Priceline Hotel: 4* Chicago North Shore (North Shore) Renaissance Chicago North Shore

cedarnouns
By cedarnouns,
in

I am traveling to chicago 9/27-9-30 for a concert at the charter one pavilion in northerly island. my boyfriend and I are from Buffalo and have never been to the area. After reading through these forums I am thinking of either NMA or millenium/loop. We are definitely wanting a 4*. are there any recommendations on where we should try to get our hotel at as far as nma vs. millenium? We are interested in museums, fine dining, water front bars/restaurants, shopping, and a little night life. I had no such luck on priceline last night, re-bid 5 zones and quit when it got up to 130 a night. I'm going to keep trying. I will keep updated on my wins. Thanks for any thoughts!

Welcome to Betterbidding.

Millennium-Loop-GP is closer to Northerly Island, but if you are going to the concert for one night, it becomes a matter of what you are doing for the remainder of your stay. The NMA-River North area has more in the way of restaurants and nightlife, but is further away from museums. The MP-Loop-GP area is closer to museums, but has less going on later at night. What would be your desired max budget per night?

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

I think you could maybe get a 3.5* in either zone for $120-130 (I'd start lower and work up to that point), but if $130 isn't accepted at the 3.5* level, I think you're probably not too far off - $140-145.

I think you're probably looking at $45-65 for a 3.5*/4* in the North Burbs (which are really nice), but it's a 35-42 minute Metra train (which are nicer than CTA trains) ride each way. If you are staying out very late, that becomes a bit of an issue in terms of the last Metra train goes out at 12:30a (or you could drive down, but parking is an issue.) The North suburban hotels do not charge for parking, though, vs hotels downtown charging $40-65 per night.

So you're likely looking at $130-140 + parking ($20-25 for city or $40-65 for hotel) downtown or $45-65 for a hotel in the suburbs and free parking, but then it's a matter of getting downtown and back, which becomes more of an issue if you are staying out very late.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

I'm not sure if AaronJB is referring to the 'Chicago North Shore' or 'Chicago Suburbs' region and i'm sure he'll clarify once he sees this thread, but you can see both of these regions (and the zones within them) by entering 'Chicago' in the search box on the top right of this page, then on the ensuing page look to the right and under the PRICELINE map, you'll see links to the other nearby regions. Clicking any of the regions there will bring up the zones for each of these areas.

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

North Suburbs:

PRICELINE:

Evanston-Skokie-Niles:

Pros: Closest to downtown. If you are able to get a hotel in the Evanston portion of this zone, Evanston is highly convenient in terms of offering easy access to both Metra and CTA, as well as a lot of shopping and restaurant options.

Cons: large, spread out area and one can wind up anywhere within it. There is an old Holiday Inn in this zone that does not get good reviews and needs some renovation. The Evanston hotels in this zone charge for parking. If winding up in Skokie, public transit to/from the hotel becomes longer and more complicated if you are out at night.

What appears to be the Holiday Inn (unfortunately) is showing on HOTWIRE for $89.

-------

North Shore zone (which is a seperate zone within the North shore region)

Pros: Nice area, lot of restaurants/shopping. Hotels should be within varying distance of a Metra, but worst case not too far a drive. Hotels in this zone should all offer free parking.

Cons: Somewhat further out. Some of the 3*'s are more inconveniently located. One of the 3.5*'s (Crowne Plaza Northbrook gets somewhat mixed reviews.

My guess is that a 4* in this zone can be had for $50-70. The known 4*'s (ones that have been reported to the board) are the Renaissance North Shore and the Westin North Shore. At the 3.5* level, you are likely looking at around $45-55.

-------

Deerfield zone

Pros: Very nice area, lots of restaurants/shopping. Hotels in this zone are all at least fairly close (a drive, but a short drive) from a Metra station. All offer free parking. While the Marriott has gotten a couple of mixed reviews, the known (ones that have been reported to the board) 3.5* properties in this zone are all (in my experience) quite nice - the Marriott Suites Deerfield (which I've liked in my stays there), the Hyatt (which I've liked but just finished a renovation in the last couple of months) and the Embassy Suites (which I think is a really nice Embassy Suites property.) The Chicago Botanic Garden (in a burb, despite the name) is nearby. Easy access to the expressway if you decide to drive down one or more days, although there is also a very pretty (although longer) non-expressway route downtown.

