Priceline Hotel: Boston 9/20-9/24 3-4 Star

Majikow
By Majikow,
in

My fiance and I will be going to Boston from Thurs 9/20 - Mon 9/24 and would like to stay somewhere close to downtown (Boston Common or Copley Square, or if anyone has recommendations, its our first Boston trip).

Prices all seem to be $250 - $400 for 3-4 star hotels in the area. I'd prefer to get under $200, and preferably under $150 if possible.

I clicked on the links for PRICELINE / HOTWIRE on the board.

Am I looking too early? Any chance prices will go down as we get closer?

Thanks!

Welcome to BetterBidding!

There is no telling if prices will come down, or move even higher, between now and your stay... but for more on this topic see the related 'Bid Early or Close to Arrival' in our PRICELINE FAQ.

I think part of the reason for high rates is that there is a convention taking place in the middle of your stay from 9/22-9/23 with an expected attendance of 10K, which is decent sized for Boston.

Beacon Hill, Boston Common, Copley Square and Quincy Market are all generally considered centrally located.

I do think you have a chance at a 4* hotel in one of these zone for ~$200/nite (if not then just another $10 or so would likely be enough)

Let us know if you're ready to begin bidding now, and confirm your zones and maximum bid, and we'll advise accordingly.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I started bidding last night with Copley Square at $100 up to $140 (eventually including Boston Common, Beacon Hill, and Brookline) for a 3.5 star. No luck.

Since it seems like hotels are pretty expensive, I'd consider a 3* so I don't have to spend over $200. Do you think there's any chance I can get a 3.5* for under $200? How about a 3* for less than $150?

Do you think there's any chance I can get a 3.5* for under $200?

Why bid up to $200 for a 3.5* if you haven't even bid this much yet for a 4*... seems to me that you have only gone as high as $140, correct? While i think a 4* at $200 or under may be tough, i would at least exhaust that possibility before bidding up to $200 for a 3.5*. I think your best chance for a 4* under $200/nite is if you include the Waterfront zone... this zone is do-able for the right price, but it is somewhat less convenient then the other more centrally located zones. It's about a 20 minute walk to Boston Common or you can take the Silver line which has a station right in front of the Westin and Seaport Hotels.

How about a 3* for less than $150?

Probably difficult, but let us know what star rating/zones you'd like to try first and we'll suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

The three zones I'd prefer to stay in (in order of preference, high to low) are Copley Sq, Boston Common, and Beacon Hill. Because prices are so high, I think I'd like to shoot for anything 3* and above just to save some money. Also, if there's a chance that I could save more than $25-50 per night, I would also consider the following zones: Harbor Front, Quincy Market, Brookline-Brighton, and Cambridge West or East.

Is there any chance that splitting my bid would help? We could also potentially stay out by the airport Thursday night since we're not getting in until 10:30 PM. Would we save a lot staying out there our first night?

Is there any chance that splitting my bid would help? We could also potentially stay out by the airport Thursday night since we're not getting in until 10:30 PM. Would we save a lot staying out there our first night?
This wouldn't likely help since the high demand from the conference, what is likely causing an increase in rates for these dates, takes place in the middle of your trip.

Also, if there's a chance that I could save more than $25-50 per night, I would also consider the following zones: Harbor Front, Quincy Market, Brookline-Brighton, and Cambridge West or East.

Can i ask how/why you determined these alternate zones? With some of these you run the risk of not being too close to a T station.

Can i ask how/why you determined these alternate zones? With some of these you run the risk of not being too close to a T station.

This is only my second trip to Boston, and on the first one I stayed with a friend and it was snowy so we didn't get out much. These areas (Copley, Boston Common and Beacon Hill) I chose because they appeared to be in or near downtown and the touristy stuff. We're also going to a Red Sox game on Friday 9/21, so we wouldn't mind be close to Fenway. If you have better suggestions, I'm all ears, because I'm not really familiar with Boston so I may be mistaken.

Thanks for all your help.

These areas (Copley, Boston Common and Beacon Hill) I chose because they appeared to be in or near downtown and the touristy stuff.

I would include Quincy Market in with this round of bidding as it's typically considered to be centrally located and works well for the average user. I would at least try these first... then investigate a Plan B.

We're also going to a Red Sox game on Friday 9/21, so we wouldn't mind be close to Fenway.

I wouldn't plan the location for a 4 day trip around the location for one event during the four days... when the location isn't that centrally located for most other activities.

Ultimately it's your trip so you'll need to determine if the zones/recommendations above work for your needs.

