Priceline Hotel: 4* New York City (Midtown West) The Mansfield Hotel

ms.sunburn
By ms.sunburn,
in

• 1 month later...

I've had pretty decent luck bidding on 4 star properties through Priceline until this one! While the hotel's location is wonderful, this is the worst room I've ever been given. The room is minuscule, it's noisy and it 's suffocatingly claustrophobic. There's a window that faces the wall and no natural light at all. I actually had a mini panic attack in my first half hour and wondered how I would manage for 3 days. I've adjusted and am hanging in there but I'd think twice about bidding on a 4 star in midtown west again. Thank God it's only a few days.

Even if you didn't ask at check-in, if upon seeing your room it was not satisfactory i would suggest going to the front desk and letting them know what you don't like about it (ie- very small, no sunlight, etc) and ask if there is anything better available... it might not even be an upgrade as often rooms (especially at hotels where the buildings are old and weren't build with the sam cookie-cutter format of most properties today) within the same room class can differ substantially.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

True that. You don't get what you don't ask for. I've done it at a few other hotels where I wasn't happy with the room I was given, but I guess I was tired and the front desk staff was so unfriendly I just didn't have the energy for a fight. Just letting others know what to expect if they happen to win this property. Good luck to them!

I had a similar experience with the W Hotel on Lexington Avenue a year ago. I survived it and wasn't really in the room all that much. Hotel rooms in New York can be extremely small, and with the layout of most New York hotels, some rooms face another building. I'd be wary about using any opaque booking services for any hotel in New York City, since I suspect hotels give the smallest rooms with no views to guests booking via an opaque booking website like HOTWIRE and PRICELINE.

I've had great luck using PRICELINE over the years. I totally disagree with you about "I suspect hotels give the smallest rooms with no views to guests booking via an opaque booking website like" since I regularly contact the hotel that I've booked through PRICELINE to arrange for various requests and have always been more than pleased with the room I've received. That being said, perhaps I'm more than accepting since I regularly win rooms in NYC for $75 to $90 in 4 or 5 star properties.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]