Cons: furthest out of the three zones.

My guess is that a 3.5* in this zone could likely be won for between $40-55, and a win towards the lower end of that range ($40-45) would not be unexpected.

On HOTWIRE, the North Shore and Deerfield zone areas on PRICELINE are combined (Northbrook-Glenview-Mt Prospect zone.)

Please let us know if you have any questions before bidding. Again, I think the suburbs are nice and provide a cheaper alternative during busy periods, but it's a trip in and if travelers do not mind a trip in (either a nice drive or a Metra trip that's long, but comfortable and provides a nice view of the area) it's worth considering to save money versus downtown.

wow, thank you so much for this information!! you guys have been an immensely huge help. we are starting to think the north suburbs are a good idea. i think it will open more opportunity for things we can afford to do. we have a car, and dont mind exploring new areas. we really also dont need to stay out super late in the city. id like to keep bidding on priceline. we would really like a 4* but will go down to a 3.5*. what zone would i bid in? you said North Shore and Deerfield zone areas on PRICELINE are combined (Northbrook-Glenview-Mt Prospect zone. so i am assuming those would be the zones? thanks again SO MUCH.

The area that makes up the North Shore and Deerfield zones on PRICELINE are combined into one zone on HOTWIRE (Northbrook-Glenview-Mt Prospect); on PRICELINE, North Shore and Deerfield are two separate zones.

Personally, if you are looking for nice but (by comparison) inexpensive (especially if you are not going to be in the room a lot), I'd suggest either:

* The 3.5* level in the Deerfield zone ("known" hotels in that zone at that level being the Hyatt, Marriott Suites Deerfield and Embassy Deerfield) and starting at $40 and moving up by $5's with each bid. Everyone's experience may differ, but I've stayed at all three (a couple of them more than once) and have been very pleased - although the I liked the Hyatt before and now it's been renovated this Summer.)

* The 4* level in the North Shore zone ("known" hotels in that zone/at that star rating being the Renaissance North Shore - which was renovated/redone last Summer - and the Westin North Shore. I'd start at $45 and move up by $5's. Both "known" possibilities are nice hotels.

It is a trip from the burbs to downtown, but the burbs are quite nice and I think for those who don't mind the trip - either driving or Metra train - the suburbs can result in significantly cheaper rates than downtown during busy periods.

Please ask any questions before bidding.

Decided we wanted the freedom to have more money to enjoy the city and all it has to offer by saving money on a hotel and staying in the burbs. Thank you to the members that helped! Would have never known what to do without your help! First tried 45$ and kept being told by priceline I was bidding way too low. Then added deerfield as the second rebid zone and bumped it up to 55 and won!

Congratulations on your success!

Glad to see you found a great deal and an affordable way to visit the Chicago area.

Thank you for sharing your win with the board.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Enjoy your stay.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Congrats on your success.

I think this is a terrific win, especially for the situation. This property (unless something has changed recently) offers a shuttle (although I *do* think it may not run past a certain hour so it may not work for the concert night, but it would work for the other dates) to the nearby train station.

Additionally, if you walk North of this property to Dundee, then East on Dundee over the expressway and over to the other side, a little bit further on the North side of the street you'll see Chicago Botanic Garden and gates - that is the walk-in entrance, and a way to get in without having to drive in and pay the $20 parking (there is no admission.) It's a slightly tough walk to get over there (not "official" sidewalks during part of it), but a fairly quick walk. Or, given that it's so close and on the way to the train the shuttle goes to, it could probably drop you off there - that would be easier.

As for the expressway, this property is right by the expressway, so when you exit the expressway, the hotel is a block and a half away - you definitely don't have to drive around looking for it.