Let us know your thoughts and we'll advise accordingly.

The Fenway area itself is not very good for hotels. The closest 'downtown' area is Copley/Back Bay, and you could walk -- it would be a mile to a mile and a half depending on the hotel. The Hyatt in Cambridge would be about the same distance to Fenway (and that's also a nice walk over the bridge). Back Bay is a quick Green Line trip from Fenway, and in general anywhere downtown or even some places in Brookline and Brighton will be very accessible on the T (from Fenway).

Thereuare is right that you should add Quincy Market; the Next Step zones you're looking at (Harbor, Brookline/Brighton, Cambridge) seem right to me, too.

Thanks everyone. I will add Quincy Market.

I'm not too worried about the Fenway thing, as I know we can get there from the T.

I'll probably bid later tonight and see what I can get. I made a backup reservation at enVision hotel in Mission Hill as back up for like $200/nt.

So to confirm we're biddig: Copley Sq, Boston Common, Beacon Hill, and Quincy Market

What star level and maximum bid do you want to try for?

Let us know the above and we'll suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Yes, confirm those zones.

I'm willing to take suggestions regarding 3 vs 3.5. We really just want a clean bed in a decent area, so if we can save a lot by going to 3*, then that's great, but its only going to be like $5 or $10 extra per night for 3.5*, then that'd be preferable.

I think that $175 may be tough at either star level, but with a bit of time on your side i would start with the following:

When bidding 3.5* in Boston you have FIVE re-bid zones, at the 3* level only one re-bid zone. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 3.5* Copley Square and Boston Common...

Bid $100, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $105, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $110, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* Beacon Hill and Quincy Market...

Bid $100, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $105, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $110, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Select 3.5* Copley Square and Beacon Hill...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* Boston Common and Quincy Market...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* Copley Square and Quincy Market...

Bid $143, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $148, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* Beacon Hill and Boston Common...

Bid $143, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $148, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* Boston Common and Copley Square and Quincy Market...

Bid $153, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $155, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $158, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $160, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* Boston Common and Copley Square and Beacon Hill...

Bid $153, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $155, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $158, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $160, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* Copley Square and Boston Common and Beacon Hill and Quincy Market

Bid $163, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $165, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $168, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $170, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $173, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $175

If the above is rejected, close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3* Copley Square and Boston Common...

Select 3* Beacon Hill and Quincy Market...

Select 3* Copley Square and Beacon Hill...

Bid $135, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* Boston Common and Quincy Market...

Bid $135, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* Copley Square and Quincy Market...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* Beacon Hill and Boston Common...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* Copley Square and Quincy Market and Boston Common...

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $155, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* Copley Square and Quincy Market and Beacon Hill...

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $155, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* Boston Common and Beacon Hill and Copley Square...

Bid $160, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $165, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* Boston Common and Beacon Hill and Quincy Market...

Bid $160, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $165, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* Boston Common and Beacon Hill and Copley Square and Quincy Market...

Bid $170, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $175

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

So I've been slammed with work the last two days and haven't gotten a chance to actually bid again since earlier. However, I did put in a "Look-No-Further" best rate guarantee claim w/ Marriott for the Courtyard Copley Square (my original reservation was $499 Th, $309 Fr, $309 Sat, $299 Sun) and got approved for a rate of $201 (which I can pay for with Marriott giftcards and get about a 20% rebate in Southwest points, so I'm calling it $160 per night). Any chance I'm going to beat that deal? This was actually the main hotel I wanted to stay at in the area that I wanted to stay in, so I'm thinking this might be my best bet. I didn't think I had any chance at getting a rate like this without going through Priceline.

Let me know if you think I could do much better. I clicked the "Priceline" link on the site a few times and will continue to do so as I really appreciate the help you've given me.

If you're willing to pay a little more for a higher rated hotel, you could book the Sheraton Boston for $193/nite for your dates... but at current prices i don't think you'll be able to beat the $160/nite rate you have for anything 3* or better).. but no reason not to try the bidding above up to your maximum bid, as worst case scenario is you get a higher rated hotel for less than your current back-up.

Let us know what you ultimately decide or if we can be of further help along the way.

I tried to see if I could get anything cheaper than $160, but I(unsurprisingly) had no luck. Last night I bought the Marriott giftcards since it takes a few business days to get them and didn't want to cut it too close. In the end, I'm happy with where I ended up. Next time before I book a trip I'll do a little more research on hotels beforehand so I'm not surprised when they are way more expensive than I was expecting.

Thanks again for all your help.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]