones, but I get cold feet when I start bidding outside of my desired zone. I guess I'm afraid that even though the PRICELINE hotel list posted here doesn't show a 4* in an area that I'm adding to re-bid, one may have been recently added and I'll be the first one to find out. Just paranoid I guess.

Today I bid up to $160: Beach Zone 4* and then added airport north-still declined.

I'm not sure yet what my ceiling will be before I try another method or book direct with a "known" property. I'm going to take a break today and maybe throw a little more money at it tomorrow.

I guess I'm afraid that even though the PRICELINE hotel list posted here doesn't show a 4* in an area that I'm adding to re-bid, one may have been recently added and I'll be the first one to find out. Just paranoid I guess.

Not paranoid as if you use the hotel lists on the board to determine your re-bid zones you COULD very easily end up in a zone you didn't intend (see the comments at the top of the Priceline Hotel List that specifically state NOT to use the hotel lists to determine your re-bid zones.

The only method that should be used to determine your re-bid zones is outlined here: Priceline Re-Bidding Explained. Feel free to ask any questions regarding this methodology, and of course if you're still not comfortable using your re-bid zones then you shouldn't... you need to be comfortable with any of the bidding methods you choose to use.

Keep us update on your progress and let us know if we can be of further help along the way.

Thank you very much for setting me straight on that!! Apparently I forgot from before not to simply rely on the list posted here. I just did it the way it is properly explained and it makes a lot more sense-but for some reason I still get nervous adding zones that I don't want to be in.

Anyway, using the proper method I tried 2 more bids. I'm now up to $175, targeting the beach zone with a 4*, and still declined. I'm not sure if I should lower my bidding and settle for something in the downtown area, go south to Hollywood or what? If I knew the area I could make a better decision. Any words of wisdom?

On the Sunday morning that we get off of the ship we are not renting a car. Our plans are to explore Ft. Lauderdale a bit on foot and/or water taxi. Knowing it will be far too early to check into a hotel room we are hoping we can put our bags in secure lockup at the hotel we are using. Some of our plans are weather-dependant, and if it's real nice we may want to go to the beach or sit by the pool.

Our flight departs Monday morning at 9:50 from FLL.

Thanks for your continued help!

I would likely stay close to Downtown or even the airport (with a 10am flight... get to the airport 90 minutes beforehand(??) and you're looking at an early wake-up). By the time you disembark, gather your luggage, go thru customs, make your way to the hotel... it will be later then you think (10am... possibly closer to 11am?) and may be so tired from the cruise that you really just want a day to relax and re-coup before flying back home. It always looks good on paper, but often the reality of disembarkation day you often don't get too much done (at least i don't :P )

Rates in the beach area are not that much higher then you have already bid, but to book direct the rate is non-refundable (ie- the Hyatt Pier 66 at $179/nite).

I would book a fully refundable hotel Downtown or near the airport (like the Hyatt Place 17th St Convention Center for $149/nite (always double check during the check-out process, but currently this rate is fully refundable up until a few days before your stay... the cheaper $144/nite rate is non-refundable). There are restaurants nearby and this should at least serve as a back-up plan... then you can continue to try PRICELINE and HOTWIRE in the weeks ahead to see if opaque rates 'break' and you're able to get something for a similar price at the 4* level and/or in the Beach zone.

Bottomline is that i wouldn't be chasing this too much higher at this point in time 2 months ahead of your trip, but i would book a fully refundable back-up just to protect yourself from rates rising from here.

That's how i'd play it at least.. your thoughts?

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Thanks for the very solid advice!

I went ahead and booked the Hyatt Place 17th St. with a refundable rate. It actually looks like a decent property and I wouldn't be too heartbroken if we just end up staying there. I'll poke my head back here to use the PRICELINE link in a few weeks to see if prices have come down.

You also make a valid point about how we may feel the day we get off of the ship. From past cruises I can guarantee at least "bloated", however, this will be the first cruise where we have a drink package (pay one price and drink up), so maybe I should be looking for a property with a detox facility :wacko:

Anyway, thanks for your help and advice.

• 1 month later...

I have been trying on and off for a few weeks throwing bids up to $150 out there with no luck. Today I put in my first bid at $140, 4*, Ft Lauderdale Beach area, and it was accepted at the B Ocean Hotel. Reviews and location seem OK.

I'm cancelling the Hyatt. Thanks for your help (yes, I did use your PRICELINE links)

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]