Barnaby's Pizza is across the street - it's not the world's best pizza, but it's definitely good, and the place is an institution - it's been there for decades. If you need snacks/drinks for the time (to bring back to the hotel, take with during the day, etc), if you drive North on Skokie Blvd (which the hotel is on), you will pass Dundee and continue North, going under the expressway. After the point where you go under the expressway, you'll come out on the other side and see a mall with Petsmart and some other odds/ends. That mall has a Trader Joe's.

If you drive to the train, I would consider a different train station than the one that the shuttle will likely take you to, as it does not have much parking. I would go to Northbrook (station information: http://metrarail.com/metra/en/home/maps_schedules/metra_system_map/md-n/station.NBROOK.html) or Lake Cook (although Northbrook is closer and more convenient - http://metrarail.com/metra/en/home/maps_schedules/metra_system_map/md-n/station.LAKECOOKRD.html).

You could also drive to a CTA "L" station, but that's definitely more of a drive - although a scenic drive - let me know if that is of interest and I'd be happy to offer directions. You would have to drive S/SE to Wilmette, but that's not that bad of a drive, and you could pair it up with something like breakfast at Walker Brothers, which is another local institution. (http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/stPUOjka5zf-elMEmvOthQ?select=rhMJ2U0qzTQ94EaGeIv9zA#rhMJ2U0qzTQ94EaGeIv9zA)

There is also a scenic route downtown if you wanted to wind along/near the lake - that's mostly straightforward, although gets a little twist/and/turn around Evanston. Eventually that route gets to Lake Shore Drive.

I think you definitely got a good deal, but as the suburbs go, the location of the Renaissance also works better than a number of other possibilities. Please let us know if you have any questions *at all* about the area - restaurants, shopping (there's a lot of both within a drive - in terms of restaurants, let us know what you are looking for in terms of style, etc). There is not much directly around the Renaissance, but there's a lot within a very short-to-moderate drive.

Enjoy your stay.

• 3 weeks later...

After winning 4* Renaissance hotel in Northshore a couple weeks ago for 9/27-9/30 (thanks to all the help I got from members in this forum and of course starting my bidding through the PRICELINE link on this board) I've had some time to be getting super excited for the trip! We are staying in the the north suburbs and plan on going to the Botanical Gardens which is a short walk from our hotel, and we are seeing a show at the charter one pavillion at northerly island. What else should I make sure not to miss while in Chicago? I know that's a pretty broad question. Any bars or restaurants that we shouldn't miss out on? I am also interested in any kind of restaurants or bars by the water. We plan on going into the city daily and spending our time there however would like to experience closer to where we are staying a little bit too. Thanks for any feedback!!

I'd see if the hotel shuttle can take you over to the Botanic - if not, I don't think it's a bad walk (although there may not be "official" sidewalk during a short patch of it) at all, and I think it's worth not driving there to save the $20 parking fee (there is no admission.)

The Botanic is actually quite large, and there are multiple gardens, as well as indoor gardens in a few different buildings (2.5 million plants, 25 display gardens, and four natural areas). There is also a really nice cafe where you can look out at the gardens while having a bite to eat. They often have events, such as cooking demos and flower shows.

The wikipedia page for the Botanic actually provides a really great overview for the place - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_Botanic_Garden (and it offers details about all of the exhibits.)

There are already some Fall colors showing, and the Botanic is really beautiful during that time period.

There are plenty of locations from John Hughes movies ("Ferris", "Home Alone" and some others) near or not far from your hotel. The Ravinia Outdoor Music Festival, which is one of the oldest and most famous outdoor music festivals in the US, is also a couple of minutes from the hotel, but unfortunately the season is over in early September.

There's a great deal of restaurants and shopping nearby - let us know what you are looking for in terms of atmosphere, etc and we would be happy to offer suggestions. There are a number of local institutions, such as Hackney's - mentioned above - and Walker Brothers Pancakes (several locations, although the one in Wilmette is arguably the most popular)

Michigan Ave. downtown is arguably the most popular shopping destination, but if you head North of the city, however, if you head North of the city around Belmont, there are a lot of very nice thrift/boutique stores where you can possibly find some gems. There is a walking path that I like that wanders from this area down through the zoo and eventually to Michigan Ave, but it's a very, very long walk. The Lincoln Park/Lakeview area has a wide variety of shops and restaurants, and is very 20/30-something.

