Hotwire Hotel: 4* Chicago (Magnificent Mile - River North) Hotel Sax

gallinaa
By gallinaa,
in

Hi Guys

My husband and I are looking to take a quick trip to Chicago from 11/14 - checking out on the 16th (may include 17th based on work schedule). I'd like something centrally located, as we won't have a car, to shopping, nightlife, and dining. We're looking for a safe area where we can walk easily and catch cabs if necessary.

I don't know a lot about what zone(s) to look in, but we're looking for about $100/night before taxes. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I've used the board and posted previously about wins in Washington DC and it was very helpful!

Thanks in advance

Allison

I'm seeing what appears to be the Swissotel for $117 on HOTWIRE, as well as what appears to be the Sax for $118, the Sutton or Raffaello for $119, what may be the Hilton Suites for $106 and what may be the Avenue for $112 and what I'm guessing may be the Inn of Chicago for $70. While these are generally over $100, if there's a particular hotel of interest, it may be worth considering HOTWIRE over PRICELINE. If any of these possibilities are of interest, let us know and we would be happy to point out which is which.

I'd generally recommend staying North of the river, especially in terms of nightlife and dining. In terms of bidding for a 4* in the River North/North Michigan Ave area on PRICELINE, I'd suggest $85 as a starting bid and moving higher by $5's using re-bidding. Or, let us know if one of the potential HOTWIRE hotels would be of interest.

Let us know if you have any questions before booking. Additionally, let us know if you have any city questions.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

AaronJB - thank you for the reply. I had a very rough week at work so far, and have some time off to book so I'm looking again. I really like the Sax hotel and know that since I've waited the prices that you saw probably aren't out there any longer. Would you be able to look again (I'm sorry because I don't know exactly what you were looking at to "know" which was which) and see if you still "see" what looks like the Sax still out there?

If I'm looking at PRICELINE and attempting to bid - with the $85 I'm looking at the River North/North Michigan area correct? Is this whole area considered "safe"? I always fear ending up in a bad area :)

Thank you again!

Sorry to hear about your week. :(

I'm seeing a 4* in the Mag Mile-RN area for 11/14-16 for $121 (the price you see may vary slightly) w/

Boutique Hotel

Smoke Free Rooms

Fitness Center

Restaurant(s)

Business Center

High-Speed Internet Access

Accessible for the blind

Accessible for the deaf

Accessible path of travel

In-room accessibility

Accessible bathroom

Handicapped parking

Roll-in shower

This amenity set has been seen with the Felix, Sax and Palomar, and be willing to accept any of the three. However, I am seeing a 4/5 tripadvisor rating on the detail page (click "see detail" to go to the detail page to confirm that you are seeing this as well, and scroll down halfway and you should see a tripadvisor rating with 4/5 circles shaded.) A 4/5 tripadvisor rating would make me lean towards this being the Sax, as Felix is 3.5/5 and Palomar is 4.5/5.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Yay - you are correct, it was the Sax and I got it for $121 from the 14th to the 16th. I tried to add another night but the price went up almost $100, so I'm looking to add another night in somewhere else.

Checking in on the 16th and out on the 17th I see a 4 star for $163 with: Fitness Center, Restaurant(s), Business Center, High-Speed Internet Access - in the same area. Recommended by 80%

and in the North Water Tower Area I see a 4 star for $149 with Smoke Free Rooms, Fitness Center, Restaurant(s), Business Center, High-Speed Internet Access - recommended by 70%. with a 3.5 out of 5 trip adviser rating. Are there any clues what either of these hotels could be?

Thank you so much again!

Allison

Congratulations on your success!

Glad to see you received the hotel you were hoping for and are pleased with the results.

As this thread now reflects your purchase of the Hotel Sax for 11/14-11/16, please start a NEW TOPIC for help with the balance of your trip.

Thank you for sharing your win with the board.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Enjoy this leg of your stay.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

This is a very nice deal for this property, which is next to the House of Blues (it was previously the House of Blues hotel.) This property is also in the River North area, which offers a wide variety of restaurant and nightlife options.

We'll take a look at options for the next date when you start a new thread, but a question: the Sax is at the bottom end of this zone. Would you like to try a hotel towards the top end of this zone? Both are nice areas. Are you going to museums, or primarily dining/nightlife/shopping?

I'm seeing a 3.5* in the Gold Coast - Lake Shore Drive area for $129 w/

Boutique Hotel

Fitness Center

Restaurant(s)

Business Center

High-Speed Internet Access

Golf Nearby

Tennis Nearby

Spa Services

Accessible for the blind

Accessible for the deaf

Accessible path of travel

In-room accessibility

Accessible bathroom

Handicapped parking

Roll-in shower

This would be a possible match for the Indigo. If the Indigo, not a 4*, but a nice property in the Gold Coast neighborhood. This is not as centrally located as the Sax in terms of the city as a whole, but it's a very nice area a couple minutes walk North of the top end of the Michigan Ave area. You can also walk (it's a moderate walk, but a nice walk) to Lincoln Park Zoo and the Old Town area.

This also keeps your per night average around $125ish.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]