Priceline Hotel: Need help!! New to bidding..Downtown Chicago

musicmaker1586
By musicmaker1586,
in

Ok I will be traveling to Chicago from 11/8/12-11/14/12. I will be staying in Merrillville for my buddy's wedding from the 8th till the 11th then taking the train to downtown. I have never been to Chicago and it is my and my girlfriend. We are 26 and will be doing a lot of exploring (food, clubing, and landmarks). I am a little confused on what the "express deals" are and how to do this bidding. In Merrillville we are looking at the Best Western (cheapest with free breakfast).

I need help with trying to find a place in the areas: (11/11/12-11/14/12)

Lincoln Park

Millennium Park, Loop & Grant Park Area

North Michigan Ave - River North Area

We are budgeting around $125 a night but would like to spend under $100 if possible. I was told the rates go down in the winter? Also at what point is the contract binding/ when will I know what hotel I got? I read about the difference using priceline and hotwire. We are not set on a particular hotel but will spend more to get a nice place.

Thanks in advance for the help!!

Welcome to BetterBidding!

I am a little confused on what the "express deals" are and how to do this bidding.

Both PRICELINE and HOTWIRE are 'opaque' services where you don't learn the name of the hotel until after your purchase. In the past, with PRICELINE you bid (ie- 'name your own price') for a hotel and see if they can find a hotel to accept that price... with HOTWIRE, the prices for a bunch of hotels in the area were shown and you could choose which one, if any, you wanted to purchase. PRICELINE now has a new product called 'Express Deals' which allows is similar to HOTWIRE, the price is shown, but not the name, and you can choose to purchase the hotel offered or not.

I need help with trying to find a place in the areas: (11/11/12-11/14/12)

Lincoln Park

Millennium Park, Loop & Grant Park Area

North Michigan Ave - River North Area

I think ideally you want to stay in the NMA-River North zone, if that is outside of your budget then you want to consider the Loop zone... AaronJB can comment further, but i don't think that the Lincoln Park zone is necessarily going to meet your goal of landmarks, restaurants, nightlife, etc.

We are budgeting around $125 a night but would like to spend under $100 if possible.

What is the minimum star rating you're willing to accept for this trip?

Also at what point is the contract binding/ when will I know what hotel I got?

Once you place your PRICELINE bid, if a hotel is willing to accept that price, your credit card is charged and you're told the name of the hotel and you're committed to the purchase. With HOTWIRE once you click the BUY button and are told the name of the hotel you're committed.

In Merrillville we are looking at the Best Western (cheapest with free breakfast).

We'll handle the details for this leg of your stay in your Hotwire Merrilville thread.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

The Lincoln Park area is a nice area and worth seeing (for the Zoo, a couple of museums and shopping/restaurant options), but there are few hotels there and it is not downtown - it's a North neighborhood. It's a nice walk from the bottom of that zone to the top end of the NMA area (although that's in the Summer/Spring/Fall - not quite as nice in November), but the top end of the Lincoln Park area really requires transit.) It's best to stay either in the River North-NMA or Millennium Park-Loop-GP area, and if you are looking for nightlife, it's best to stay in the former instead of the latter. It depends on which star rating you are looking for, but $125 definitely may be difficult for these dates.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Thanks guys. I didn't know if I had to have 3 places to bid on so that is why I chose the Lincoln Park area (would rather stay in the NMA area). I have looked at some hotels with 3 stars like the Central Loop Hotel (known as Club quarters as well?) which is "listed" for $150 a night so I would say a 3 star or better. We will both have a 3 day CTA pass so being close to public trans would be a plus as well. Let me know if you guys need anything else...

To confirm... you wanted to first try for a hotel in the NMA-River North zone up to your limit... OR were you looking at the NMA-River North and Loop zone?

Also, did you want to try for a 3.5* hotel first up to your limit OR is the goal the least expensive 3* or better for this trip?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know the above and we'll advise accordingly.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I'll also note that I'm now seeing what appears to be the Hotel Indigo for $129 for these dates. That property is not centrally located, it's in the Gold Coast area, which is a few minutes walk North of the top end of the NMA area. However, the Gold Coast area does offer a good deal of nightlife and a variety of restaurants - not as much as the Gold Coast area, but it's an easy subway trip a couple of stops South to that area. There's a subway station a couple blocks from the Indigo. Let us know if this is of interest and I'd be happy to note which listing on HOTWIRE I think it is.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]