If you are planning on visiting museums, I like the Field, Shedd and the Art Institute, but I'd avoid the Adler Planetarium.

There aren't any restaurants by the water in the suburbs - there are homes up against the water or beachfront for the entire suburbs. Plaza Del Lago in Wilmette is a mall with a restaurant and you could grab a bite to eat and sit by the harbor down the road a bit, and the famed Bahai Temple (which is architecturally beautiful - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Willmette_how.jpg is right nearby.

Next town South of Wilmette is Evanston, which is a college town (Northwestern) and it has both CTA and Metra stations. Wilmette also has CTA and Metra stations, as well.

There are a number of restaurants on the river downtown, such as Fulton's. There's really nothing on the lake, aside from Navy Pier, but I'm not a real fan of Navy Pier - I think there are better places to spend your time in the city.

In terms of restaurants - what are some likes/dislikes? What are you looking for in terms of atmosphere?

After replying, this thread will be merged with the Renaissance thread.

That is so cool about the John Hughes movies! What is near is in regards to those films? Thank you for letting us know what art museum to check out.. we would like to do that. I am also into thrifty/boutiques (like SoHo NYC)so we would be into anything with that feel. We're into exploring the artsy/cultural parts of the city. As far as good we are into ethnic (Thai, Japanese, Mexican) and would like to find some good seafood and/or a good steakhouse (in the city). I'm also doing weigh watchers, so we want to steer clear of pastas, and enjoy healthy eating (which is why I am looking for some good seafood). How long is that walk from the belmont to the zoo? We would not be opposed to wearing our walking shoes and getting some exercise in.

Thank you for more details about what you are looking for; that definitely helps in terms of coming together with recommendations. I'll definitely pull together a detailed list of some recommendations/directions (including more about the Belmont walk mentioned) and post in this thread later today.

In the meantime, in terms of John Hughes, the high school from "Ferris" is nearby, as well as Cameron's House from "Ferris", the house from "Home Alone", "Ferris" odds and ends, scenes from "Uncle Buck", various scenes from "Home Alone" and "Sixteen Candles". "Risky Business" was filmed partly nearby. "Breakfast Club" was filmed nearby, as well. "Dirty Jobs" filmed at the Botanic Garden a year or so ago ("Doomsday Seed Banker" episode.)

Glen's Diner, steps away from the Brown Line Montrose stop has quite an extensive seafood menu. They always have about 20 choices printed on two walls, and have a special with salad, chowder, choice of fish for around $16. As far as steak goes, there are plenty of great places, and the only time we actually went to one, was Gene and Georgettis. Always busy and great steak and Italian food. Joe's Stone Crab is a great steak and seafood place, but most people don't know they serve some pretty darn good fried chicken. We usually split a salad and get the fried chicken. 4 big pieces...all white meat for an extra $5.

We'll be headed to Chicago this Wednesday...looking for the Chicago hot dogs and Italian beef...Al's or Luke's maybe. Also looking for decent...not deep dish...pizza in the little Italy area.

The Belmont/Lincoln Park walk is definitely a long walk that takes much of a day - it winds all the way from Belmont/Lakeview through much of Lincoln Park, through the Zoo, by Old Town and then eventually to the Gold Coast and Michigan Ave area.

Pre-note:

The Renaissance has a shuttle, although I'm not sure hours. If you need to leave earlier or come back later, you may want to drive to a Metra station. There are actually two Metra lines that run not far from the Renaissance. The shuttle goes to one of them, you would have to drive to the other. Both lines end at the same place, essentially - one at Ogilvie, the other at Union, both of which are next to each other dowtnown. However, they are two different lines that provide a very different view of the surrounding area (different journey, more or less same destination.)

