Priceline Hotel: Direct call to hotel proposition

tedted
By tedted,
in

I often travel to Phila and use PL or HW often. I truly enjoy the Loews in center city and thought I'd try something different that someone had suggested. I called the hotel directly (not the reservation 800 #) and asked for the front desk manager. I simply explained to her that I usually get low rates by using the bidding sites and asked her if she'd consider $100 per night for a three night weekend stay in Feb. (avg bids thru HW are $100) I told her how I enjoyed the Loews last time I was in town and had gotten it on HW. I also reminded her that they would save by not having to pay the fees to HW, etc. She was unmoved. She went on the quote me prices directly from the website w/ no discount whatsoever and maybe mentioned to keep an eye on HW. I thanked her and moved on.

Frankly, I was surprised that there was no give and take in the offer. I was supremely polite.

Thought I'd just pass on the info on the effort. Any suggestions for next time.

PRICELINE and HOTWIRE rates can vary considerably from day-to-day, and it's up to hotels whether or not to supply inventory to discount services on a particular date or date/s. Some hotels may be willing to negotiate some, but others definitely may not and it may depend on who you talk to. Although there have been a few reports (mostly in smaller/mid-sized markets) of hotels willing to match PRICELINE or HOTWIRE-like rates, it's unlikely at most hotels. If city hotels expect walk-ins or higher traffic, they may not be willing to discount. Overall, there's a lot of variables.

Thank you for the post on your experience.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]