Hotwire Hotel: 4* New York City (Midtown East) InterContinental The Barclay

travelgirl101
By travelgirl101,
in

I'm going to be in the NYC area Feb. 8th for a long weekend trip. I prefer to be in the midtown area, whether it be east or west. I'd like my max to be $125 if possible. My bids were rejected today. The bid history is below.

I get a little nervous bidding in areas I don't want with the higher star area. I worry that a hotel might have gotten bumped up a star and it just isn't advertised yet.

I'd appreciate any advice for successful bidding.

Rejected Bids:

4* Midtown East $90

4* Midtown East, Coney Island $95

4* Midtown East, Coney Island, Long Island City $100

4* Midtown East, Long Island City, Coney Island, Morningside Heights - Harlem $105

NYC Fashion Week is during this period, so rates are a little higher than normal for this time of year, but I think $125 is likely within reason (although it will likely take more towards the $120-125 area.) Are MTE/MTW the only acceptable zones? Additionally, what appears to be St Giles the Court is $113 on HOTWIRE (although that's a 3* on PRICELINE, but is a 4* on HOTWIRE.)

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

NYC Fashion Week is during this period, so rates are a little higher than normal for this time of year, but I think $125 is likely within reason (although it will likely take more towards the $120-125 area.) Are MTE/MTW the only acceptable zones? Additionally, what appears to be St Giles the Court is $113 on HOTWIRE (although that's a 3* on PRICELINE, but is a 4* on HOTWIRE.)

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Thanks, I didn't know it was during the same time as Fashion Week, so good to know why the prices are higher.

I'd like to stay in Midtown because I have friends staying at a another hotel in that area. I will keep trying and let you know how it goes. :)

Either one of these properties looks pretty good for $138 or $143. The only difference I see in the amenities is that the $143 hotel has "handicapped parking".

Hotwire has: 4* Midtown East $138

Amenities:

Fitness Center

Restaurant(s)

Business Center

High-Speed Internet Access

Accessible for the blind

Accessible for the deaf

Accessible path of travel

In-room accessibility

Accessible bathroom

Roll-in shower

Bathroom has a roll-in shower

or 4* Midtown East $143

Fitness Center

Restaurant(s)

Business Center

Accessible for the blind

Accessible for the deaf

In-room accessibility

Accessible bathroom

Handicapped parking

Roll-in shower

I get a little nervous bidding in areas I don't want with the higher star area. I worry that a hotel might have gotten bumped up a star and it just isn't advertised yet.

It sounds like you may be use the hotel lists in order to determine your re-bid zones but you should NOT be... only use the method as explained here: Priceline Re-Bidding Explained

Feel free to ask any questions you have in this regard.

I'm not seeing either of the hotels above when searching HOTWIRE for your dates... are you still seeing them both and please confirm that they are both in the MTE zone. Also, does HOTWIRE show a percent recommendation figure for either/both?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

The Roosevelt has previously been seen with this amenity set but i have reason to believe this may be some other property. I wouldn't exclude the Roosevelt from the possibilities, but i think the Alex Hotel is a possibility as well.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know how it goes or if we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I didn't purchase the hotwire hotel yet. I've decided to try bidding again. Originally I started using the strategy that Flying dutchmen used (below), but then I chickened out as the star ratings started going up. I'm adding Times Square to the area I'd like to stay, it's close enough to where I want to be.

Can you help with a new strategy? Thank you :)

Previous strategy:

4. Coney island has 1-2 stars

8. Long island city has 1-3 stars

9. Lower east side has 1-3 and a half stars

13. Morningside heights has 2-3 stars

14. Queensborough bridge has 2-3 stars

17. Upper east side has 2-3 stars

Sorry about the confusion. I would like to stay in the MTE, MTC or Times Square areas. I would like to stay around $120 - $125 if possible.

Here is my bid history from Sunday below. I've only bid that one time so far.

Rejected Bids:

4* Midtown East $90

4* Midtown East, Coney Island $95

4* Midtown East, Coney Island, Long Island City $100

4* Midtown East, Long Island City, Coney Island, Morningside Heights - Harlem $105

I would like to stay in the MTE, MTC or Times Square areas.

There is no MTC zone on PRICELINE... i assume you mean Midtown West?

I would like to stay around $120 - $125 if possible.

Should be do-able, but i'll also add that HOTWIRE has a 4* hotel in the ESB zone for $112/nite which i suspect is the St. Giles The Court (this property has not been won thru PRICELINE's 'Name Your Own Price' service since it changed hands from a W Hotel a few years ago). If this property/zone is acceptable you could lower your maximum bid to $110 and if rejected take this HOTWIRE ESB offer... or if not we can supply a strategy with the zones above up to $125.

Please confirm the zones and maximum bid and we'll advise accordingly.

Yes, it is Midtown West. It is Midtown Central on HOTWIRE, so I get them mixed up.

The $112 hotel was gone by the time I looked...so I did a little bidding for the room today and they were rejected. I had more re-bid zones but the site was being very slow and I didn't have much time. Ideally, I would like to stay under $125. But if the property is nice, I'll pay more.

The Rejected Bids and Zones on Jan. 9th:

4* Midtown East $90

4* Midtown East, Midtown West $95

4* Midtown East, Midtown West, Coney Island $100

4* Midtown East, Midtown West, Coney Island, Times Square $105

4* Midtown East, Midtown West, Coney Island, Times Square, Morningside Heights - Harlem $110

Thanks again! I am using the PRICELINE / HOTWIRE links. I hopes it shows up as so.

I booked the InterContinental The Barclay through hotwire for $142.00 a night. That hotel has some specials going on right now, but I haven't seen it anywhere for that low.

Amenities:

Fitness Center

Restaurant(s)

Business Center

Tennis Nearby

Accessible for the blind

Accessible for the deaf

In-room accessibility

Accessible bathroom

Handicapped parking

Roll-in shower

Thanks for your help better bidding! :)

Congratulations on your success!

Hope you're pleased with the outcome and this property works well for your plans this trip.

You're also near my often recommended Ess-A-Bagel (Third Ave at 51st St) which has one of the best bagels in the city, makes for a nice, and relatively inexpensive, breakfast among local NYers.

Thank you for sharing your results and using the HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your purchase.

Enjoy your stay.

• 1 month later...

I just returned from a fantastic stay at the InterContinental. I requested a room away from the elevators and I was given a nice corner room. They also gave me a free upgrade to a deluxe room.

I arrived on Friday afternoon just before the snow storm hit. Because the hotel is centrally located to so much, I had no problems getting around with the snow.

I went to the recommended Ess-A-Bagel two times! When I went in and saw a decent size line, I knew it had to be good.

I'll try to find this property again through betterbidding on a future trip to NYC. :D

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$10 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: SAVEMORE

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $100+ purchase... expires 05/19/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]