There are CTA stations in Wilmette and Evanston. In Evanston, there is a parking lot down the street from the Davis St Metra and CTA stations (I haven't parked there, but it's

So, your options to get downtown:

1. Shuttle to Metra, then Metra downtown.

2. Shuttle to Metra, get off in Evanston, take the CTA to Belmont and then either walk or take public transit the remainder of the way downtown. One big note re: CTA is that during the morning and evening rush, there are Evanston Express trains. These trains make all the stops in Evanston before proceeding non-stop until they get to Belmont.

3. Drive to Wilmette or Davis CTA stations, then take CTA. Would be an idea if you wanted to leave early or come back later than the hotel shuttle.

4. Drive to Metra stations, such as the Northbrook (http://metrarail.com/metra/en/home/maps_schedules/metra_system_map/md-n/station.NBROOK.html) or Lake Cook (http://metrarail.com/metra/en/home/maps_schedules/metra_system_map/md-n/station.LAKECOOKRD.html) stations, then Metra in. You will have to pay a small fee to park at any of the suburban stations. Would be an idea if you wanted to leave early or come back later than the hotel shuttle.

Part two (taken from another thread)

To get to Belmont from Downtown:

Take the Red Line Northbound from downtown. This will be a bit of a trip, but not terrible. You'll eventually go from underground to above ground just North of downtown. Not too long after you'll get off at Belmont. Head East on Belmont towards the lake. Continue East on Belmont until you reach Belmont and Broadway, then head South on Broadway. Broadway eventually merges with Clark, then continue South on Clark to Fullerton/Clark. At that point, head East on Fullerton briefly until you reach Fullerton and Stockton. At that point, you'll see a very large, glassy building on the North side of the street (Fullerton) with a pond next to it. That is the Peggy Notabert Nature Center.

The Nature Center does charge admission and much of it is geared towards younger audiences, but there is a beautiful live butterfly exhibit. Back to the corner of Stockton and Fullerton: head slightly South on Stockton and, on the left side, you'll see the North entrance of the zoo (free) and next to it, the conservatory (a separate building next to the entrance with beautiful plant/flower exhibits - free.) Go through the Zoo heading South towards the Farm in the Zoo (the South end of the zoo). Once you work down to Farm in the Zoo, head West into the Park area and you'll soon reach Clark Ave, which runs alongside the park. Walk South on Clark to Clark and North. Once you reach that point, the Chicago History Museum is right there. Additionally, if you walk a few blocks West on North, you'll reach North and Wells, which is Old Town. Old Town has both the famed Second City and one of my favorite stores in the city, the Spice House (http://www.thespicehouse.com/info/stores.html), which is a husband and wife-run herb/spice store (with blends named after local areas) that is where many top chefs in the city shop.

Back to the corner of North and Clark. Head South on Clark until you reach Clark and Division. There is a Red Line subway stop at this corner.

Otherwise, once you have reached this point you are practically back to downtown. This is the Gold Coast neighborhood, which has a lot of restaurants/nightlife.

If you want to keep going (and again, at this point, Michigan Ave is only a few minutes away), walk East on Division until you get to Lake Shore Drive, then South and Lake Shore becomes Michigan Ave. and you're right at the Michigan Ave. shopping area. From that point, you can either head back to the nearest subway or stroll through the Michigan Ave area.

This is definitely a long walk, but it provides a look at the Lakeview, Lincoln Park and Old Town neighborhoods, as well as the Zoo (which is great + free) and winds up back at the Michigan Ave. area (or you can take the "L" back from the Gold Coast nearby.)

The stretch between the Belmont "L" and the Zoo is definitely more neighborhoods - they are very nice areas, but certainly different than downtown in terms of having much more local stores (there are a lot of hip/trendy thrift stores and other boutique-y local stores and things like Reckless Records (3126 North Broadway) which is an incredible used music store. Michigan Ave and downtown in general is largely larger chains in terms of shopping.

The other thing I'd recommend is Green City Market, a very large organic farmer's market that takes place in the park, near the Farm in the Zoo, on WED/SAT. (http://www.greencitymarket.org/about/market-location-and-hours.asp) That also offers things like cooking demonstrations and even if you don't get anything, is a fun stop to browse around. The demonstrations are often by some very big name local chefs.

