Priceline Hotel: bidding advice needed--Flagstaff, AZ

cared72000
By cared72000,
in

I am in the middle of letting a bid expire right now, I'll be trying again soon and wanted to get some opinions first...

We are staying in Flagstaff on 8/23/05 for one night--2 rooms. I would like to get the Radisson Woodlands or Embassy Suites (haven't seen anyone win this recently, but supposedly it is an option), at less than $65. (We currently have reservations at the Fairfield for the AARP rate of $67, so I'm basically trying to get close to that rate and upgrade the hotel).

Here's the question: Do I start bidding on a 3 star at around $52, then use my one free rebid by adding Bellmont and up it to $58? If they give me a rebid, should I lower my stars to a 2.5 and "settle" for amerisuites or residence inn? If there is a better way to do this, please let me know!

Thanks so much...

I'll go through savings barn when I make my next attempt and am actively telling everyone about this site where people are treated kindly and can ask questions without fear!!!

Thank you,

Carrie

There is also a Holiday Inn Express, last reported at 2.5* in this zone, so that too is a possibilty if you bid that quality level.

Is $58 your maximum bid because you want to beat the $67/nite rate net of fees?

I think i would first try $50 and $56 (on the re-bid)... i wouldn't yet try for 2.5* properties as there is no need to; you still have at least one, possibly 2 or 3 periods to try your 3* bids again, depending up until what point your back-up reservation is cancellable.

If you were willing to 'risk' another nite at the Radisson in Sedona there would be another way to bid it, but i don't know if that is a possibility for you or not.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes or if there are any other questions.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

We travel to Flagstaff several times a year and frankly the fairfield is a better hotel than the HI. I am not sure I would risk bidding that high for a 2.5* and get stuck with the HI (the amerisuites is not much better). Note that when I checked today the HI looks like it is sold out for your date so you may be safe (although we often see "sold out" hotels sold via PCLN).

Also, the Raddisson is enough of a better hotel than the fairfield and the 2.5* hotels I would spend a little more for it (or the Embassy Suites).

If it were me, I would bid $55 for a 3* and if rejected add bellemont and bid $65.

I would only bid 2.5* as a last minute bid if you fail for a 3*. For 2.5* bids below $50 I often use Sedona as a free rebid because I've never seen any 2.5* or higher property sold on PCLN that low.

I no longer bid 2* in FLG because of the possibility of receiving the "INN & SUITES" (it is too bad priceline has poisoned bidding in some cities and zones with misratings like this; the la quinta and fairfield used to come up very cheap in FLG at the 2* level but they are undercut by the inn & suites). For your date the Inn and Suites is listed as sold-out when I looked today so even bidding 2* may be safe for you.

As always, the usual caveats apply.

good luck!

Thank you both so much! I'm going to bid again tomorrow and I'll let you know what happens. My top dollar will be $65 if I stay in the 3* category, but if I drop to a 2.5* I'll probably drop my offer to $50 or so. Does that sound about right?

I haven't used priceline for about 4 years, and it is a whole new ball game (especially with sites like this to help)! It is nice to have just a basic idea of what to expect when you are bidding (i.e., knowing that your 3*hotel has a pool).

Thanks again,

Carrie

Okay, I just tried again. Bid $52 for Flagstaff, then added Bellmont for a free rebid and bid $58, no luck. I have one more try, so I think I'll start with 58, then up it to 65 (my absolute limit). If that's a no go, I'll lower to a 2.5*and also lower my bid--what do you think, to $45?

Thanks!

Carrie

Okay, I'm about to throw in the towel (I'll give it one more shot on Thursday), but I've already bid up to $65 for a 3* in Flagstaff, and up to $48 for a 2.5*. The closest I've gotten is an offer to accept my bid if I add $17 to the $65 offer, which is not going to happen. (I tried to add just $5 to see what would happen, but it wouldn't even accept that bid unless I changed something).

I'll post if I actually do win a bid, otherwise I'll be at the Fairfield!

Thanks!

Carrie

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]