Hotwire Hotel: March 31-April 5 - Chicago South Loop - suggestions welcomed

fredsanford
By fredsanford,
in

I am driving into Chicago with 2 teen daughters to see sights for spring break during this window. After stealthily researching, I would like to try to "win" the Chicago South Loop Hotel (size of room, location to public transit, and mainly free parking are primary considerations).

I would welcome any tips on bidding for this property. I have never bid on either PL or HW - although I do a lot of travel planning (cheap). I have read most tutorials, and have tried to familiarize myself adequately before posting.

I am looking for as inexpensive a property as possible, with free parking, with good access to public transit and safe for 3 females .... so, I'm not married to Chicago South Loop, and would welcome other suggestions - just found this one to have all criteria thus far. I could be outside downtown also, as long as parking is free and transit is readily available.

Thank you for not flaming the noob, and for any comments you might feel helpful to planning this trip! :-)

Welcome to Betterbidding. :)

The issue with the South Loop hotel is that there's really nothing around it - despite the name, it's a ways South of the Loop. The hotel does offer free parking (reviews on the hotel are mixed), but it's rather isolated and you will really have to rely heavily on public transit to get around (whereas downtown hotels will charge for parking, but you would be quite a bit less reliant on public transit.)

What would be your desired budget per night for this stay?

I see what appears to be the South Loop Hotel for $73 (the price you see may vary slightly) on HOTWIRE for these dates. I see what appears to be the W Lakeshore for $112 for the first three nights, and parking at nearby Navy Pier is $20-25. I also see what may be the Amalfi (which offers free breakfast) for $118 for the first three nights. The last couple nights on HOTWIRE are more expensive, but there's a 3* in the Mag Mile-River North area for $109. The Doubletree is also showing on the regular rate side of the service for $109 for the whole stay, and that's also down the street from Navy Pier.

The Palmer in the Loop is also showing for $99 on the regular rate side of HOTWIRE (or on Expedia) for these dates. The Grant Park garage is $25, and that's not far away. Expedia also has rooms at the Dewitt Place apartments for $113 - not sure about parking cost or other details at that property as I haven't stayed at one of the rental properties downtown, but that would be an apartment with a full kitchen in a terrific location right behind Water Tower. It does get excellent reviews on Tripadvisor (http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g35805-d982512-Reviews-DeWitt_Place-Chicago_Illinois.html)

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE, Expedia or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Given your parameters, definitely do not stay at the South Loop Hotel, dummy. (Oh, wait, it was Fred who called other people dummy. ;) ) Just don't.

To stay close to Loop/River North and public transportation, you'll have to budget for parking. Palmer (extremely well located)/Grant Park Garage wouldn't be a bad combination, if it's within your budget. As Aaron mentioned, what's your daily lodging/parking $ limit?

If you insist on free parking, there are B & B's that do offer that, but you'll probably pay about the same as hotel + parking garage. I'm guessing that the three of you will share a bedroom (or a suite). For example, House of Two Urns, a few blocks from the Division stop on the Blue Line, has their "Alcova" room, with two queens and a twin, for 135/night.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]