It's takeout only, but for Chinese I like Hunan Pearl in Ravinia, which isn't terribly far from your hotel. Take Skokie Blvd North to Lake Cook, then Lake Cook East to Green Bay, Green Bay North to Roger Williams and Roger Williams East into the small downtown Ravinia area. Billy Corgan (lead singer of Smashing Pumpkins) just opened a tea place, Madame Zuzu's, a couple of doors down. Pearl offers really good takeout (dazzling in general, no, but as takeout goes, I think it's consistently very good and reasonable.)

A really fascinating experience is Super H-Mart, which is an enormous Korean supermarket just South of Glenview, which is not a horrible drive from your hotel. You can read reviews here - http://www.yelp.com/biz/super-h-mart-niles. There is a mini-mall of various merchants within the supermarket, as well as a really good food court (http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/super-h-mart-niles?select=41yam1Gmf1ypJNhpMYc0UQ#HkPRYBidMIsVRrcuu18m3A) You can see a brief clip about the Highwood location from "Check, Please", which is a very popular local restaurant show on PBS (http://www.wttw.com/main.taf?cp.id=378&cp.submit.restaurantDetail=1&erube_fh=cp)

La Cassa De Issac (http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/PJE_qUZiwkcT_uC41d8uiQ?select=XRCOTeOEyoPdoknWKuLE5Q#XRCOTeOEyoPdoknWKuLE5Q) is an excellent Mexican restaurant in Highwood, which is a bit of a drive NW of your hotel.) They also have a larger sister restaurant in Highland Park (http://www.yelp.com/biz/isaac-and-moishe-restaurant-highland-park) and a grocery in Highwood (http://www.yelp.com/biz/isaac-and-moishes-deli-fruits-and-vegetables-highwood) You can find more about the restaurants (which are kosher) here: http://www.lacasadeisaac.com/about-us

Highland Park and its sub-communities Ravinia and Highwood actually have a wealth of good/great dining options from Bluegrass (good pulled pork sandwich - http://www.yelp.com/biz/bluegrass-highland-park and more reviews on tripadvisor; http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g36129-d639292-Reviews-Bluegrass-Highland_Park_Illinois.html) to Abigails (http://www.yelp.com/biz/abigails-american-bistro-highland-park) to Local Institution (with a capital L and I), Once Upon a Bagel (http://www.yelp.com/biz/once-upon-a-bagel-highland-park)

Avli Estiatorio in Winnetka is a good Greek option in a very nice setting (http://avli.us/). There are a LOT of restaurants up and down the North Shore area where your hotel is located. Avli is also down the street from the real estate office where Ferris' mother worked in "Bueller". Evanston, which is the last suburb before the border of the city of Chicago, has a ton of great restaurants. Little Lan's (http://www.yelp.com/biz/little-lans-winnetka) is a few doors down and is a good - although a tad pricey - Chinese place.

A fun oddity in Evanston is Dave's Rock Shop, which is on Main, by the "L". It is a rather insane shop full of various gemstones, jewelry, fossils and other remarkable artifacts - they are currently selling a dinosaur egg nest on their website. Their stuff is beautiful, and - although I haven't been there in a while - I'm pretty sure they still have a small museum of fossil finds in the basement of the store. (http://www.yelp.com/biz/daves-down-to-earth-rock-shop-evanston)

In terms of steak, there are a number of options, although the Ruths Chris Steak House at your hotel actually gets very good reviews (http://www.yelp.com/biz/ruths-chris-steak-house-northbrook). The new restaurant at the Renaissance, Pancetta, looks pretty good. The Renaissance was renovated last year.

Downtown

Uno's, Due's, Giordano's, Lou Malnati's are arguably the most popular places for pizza downtown, but I recommend La Madia in River North (http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/la-madia-chicago?select=I9hSinsd3G3xs4Q30Z09eQ#I9hSinsd3G3xs4Q30Z09eQ)

Pittsfield Cafe (in the Pittsfield Building) 55 E Washington is an old-school spot for breakfast, or Lou Mitchell's in the West Loop (which is quite famed), but the latter only takes cash.

A unique option is the dining room at Kendall College, which offers high-end dining at more reasonable prices, as the Dining Room is a training ground at Kendall, which is one of the more highly regarded culinary colleges in the US. (http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/kendall-college-the-dining-room-chicago?select=SuTku37GItcvxKzj8vCnmw#wBoWiRxpr9IOfgVbRP6J_g)

I'll continue writing on the above soon, but did want to share a Groupon for Ragstock (50% off) - Ragstock is a trendy thrift store on Belmont right by the CTA station. (http://www.groupon.com/deals/ragstock-chicago-1?c=all&p=9)

The newer Rick Bayless offering Xoco, is a great, more casual place and a good way to sample a Bayless restaurant without the longer waits and higher prices of the famed Frontera Grill nearby.

The Purple Big is reasonable at 500 N Michigan and Green Door Tavern at 678 N Orleans is a unique place for a drink - it was originally built in the 1800's. Le Colonial at 937 N Rush is kinda pricey, but it's a very nice French/Vietnamese restaurant with a great atmosphere (you may want to call ahead.) Bánh Mì & Co is a very good Vietnamese restaurant on Broadway (along the walking around discussed above) that's definitely much more casual but is much more reasonable. I've also heard very good things on Native Foods Cafe (1023 W Belmont), which is Vegan. There are amazing restaurants downtown in River North and other areas surrounding Michigan Ave, but you are going to find more in the way of good, quick and (by comparison) reasonable options Lincoln Park and Lakeview. You could also take a water taxi down to Chinatown, although that's only available on weekends (http://www.chicagowatertaxi.com/SitePages/Chinatown.aspx)

Bin 36 is a very pretty wine bar next to the House of Blues in River North - I wouldn't go there to eat, but it's a nice place for a drink, and they are very knowledgeable; it's very much about educating on different kinds of wine.

It's not THE place to go for steaks - Gene and Georgetti, Keefers or Morton's would be priorities, but I've had good experiences at Wildfire, which is part of the Lettuce Entertain You company - a group of various boutique restaurants (some of which are single, some of which are chains, all different. Wildfire is a steak-and-potatoes place (they have great fresh cut fries) and while not high-end ("high middle?"), I've tried a few different Wildfire locations (there are probably 5-6) and I've found them to be consistently very good.

I've heard good things about Farmhouse and its cheese curds on 228 W Chicago.

There's also a deal for the Shedd Aquarium, as I've noted in this thread.

Overall, I think it's difficult to really begin to go over all of your dining options, but I think there's an insane amount of great restaurants downtown BUT you also happen to be in an area by your hotel where there are a lot of great restaurants within a reasonable distance and I'd recommend trying some of both - the hustle and bustle and energy of downtown dining is going to provide a different experience than eating somewhere in a quiet, quaint area like Abigail's in Ravinia (http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g36129-d1568810-Reviews-Abigail_s_American_Bistro-Highland_Park_Illinois.html), but both really have their positives.

Let me know if you have any questions.

That is so cool about the John Hughes movies! What is near is in regards to those films? Thank you for letting us know what art museum to check out.. we would like to do that. I am also into thrifty/boutiques (like SoHo NYC)so we would be into anything with that feel. We're into exploring the artsy/cultural parts of the city. As far as good we are into ethnic (Thai, Japanese, Mexican) and would like to find some good seafood and/or a good steakhouse (in the city). I'm also doing weigh watchers, so we want to steer clear of pastas, and enjoy healthy eating (which is why I am looking for some good seafood). How long is that walk from the belmont to the zoo? We would not be opposed to wearing our walking shoes and getting some exercise in.

If you like thrift stores and you're heading into Lincoln Park, go visit McShane's Exchange at 815 W. Armitage. It's off the Armitage stop on the Brown and Purple lines. I think it's the best thrift store ever -- they sell a lot of cheap stuff but also have good prices on designer consignment items. There's also a lot of boutique stores nearby in the rest of the neighborhood too.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]